LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
This is not a newbie question, I'd like to know what grit you find yourself using the most?

Back in Spring I picked up a Jet JSG-6 from the GM Janesville plant auction. It's been sitting in the garage since then because I didn't have benchtop space for it. Well I got the Jet enclosed stand for it Friday (that was a total fiasco, took 2 months to the day) so I'm cleaning it up and mounting it and soon will be using it. So I'm wondering what is the most popular grit that is used.

I tend to use a lot of 220 grit so I'm wondering if that would be a good choice. With my planer and jointer doing a good job at keeping the wood smooth, and also drum sander, I don't use a lot of 80, 120, or even 150. In fact I have 120 and 220 for the drum sander and pretty much only use 220.

The belt is pretty easy to change so I'm thinking maybe have a few grits on hand, but which ones? The disc is not so easy to change and then reuse the disc over but I have discs on hand for my Delta 12" disc sander so for now I'll use one of those.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I use 120 grit and that's all I have ever used. Nothing but rough sanding. I find it to hard to control the piece I'm sanding with a belt to use it for anything else. I use 220 on the disk.

That said, and your right the paper is easy to change, I'd try a 120 and 220 for starters and see what your results are and what all you can use it for.

Just my 2¢

·
Registered
60 Posts
Curt : I use from 60 to 120 on my belt sander, all acording to how much material I have to remove, anything requiering finer than 120 and up to 220 I use my random orbit sander, anything above 220 I do by hand either with a block, a padded block or just the bare hand.
That works for me
Lou

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all. I'm thinking I'll start out with 120, 180, and 220 and maybe a 60 or 80 then. Not sure what all I'll use the belt for yet. My staple has been the Delta 12" disc and I think I typically had 80 to 120 on it. I'm going to put a 220 disc on the Jet and keep the coarser grit on the Delta so between those two and the belts I should be set pretty good.

I happened to stop at HF this afternoon and noticed they have belts for like $2 and some change, anybody know if they're any good? For that price they might be worth a try though.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
BlankMan, I change belts a lot more than I do socks and it all depands on what I am sanding and at what stage the sanding is. It is very easy to change the belts so…
If you have an ol' Griz drum sander that is a different story because it is a pain in the bottom to change the grit on… so I leave whatever grit is on it until it shreds.

·
Registered
10,319 Posts
Since I use my belt sander for rough work I typically use 60 or 80 grit belts. When I take off a lot of material the rougher belts don't get nearly as hot.

It depends on what you are using it for.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.