LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
The stuff that is shiny on one side, dull on the other, and generally 3/16" or 1/4" is masonite. I think it's the same as is often used for peg-board, just without the holes. I would expect this as a backing material for a dresser or bookshelf. Thicker stuff in the 1/2" - 3/4" is more likely particle board and in Ikea furniture would have a surfacing material applied to make it white or fake wood or whatever else would be more likely for larger shelves. Medium density fiberboard is probably not what you are looking for but is a finer version of particle board (fibers in MDF vs the small chunks in particle board). On the coarser side you get flake board where the pieces that are glued together are up to several inches long. This is generally not going to be used for furniture I don't think.

Share a picture for better confirmation.

Cheers,
-kyle

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
If it's rough, like the cardboard description you've given, it's most likely Masonite. If it's darker and harder, then it's tempered Masonite.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Masonite is a man made material used for cheaper furniture. It is used for furniture backs and even for drawer bottoms. As a drawer bottom, it is very poor compared to plywood and I would never use it for such.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Its age old hardboard that's what we call it here in the uk. It has been around for along time.It is cheap and cheerful not good really but there are times when it is useful.You are correct in saying it cannot be compared with Plywood.It is not nearly so strong or indeed tough you can tear it like cardboard with both hands if you try.Have fun, and I hope it works out for you.Alistair

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.