LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Hey Guys, I know someone has my answer cause y'all always do.

I just finished a box and used some scrap Cocobolo as trim. Looks great but I have tried to finish it several ways and the Cocobolo always stays stick,. even 3-4 days later. I've tried rattle-can poly, wipe on poly, clear lacquer and Danish Oil. None of these worked. I brought it in the house where it would be warmer, I've washed the Cocobolo with paint thinner and again with Acetone., still no go. I know the wood is oily but I have had no trouble with other oily woods like Teak.

So what's the secret?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I agree about the dewaxed shellac. I'm surprised that you still had trouble after washing with Acetone. I usually wash the wood with Naphtha just before finishing, and it seems to do the trick with oily woods. The book I read said to apply the finish as soon as the Naphtha appears to have dried so that the oil doesn't seep back out. I don't know how much of a difference that would make, but maybe it would help. The book I read favored Naphtha because it dries extra fast which allows you to work with the wood quickly after washing it. Your situation sounds frustrating though! I hope you get it figured out.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I usually wash it with acetone JUST before adding the first coat - in my case, usually Tru-Oil or spray lacquer. Never had any problems. I think Spacehog is right, have to do the finish immediately after the wash.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
After having some minor reaction to breathing the dust from working with Cocobolo I found out it is a relative to Rosewood which figures as it is almost a hard and dense. These woods have an oil (sap?) in the wood that is mildly toxic. I imagine this oil is your finishing problem. I didn't encounter a finishing problem as I used shellac.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Soon as someone suggested the shellac, I remembered I had this problem before and shellac was the answer. Thanks to all who helped. One coat of shellac is already dry and it sealed good. Tomorrow I start building up coats of poky.

Y'all are good. LJ is a valuable resource.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.