LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello.
I am very new to woodworking and when I cut box joints I like to have even joints. I always seem to pick the wrong size ones that leave me a little part then have to carry it to next board. Is there a simple way to know what width of of cut to use with what size board? I know this is simple to most of you but I am just BANGing my head on my saw every night. PLEASE HELP

·
Registered
12,820 Posts
I limit my box joint sizes to 3/8, 1/2 or 5/8. That means if I want even spacing my box width need to be a multiple of one of those sizes.

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
I think is just a matter of proportion and whats pleasing to the eye. I usually go with larger box joints for thicker and larger wood and or larger projects,as an example a small jewelry box with 1/2" thick material I might do 1/4" box joints ,but a blanket chest I might have1" box joints.

·
In Loving Memory
15,066 Posts
I agree totally with Gene on the box layout/planning.

Personally, I prefer the slim, rectangular look over the square box joints so I almost always use 1/4" box joints but I LOVE the look of 1/8" box joints (they leave little room for error when cutting them!). They are particularly cool with contrasting woods.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I agree totally with Gene on the box layout/planning.

Personally, I prefer the slim, rectangular look over the square box joints so I almost always use 1/4" box joints but I LOVE the look of 1/8" box joints (they leave little room for error when cutting them!). They are particularly cool with contrasting woods.

- gfadvm
I like the look of 1/4" also…...Thinking of a 1/8" set up!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've always made my box joints the same width as the thickness of the lumber I was using. May not apply to every singles situation, but most of the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.