LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the comments so far. Those I had talked to before posting said popular or chestnut. I had not considered pine. I guess because there are no knots. Something this old might not have had knots like today.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Stained, or originally painted then stripped? Is it all one wood, considering that it was originally surely painted? It doesn't look like a single kind of wood to me. The board under the wing ornament looks like a nice hardwood, while the boards under it look to be a different wood. The details look too crisp to be centruy-old beat up pine.

You'd have to see it in person, but from the picture I'd guess mixed lighter hardwoods, one or more of poplar (ie, tuliptree), chestnut, sweetgum. Is it from the South?

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
I don't think poplar.

i am thinking Maple or gumwood.
Sweetgum /Red gum was used often as a go to "universal wood" by furniture makers for the first half of the 20th century.
Sweet Gum
Brown Rectangle Wood Beige Wood stain

RED - gum
Brown Amber Rectangle Wood Flooring

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After talking to the customer more, it was made by her great great grandfather. It could verywell be 150 years old. To her knowledge it had not been refinished, ever. Again thanks for the help. This will be a process.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I'm not really good at this subject but looks like a mixture. I can see possible popular and may be pine. I would love to know what stain would give it the color your going to have to match. Hope you'll post it when done.
Gerald

·
Registered
456 Posts
Don't really know The blotching makes me think maple as 1st choice. Pine does the same, but I think the wood is too clear ( no knots). I am not sure on Adler, but I think it also blotches. I haven't used sweet gum, but maybe that is it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.