LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
What do you use for spreading glue?
And do you spread glue on one face or both?

I'm still experimenting trying everything from fingers, to brushes, scraps of wood, squirt bottle, roller, etc. Trying to decide what is the most efficient and speedy way to get glue evenly spread between two surfaces before clamping. What works best for you?

I've completely given up on trying to find the neatest way… I take a bath in the stuff every time. :)

·
Registered
719 Posts
I buy the acid brushes from H.F. and then cut off the britsels to about a half an inch. if you are edge glueing the rub joint seems to work real well also . If you are doing a large surface [such as veneering] I always use a scrap os thin plywood….........................Schloemoe

·
Registered
58 Posts
either a glue brush or my finger generally.use just enough glue so that both surfaces are shiney and wet. if you cant see the grain through the glue your using too much and the extra is just gonna splooge out. as there arent any dry spots youll get a strong bond.

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
For smaller areas like joints I use and acid brush or my finger. on larger areas I might use a bondo spreader. I also saw a tip on line for use the inside of a form brush that is just the handle and a plastic strip.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Like schloemoe I use the acid brushes from H.F., or I'll pick them up at the woodworking show. Either way they're only $4.99 for 36 at H.F. (on sale right now for $2.99) And I glue both sides completely, it uses more glue and waste some but I don't worry about my glue joints breaking.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Yup HF acid brushes or chip brushes with the bristles shortened.
Sometimes I wash them to be reused or just get lazy and throw them away.
For some reason, I think I read it in a woodworking magazine, it is better to
apply glue to both surfaces. Something about the moisture of each piece being the same,
they soak in the glue, and makes for a better glue up.
Or maybe I dreamed that one…

Lisa

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Mary Anne, do you have any pinking shears? Take all those freebie credit card offers and cut triangle points along one edge. They flex, and you can spread glue on surfaces in fine lines to perfection. I have a stack of them and use them as throw-aways for spreading glue.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Barb- I like this idea. It's like a mini adhesive trowel. Cool !!

Now seriously- call me paranoid but I sent Mary Anne
a PM about some of my gluing tools and I fear she is going to out me….
I will just post the PM before she does -

Mary Anne,
I use my mothers good silver butter knives, or pie server.
If I'm doing a large area, I use the bottom sole of my husbands Bostonian shoes.
In tight spots where you wish your fingers were smaller, I cut the arms off my daughters Barbies and "reach in" with the little hand….

Okay, I feel better now….

And it is okay if you get the glue all over your face, it's an excellent "peel"...LOL

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
Roller applicator bottle… for large glue ups…and for small weave glue ups I just squirt straight from the small Tite Bond III bottle and cover the surface and then splooge it against the next block…

·
Registered
499 Posts
i use my fingers for small areas, metal spatula for gluing tenons and mortises, a cheap brush for larger areas and when gluing panels together.
i used to use a brush for nearly everything, but the spatula is a much more effective tool for getting the right amount on tenons and inside mortises without making a mess.
and i always try to put glue on the two surfaces, especially when it needs to be really solid.

btw, does anyone else suffer from the plastic rear pants syndrome? i have the bad habit of whiping gluey fingers on my rear pocket, to the point where it becomes like solid plastic!

·
Registered
941 Posts
I use my fingers, acid brushes, pieces of old credit cards and, for applying glue to the substrate when veneering, a printer's roller. For larger surfaces, the printer's roller works very well, leaving a nice even coating of glue and not absorbing as much as does a foam paint roller. For really small glue jobs, like box joints, I normally use a toothpick.

Jim

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
I use foam brushes… no problem with the brushes falling apart. I also use the acid brushes that others talked about. I'm going to try to use the plastic inside the foam brushes (which, by the way, I buy at the craft stores for 0.05 cents each on sale - I buy a hundred of them when I can find that many) as someone else suggested.
I only put glue on 1 side of a cutting board glue up. I've never had a problem with them.
I don't have any Barbie dolls….
Ellen

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.