LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
What kind of rag and what do you mean by damp rag, level of wetness? Does it leave water residue behind after wiping?

I've found that a regular cotton rag doesn't do a good job of wiping dust off.

I use a microfiber cloth and spray it 1 time with a spray bottle before wiping.

--

Other thoughts:
Is the place where it dries dusty?
Is the paint old or dirty?
Brush old or dirty?
Did you sand and put a finish coat or was the last step where you sanded the final coat?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think Tomd is onto something. I paint under the same conditions and the same means, even use a cotton towel, and have never had those issues but I always prime bare wood. The only other possibility I can think of that hadn't been mentioned is if this paint is particularly thick and has a short open time and you're having problems with the brush dragging, in which case you can add floetrol or even thin it just a bit, but I think it's a primer issue.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
You almost certainly have grain raising, caused either by the "damp" rag or the paint itself. I suspect the wood is sealed now, so if you smooth off the fibers and re paint everything will be in good shape. It is useful to prime first, I use Zinnser BIN shellac based primer, it can be smoothed really easily and provides a good base for the acrylic.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
The coat of any film finish on bare wood will raise the grain, giving the wood a rough feel, and it doesn't matter if it (the primer) is the final finish or shellac. Eliminate the roughness by lightly sanding with 220 sandpaper or drywall screen. Proceed by applying the final finish in as many coats as desired with no sanding between coats.

Since any finish can act as its own primer, there's no functional point in using shellac as the first coat. It has to be smoothed anyway before anything else goes on top.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.