LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What to do?

Well, after that last project was done, I still had a chunk leftover..
Wood Sleeve Flooring Hardwood Human leg

Not the greatest looking, but maybe i can make…something out of it?

tried a few tricks to use what tools i had, just to resaw the plank to two thinner boards…
Wood Machine tool Gas Tool Toolroom

"Plan" was to run the circular saw down all four edges. Needed to joint this edge a bit. Set up a fence on the saw….and tried my luck..
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Saw Wood Machine tool

Not the best cut I've ever done…the other edge was almost as good/bad….then the end grain cuts….saw did not like going full depth on the job..
Wood Automotive tire Composite material Motor vehicle Gas

Well, first plan to split this slab in two was to use a handsaw to finish the cut…...note to self, go out and BUY a good rip saw. Then I tried the Texas Bandsaw…...board was 1" too tall to fit through…..slammed the board back onto the bench, marked a line right down the center, and ran the fence-less circular saw to make two 1×5 boards. Tried the bandsaw, again. Blade was about as dull as Ferris Bueller's High School teacher…...Back to the bench, clamped the boards on edge, marked a center line and made a cut. Wound up with a few boards that might work..

Let these sit a few days..
Wood Building Composite material Building material Gas

meanwhile, I bought a new 1/2" wide blade for the bandsaw. Used it to get rid of the worst of the cuts. Then got a Mountain Dew..
Table Wood Aluminum can Tin can Gas

You might be able to see some of the scraps I cut from the boards. Did a bit of cross cutting to get three boards that were close to the same size. They still needed to be flattened ….so each went into the vise for a "trim"
Hand tool Wood Metalworking hand tool Gas Auto part

This be the first of three. Plane is a Stanley No.5c, with a fairly decent camber to it. Shredded the face down to almost flat, BIG curlie things everywhere. Followed up with a smaller Millers Falls No.11 with a straight edge on it's iron.

Got all three planed about flat. needed the edge jointed before a glue up could be done. made a sammich out of all three, clamped them into the vise. That Junior jack was used to joint all the edges at once.
Wood Motor vehicle Gas Machine Machine tool

Got both sets of edges done. Then the real fighting took place..pipe clamp war!

Finally got them to hold on to the panel in-waiting..
Turned the mess 90 degrees, and used two more, non-pipe clamps to hold things in place.
Wheel Wood Gas Machine Automotive wheel system

I can let this sit overnight. Later, I can flatten the entire panel, and square things up. Then figure out what size table/nightstand to build. And then figure out what style of legs to make.

We just getting started….stay tuned…

Attachments

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
What to do?

tried a few tricks to use what tools i had, just to resaw the plank to two thinner boards…

"Plan" was to run the circular saw down all four edges. Needed to joint this edge a bit. Set up a fence on the saw….and tried my luck..

Not the best cut I've ever done…the other edge was almost as good/bad….then the end grain cuts….saw did not like going full depth on the job..

Well, first plan to split this slab in two was to use a handsaw to finish the cut…...note to self, go out and BUY a good rip saw. Then I tried the Texas Bandsaw…...board was 1" too tall to fit through…..slammed the board back onto the bench, marked a line right down the center, and ran the fence-less circular saw to make two 1×5 boards. Tried the bandsaw, again. Blade was about as dull as Ferris Bueller's High School teacher…...Back to the bench, clamped the boards on edge, marked a center line and made a cut. Wound up with a few boards that might work..

meanwhile, I bought a new 1/2" wide blade for the bandsaw. Used it to get rid of the worst of the cuts. Then got a Mountain Dew..

You might be able to see some of the scraps I cut from the boards. Did a bit of cross cutting to get three boards that were close to the same size. They still needed to be flattened ….so each went into the vise for a "trim"

This be the first of three. Plane is a Stanley No.5c, with a fairly decent camber to it. Shredded the face down to almost flat, BIG curlie things everywhere. Followed up with a smaller Millers Falls No.11 with a straight edge on it's iron.

Got all three planed about flat. needed the edge jointed before a glue up could be done. made a sammich out of all three, clamped them into the vise. That Junior jack was used to joint all the edges at once.

Turned the mess 90 degrees, and used two more, non-pipe clamps to hold things in place.

I can let this sit overnight. Later, I can flatten the entire panel, and square things up. Then figure out what size table/nightstand to build. And then figure out what style of legs to make.

A very well presented blog there Bandit.
The saw possibly has a crosscut or combination blade fitted, now with material you are working at the max depth of the cut as well you now know what the difference between rip and crosscut blades would be.

You certainly have produced some excellent results with the walnut.

I think you may be the type of person who would enjoy watching the youtube videos "Chop with Chris".
Take a look when you get a chance.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
33,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What to do?

