LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
My compressor motor lost its key, and the pulley that was attached chewed up the shaft and keyway pretty good. The keyway is beyond filing and/or grinding. Other than that there is nothing wrong with the motor. Runs, is quiet, has maybe 10 hours on it max.

The motor new is over $400.00

BUT: I called our local electric motor repair facility and he said the shaft would have to be "re-metalized," whatever that means.

He said it wouldn't be cheap either. He didn't elaborate on the price.

So here's my dilemma: the compressor company already sent me a free new motor and the compressor is up and running. The old motor is pristine except for the shaft.

Should I just recycle it? Throw it away? Give it away? Have it re-metalized and then try to sell it?

What's your advice?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Padre,

As you have nothing invested, try to build up the shaft with JB Weld. It's a two part epoxy-like confection that after 24 hours can be machined like steel. Then, as Skeezics suggests, use a grade 5 or grade 8 set screw to secure it. You will always find a use for something right after the garbage truck leaves.

Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.