LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
First, thank you to all the LJ's that helped me in the process of constructing my jewelry boxes. It has been extremely helpful. I made a prototype out of some spare lumber I had in the garage. I showed it to my wife who quickly said, "no. Too big, too bulky". So back outside I go and make 2 more prototypes. We have the right one now.

I have started to assemble the sides of the box. I am using wenge for the sides and the spalted maple for the top, and significantly less spalted maple on the bottom. I will have the top and bottom done in a week or so (depending on my garage time) and I have started to think about the finish.

I was initially thinking of a simple oil and wax finish. This can typically be applied to any project. However I don't know if that would be the best. Should I look into doing a shellac first coat and finishing with a poly or lacquer?

I want to beauty of the wood to be the primary focus. I don't think I want a high sheen on it but that might not be a bad idea.

Any thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I do not have very much experience with finishes yet but so far I have not found anything that danish oil looks "bad" on so I would say it is a safe bet. I really like the look of Shellac followed with a small amount of wax but I have not yet tried it myself. I plan on giving it a shot on my next project. I ordered some blonde and orange shellac samples from shellac.net. The sample size should be more than enough to use on a jewelery box and if I understand correctly, shellac is pretty easy to sand off if you don't like it.

You will have to let us see how which ever path you choose turns out!!

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I would say it depends on how you want the finish to be as far as how glossy you want it. I normally just use Danish oil and wax. I have a couple of boxes posted that you can see..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.