Circular saw has an Irwin rip blade, carbide teeth.

The new Bandsaw blade is by Bosch. 80" length ( found out 82" won't work) and is 1/2" wide, 6 Tpi. still has a bit of drift. Planks have to go through at an angle, maybe 25 degrees or so. Might need to tune it up a smidge….

Once I find out what size of a top I have, I can then work out the base. Might add some Oak into this project….

Attachments

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
What to do?

Bartender, more Mountain Dew, the Bandit is rollin' again !

Attachments

·
Premium Member
33,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Making a top, and other parts...

Ok, when last seen, the top was sitting in a bunch of clamps…...

Got rid of the clamps today. Underside of the top needed some work…
Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Gas Engineering

This was after hitting the blank with a cambered jack plane, going straight across the grain. Used the #4 to finesse the flat spots. Even tried the #4 on some end grain..
Composite material Gas Wood Building material Concrete

wasn't too worried bout the ends at the corners. had something in mind for them. Used another "Dose Cap) to draw curves at all four corners. Then over to the smaller Bandsaw to cut the waste off..
Wood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Engineering

A Palm sander to smooth out the saw marks. Next, I laid the top flat on the bench, and laid out a few parts..
Wood Table Outdoor furniture Gas Flooring

The longer ones were too long, so I trimmed them down a bit, the "square" one? More on it in a bit

After cutting the long ones to a better length, I had to plane away saw marks from a resaw attempt. It was a might too wavy. Once both were flat and smoothed out, I paired them up into the vise..
Wood Gas Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Bumper

And jointed both edges to match. Now, as for that square thing….Used the parts I just planed and jointed to lay out two more the same width. Larger bandsaw at least cuts a straight line
Wood Composite material Hardwood Plank Metal

One face needed planed smooth, along with the sawn edges. Set all of these parts and the top aside…..have a bigger board to work on..
Wood Machine tool Workbench Gas Toolroom

Somewhere around 8/4" thick, and longer than my bench. Should be able to get four legs and some extra pieces out of it…
Wood Road surface Asphalt Wood stain Plank

At least 20" long for the leg blanks. Should be able to cut them square. have to watch out though
Wood Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Machine tool

That has some bark under there. Might try to find a use for some Live Edge Oak? Still have a few "leftovers" stashed away..
Wood Hardwood Lumber Flooring Plank

Wonder what I can do with those…..after this table is done….might even try tapered legs….using just a handplane?

Stay tuned….

Attachments

·
Premium Member
33,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Needed a few legs

Table n;eeds legs, right? Didn't have enough walnut to make any decent ones…..I did have a slab of white oak, though…..Had to haul it to the shop, first.

Today, did a couple crosscuts. Used the Vintage saw for this job….going to be a power tool day..
Table Wood Gas Workbench Art

This is set up for the second cut. First cut was to trim the end as square as I could…left this piece as a cutoff..
Wood Circuit component Rectangle Metal Fashion accessory

Second cut, I had a clamp back at the rear, to keep things from moving too far. This left me with two 20" slabs that needed a little more "refinement" . Fired up the bandsaw, trying to make a few square ( almost) turning blanks..
Wood Motor vehicle Gas Machine Metal

1/2" wide blade on the bandsaw, still slow going, but it tried to follow the lines, this time around…Got four blanks finally cut
Wood Gas Rectangle Hardwood Machine

They did need a clean up. Clamped up between the bench dogs, and a couple planes to smooth things out..
Wood Motor vehicle Gas Machine tool Automotive exterior

Meanwhile…where is that lathe at, anyway? Rumour control says it is under there, somewhere..
Wood Machine Gas Machine tool Metal

Did some digging around, move some stuff to another stash area..
Wood Art Gas Machine Metal

Well, well, there it is, along with a few DULL tools. Got those sharpened back up ( been awhile) and then found a center point on each end of the first blank. One just had a pointy tool drove into it, the other, better end had this
Milling Wood Jig grinder Machine tool Gas

Got the blank mounted on the lathe, hand spun to make sure it will work. Had to dig around for a power cord to start the lathe up with. made a few marks, turned the lathe on…...nothing flew out into space..whew. Turned the first of four legs..
Wood Gas Machine Auto part Landscape

The "top" is square for a few inches, about twice the width of the aprons. The rest was just the MK1 Eyeball. Sanded and burnished, then set aside as a pattern for the other three. Next two went …OK….but trouble started in on the last leg….Seems the pulley that drives the drive spur wanted to back off it's shaft…..it would then hit the motor, and try to throw the belt. Hammer to re-adjust….a few times,,,took a bigger hammer to cure that.
Finally got all four legs turned.
Gas Wood Electrical wiring Machine Metal

I was walking around about ankle deep in this stuff..
Brown Wood Tints and shades Hardwood Flooring

I laid a few other parts out, to get set up for the next day's job..
Wood Hardwood Composite material Font Stairs

Got Mortise & Tenon work to do,..with a twist. Ends of the aprons will get a bevel cut, so the legs will splay out a bit. maybe 5 degrees or so. Might add some curves to the aprons, too.

