LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
This looks easy enough to build, but I'm trying to imagine a few of the things I can't quite see in the picture.

1) How do you think the bottom panel is joined? Rabbet to the side panels? Is that going to be strong enough to place things on?

2) Why do you think there is a rail on the back bottom only?

3) It looks like they put screws in the front with plugs. I try to avoid hardware whenever possible. Couldn't a dado and glue do just as well?

Furniture Table Wood Chair Rectangle

Attachments

·
Registered
973 Posts
Myself, I'd attach the bottom shelf in a dado about 1/2 inch from the bottom on the side panels and back rail. The back rail I assume is for a dado for the recessed back panel. And yeah, I'd think a dado and glue would do. Unless you're a masochist, then you could do a sliding dovetail or something.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Why do you think they have a back rail for the recessed panel on the back but not side rails for the same thing?

- LiveEdge
Cover up a mista… er.. design change.
That's what the wife wanted.
That's the way they built the one he copied.

Dunno. A dozen guys would probably put that together a dozen different ways.

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
I am one of those dozen guys … I would have used cleats, like the one in the back, under three sides of the shelf.
Those cleats could be dadoed into the back and side panels, attached to the shelf and allowed to float in the dadoes!

That's just one of the dozen answers!

·
Registered
326 Posts
You know that optical illusion drawing where you see either the profile of a grandmother or a fancy young lady turning her head?

I just looked at your picture out of the corner of my eye (Xena is on) and I'll be darned if that stretcher/rail in the bottom back corner doesn't look like a gap, with the floor showing through.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.