LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
When I moved into my new house, there was a saw in the garage. Please don't consider me ignorant however, my knowledge of tools and what they're used for is very limited to Dremels!
Is this like a radial arm saw and can this blade, whatever it is, be changed to a single type blade? Is this as old as the hills? It does work.
Thank you so much.

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
Looks like a radial arm with a dado blade attached. If that's the case, you could certainly use a regular blade.

·
Registered
13,760 Posts
that is definitely a radial arm saw ,
the dado blades are used to make groves .
how many blades together determines how wide the grove is .
you can take those blades off ,
and put on a regular blade for cross cuts .
how big a blade is determined buy the guard ,
( not shown ) ,
read the model# and the make ,
i'm sure someone can get all the info on that saw for you .
looks like an old dewalt .

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Jordan, ignorance is OK, it can be fixed by asking questions, as you did. Stupid, in contrast, can't be fixed. As has been stated, this is a radial arm saw. I would ask that you pull the saw head all the way towards you, and try to pull it left and right (doesn't have to be turned on). If you get some sideways movement, do what I did and recycle it for the metal. It won't make square cuts if it's worn out. You'll be way better off with a table saw and sleds.

Yes, my father's old '60s RAS got recycled due to slop when fully extended- I do much higher precision work than lopping off studs for building a house. But I saved the table frame for my new birch workbench top, since that table frame was so solid.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Looks like a stacked dado blade on the radial arm saw. A stacked dado blade can be adjusted for cutting various widths of grooves. Dados will cut,lets say,a 3/4in. wide by 1/4in. deep groove in the side of your panel for glueing your book shelf into.
|

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
Jordan I´m with KnotWright be exstreme careful they are indeed dangerus to opperate
and for goodness sake find that bladegard or by one before you try it.
read all you can on how to opperate this kind of saw before using it.
and if there is no sloop in it you are lucky becourse it can nearly make all kinds
of cut you want except curved cutting, that´s a job for the bandsaw
good luck with it if you deside to use the saw

Dennis

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey you guys, thanks so much for all of the info - before I moved to this city, the home owner told me there was an old saw in the garage - and since I've always wanted a radial arm saw, in my mind I said "If the saw is a radial arm saw, then moving is good omen. Then when I saw it and the unfamiliar blade, I figured it was half an omen - but now you've confirmed that this was a good move for us. You guys are super!!!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
hey jordan those dado blades are pretty expensive if you dont figure out how to use them you can always list them on ebay and get enough to buy a nice new saw blade for that radal arm saw but really you got pretty lucky getting that saw and that set of dado blades very nice find there !

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.