LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
A friend of mine heard that I was just getting into incorporating hand tools and gave me a couple of gifts. One being a Stanley #2, a egg beater drill and a little leather book that belonged to his grandfather, good little reference guide.
My question is about the drill. Is it a Stanley? Did all the drills have the style of bits shown or could this date it? It's missing the springs and also a washer, I think? I've been looking for the parts but haven't been able to locate them as of yet. Any ideas on what I can use instead? Maybe a pen spring and a steel washer?
Anyway, here's the book and drill pics.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Nice ID Doc. New chuck is probably the best bet, though you can find replacement springs. What washer do you think is missing?

Best I can figure out the bits are called drill point bits. They're fun to use vintage bits but not nearly as fast or effective as modern twist or brad point bits. I really only use an egg beater style drill for holes around 1/8" or smaller because a breast drill has so much more torque that it does a faster job and can drill larger holes of course.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.