WEN - 4225 8.6-Amp Variable Speed Floor Standing Drill Press, 15-Inch (Rating: 5)

Wood Automotive tire Gas Machine Engineering

I bought a new floor standing drill press. After doing my usual research, this seemed to be the best bang for my buck. So far, I'm very happy with the quality and features. It includes all the standard items you'd expect from a drill press, such as a depth stop, adjustable speeds, and a work light, 8 amp (about 2/3 or 3/4 HP) motor.

Some extra features that make this machine somewhat unique are:

-Variable speed without changing the belts. There's a torque convertor that you turn with a handle on the left side. There's two belt settings, one for low, and one for high. Low speed is variable by the handle from 280 rpm to about 1300 rpm. Second speed is from 1200 or so to 3200 rpm.

-Speed indicator display. There's a little LED display on the front that shows the speed of the spindle. Only draw back is that it is always "ON" as long as the machine is plugged in. I may just put a switch on the power cord to remedy this. Otherwise, really handy!!

-Work light with LED bulb, included with the machine. Works very well. It did get a tiny bit smooshed in the shipping process, but I just have it a little squeeze and formed it back to round. Not a huge issue - and when that's the extent of shipping damage, I feel pretty fortunate!

-Laser cross hairs. This shows where the bit will drill. It was aligned within about 1/32nd of an inch right out of the box. They are adjustable, so I zeroed it all the way, and it works very well. It is able to be switched off.

-Extra wide base. It won't tip quite as easily as your standard narrow base.

Some other things I found:

-Watch out, the table had some sharp edges where the top was milled. I sanded them off - not a huge deal. The table is also not milled completely flat. I haven't taken a feeler gauge to it, but I noticed a little light under my straight edge. I'm planning to build a solid wood table for it, so I don't think it's going to be an issue in the long run.

-The chuck is 5/8", and seems really well made. It operates smoothly, and will grab really small bits.

-The quill depth is a full 4". That's longer than most. I don't have any way to check runout, but it does seem pretty tight, and no discernible wobble.

-Overall fit and finish are not top of the line. But I didn't expect that for the price ($500). Everything fits together well, however, and aside from the table being a tiny bit out of flat, it all seems square and true.

I'm giving this machine a solid 5 stars as compared to some of the other machines I've seen and used. They are less features for the same or more price.

Update June 2018:
I replaced the chuck on this Drill press - I'm very pleased with the performance of the chuck, and it has really made this drill press better.

http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/11273