LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need advice

I too have inherited this RA saw. I have been using it and enjoyed many years working with my Dad with this tool.
Recently it has been sporatically not starting when I press the trigger (with the key in of course). I know my Dad had to replace the brush and spring at one time. If these need replacing will this cause my problem? Any help will be appreciatated.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Need advice

I too have inherited this RA saw. I have been using it and enjoyed many years working with my Dad with this tool.
Recently it has been sporatically not starting when I press the trigger (with the key in of course). I know my Dad had to replace the brush and spring at one time. If these need replacing will this cause my problem? Any help will be appreciatated.
I have a Sears RAS and it quit working once and all I had to do was blow out all the sawdust from the inside of the motor.

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
Need advice

Yes, I think that this is most likely the issue.

I use my tools on a daily basis and when they start acting up, it is usually the brushes on both corded and cordless tools

The next most frequent repair is a cord wears out right where it enters the tool or the switch goes bad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Need advice

Well the brushes look fine so I ordered a new trigger switch. Meanwhile I'll start vacuming the whole motor casing. ;-)

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Need advice

Might also want to have the motor capacitor checked

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Need advice

well I checked the Brushes an dthey are a good inch long so that doesn't seem to be the problem. Next I ordered and replaced the trigger switch … still no luck.
The motor case itself is tightly covering the motor so I haven't gone into that portion of the saw. I have a new problem in that after replacing the screws holdin ghte motor on to the yolk I can seem to rotate the motor to access the 20,000 spindle. Any thoughts on this problem?

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
Need advice

Yep

·
Registered
2 Posts
Need advice

where did you order the trigger switch replacement? I need to replace mine as the plastic casing has cracked and the switch sticks "on".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Need advice

A company call Toolkraft http://www.toolkraft.com/
a very nice guy and was quite helpful. Unfortunately that didn't solve my problem. I'm now trying to find a local guy who can possibly help me figure out whats wrong. Otherwise I need to junk the whole saw. (

·
Registered
2 Posts
Need advice

Thanks for the tip! Hope you find someone to help you. I really like the versatility of the Powr Kraft saw.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Need advice

I have been using the Wards RAS since the early 70's and can probably help with adjustments.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Need advice

I came across an easy replacement for the 3,450 auxiliary spindle (#2-353) which doesn't seem to be available. As you know, the spindle is ½"-20 which will fit most standard drill chucks. However getting a shaft (for wire brushing, polishing) onto the spindle requires an adapter. Today I found that ACE hardware stocks a ½"-20 connecting nut.
So basically all you need is the nut ($4.40) and some jam nuts and ½" fine thread (½"-20) bolts. They are also available at Grainger ($44.00/10pk).
I'm still working on the ½" router collet from Porter Cable that is 'supposed' to work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.