LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
I became involved in another thread (Anyone Ever Use PLastic Lumber). An interesting point was raised about being a "purist".

What does it mean to be a purist? Do you consider yourself a purist? Does being a purist mean that you have reached an elite level of craftsmanship, or does it mean that you fail to embrace new technologies? In it's most absolute interpretation to be a purist, you should be living in the woods, chopping trees with selfmade tools. Or is a purist more of a relative interpretation. Can you cut dovetails with a router and consider yourself a purist? How about using screws? Polyurethane?

·
Registered
12,820 Posts
Hmmmm, Charlie. Applies to more than woodwork. i.e. I'm banned from the kitchen.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Main Entry: pur·ist
Pronunciation: \ˈpyu̇r-ist\
Function: noun
Date: circa 1706
: a person who adheres strictly and often excessively to a tradition; especially : one preoccupied with the purity of a language and its protection from the use of foreign or altered forms

As it relates to woodworking my understanding of a Purist is someone that works exclusively with hand tools.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
""As it relates to woodworking my understanding of a Purist is someone that works exclusively with hand tools.""

But a purist's purist would demand the hand tools also be made by hand…:)

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I don't cotton to that new-fangled Star Trek-style transporter technology where you just "beam away" any wood you don't want, so that makes me a power-tool purist.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I think of a purist as someone who, while using power tools, uses traditional methods of joinery, such as mortise and tennon and dovetails instead of pocket screws and staples; Someone who uses real wood rather than plywood for the backs and panels; and has the knowledge and tendency to use several types of handtools before a project is finished.

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
A purist is a person who operates or proceeds in a manner in such a way that they follow there best understanding of a given subject in a most absolute or exacting way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.