LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi folks,

i got my new milwaukee 5615-20 router a couple of weeks ago with a fixed base and a plunge base, 1.75 hp. I've used it and like it and also got a rockler benchtop router table for it.

So in the big case that the router came with was this part, that I have no clue what it is for. It is not pictured or mentioned in the manual. I'm sure all you lj will know immediately what it is, and what it is used for. Would appreciate an answer to this.

Many thanks as always.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, many thanks you guys. I think I understand. I have not worked with template guides so I'm not wrapping my head entirely around this, but I'm sure when I have one in my hands it'll be clear.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Makes sense to me
fiddle-
If we are all correct-you loosen your baseplate just enough to give it some play
Load the cone into your router just as if it were a bit.
Then raise your router til the cone presses against the center hole on your baseplate.
now you know that hole is centered on your collet-which means any bits you use will be centerd on the hole. Then you tighten the base plate.
As you said-it will be obvious once you use it.
This is CRUCIAL if you are going to use a guide bushing.
But it is helpful for normal use as well.
An off-center base plate means the distance from the outer edge of the baseplate to your bit will be different depending on which way you hold the router. Sometimes NOTICEABLY so.
Learned that one the hard way.

·
Registered
17 Posts
To amplify it is a centering jig for a router. I'd recommend it for both centering the baseplate and the template guide. In many baseplates there is enough play that you'll need to center the template guide in the baseplate as well.

Tim
(The pedants are revoliting)

·
Registered
190 Posts
DITTO to Tim
and I have a ruined bushing to prove it.
Relied on just centering the baseplate-and didnt realize my mistake until the bit ate through the bushing.
BTW-
That's why I hang out in places like LJ-- learning from your OWN mistakes gets old -
- would prefer to come by wisdom others have paid the price for :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.