LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Will this type of oil finish be okay to use on a humidor or should I use something else? I'm getting ready to start building some humidors out of cherry and walnut, lined with spanish cedar. I would like to use the Watco natural finish oil on the outside of the box. I've never used this particular oil on my projects, but I like the finishes that I've seen with this oil. I'm just concerned that the oil soaking through and affecting the cigar flavor. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Jason, I believe you concerns are viable ones. I would agree with Randy as for the shellac. Watco would probably be ok, but I'd hate to take a chance on some high dollar Cubans!

Generally, once the solvents are gone in a finish, so will be the smell. I would give it at least a few days to dry if you choose the Watco. Shellac…a couple of hrs.
John

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
Hey Jason
I would go with another finish. depending on temperature and humidity it could take weeks for it to dry and like others have said it should not be used on the inside any how.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Thanks guys. I've never used shellac before, however, I'm willing to give it a try. I'll read up a bit on how to apply it, but if any of you have any tips to offer, I'd appreciate it.

I do plan on finishing only the outside, the inside will remain all natural.

Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.