Need to find something to do with these cut-offs..
Vehicle Wood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

There are two boards sitting there, 20" long. They have bark on them. And some interesting grain
Wood Flooring Tints and shades Hardwood Machine

lathe is not set up for bowl turning, nor do I have the right chisels for that. Might find something to do with it later, I guess..

I 'm bushed, so that will be it for today…..stay tuned….

Attachments

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Needed a few legs

Table n;eeds legs, right? Didn't have enough walnut to make any decent ones…..I did have a slab of white oak, though…..Had to haul it to the shop, first.

Today, did a couple crosscuts. Used the Vintage saw for this job….going to be a power tool day..

This is set up for the second cut. First cut was to trim the end as square as I could…left this piece as a cutoff..

Second cut, I had a clamp back at the rear, to keep things from moving too far. This left me with two 20" slabs that needed a little more "refinement" . Fired up the bandsaw, trying to make a few square ( almost) turning blanks..

1/2" wide blade on the bandsaw, still slow going, but it tried to follow the lines, this time around…Got four blanks finally cut

They did need a clean up. Clamped up between the bench dogs, and a couple planes to smooth things out..

Meanwhile…where is that lathe at, anyway? Rumour control says it is under there, somewhere..

Well, well, there it is, along with a few DULL tools. Got those sharpened back up ( been awhile) and then found a center point on each end of the first blank. One just had a pointy tool drove into it, the other, better end had this

Got the blank mounted on the lathe, hand spun to make sure it will work. Had to dig around for a power cord to start the lathe up with. made a few marks, turned the lathe on…...nothing flew out into space..whew. Turned the first of four legs..

The "top" is square for a few inches, about twice the width of the aprons. The rest was just the MK1 Eyeball. Sanded and burnished, then set aside as a pattern for the other three. Next two went …OK….but trouble started in on the last leg….Seems the pulley that drives the drive spur wanted to back off it's shaft…..it would then hit the motor, and try to throw the belt. Hammer to re-adjust….a few times,,,took a bigger hammer to cure that.

Got Mortise & Tenon work to do,..with a twist. Ends of the aprons will get a bevel cut, so the legs will splay out a bit. maybe 5 degrees or so. Might add some curves to the aprons, too.

There are two boards sitting there, 20" long. They have bark on them. And some interesting grain

lathe is not set up for bowl turning, nor do I have the right chisels for that. Might find something to do with it later, I guess..

Looks great, Bandit. I see you have a Craftsman band saw. I'll have to figure out how you get it to cut well, since I always have issues on mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Needed a few legs

Lookin' good !

Attachments

·
Premium Member
33,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got a little more done...

Before I got tired of fighting things. IF I got too angry in the shop…..time to quit for the day. better luck the next day, right?

Anyway, I had the aprons to mill into something usable….I hope. Ends needed cut at an angle [email protected] 15 or so degrees…closer to 10, maybe.
Hand tool Wood Burin Tool Metalworking hand tool

I used the bandsaw to cut the ends…..too much stuff in the way to use the mitrebox…plan so far is to splay the legs out a bit, almost like a Tavern table.
Wood Tool Gas Hardwood Auto part

Was trying to figure out how long the aprons needed to be. With the angled ends, and a 1/2" long tenon.
Wood Rectangle Gas Hardwood Composite material

While the "short" aprons will be a bit plain, the longer ones down the sides will be a little fancy..
Wood Gas Bumper Composite material Hardwood

Now, the way this whole Mortise & tenon Joinery stuff works for me, is the tenons get cut first. To that end, I needed to set up the bench..
Furniture Table Wood Gas Stool

That stool makes things a lot easier on the back, for me. Clamped things to the bench where I can work them over, and scrounged up a collection of tools to use…
Wood Gas Hardwood Metal Lumber

I tried out two saws for this job. The backsaw was a bit hard to see how deep is was going. The coping saw? When the back edge of the saw blade is just below the surface, I'm done. Then I tried the chisel & mallet routine.
Wood Gas Motor vehicle Machine tool Metal

But things came out a bit wavy. I do have a shoulder plane of sorts, though.
Wood Motor vehicle Bumper Gas Automotive exterior

had to adjust it a bit…iron was too far to one side. The curves on that apron?

These will be the fancy parts. Undecided about the ends. Anyway, needed a place to put all these tenons I've been cutting..
Wood Automotive tire Bumper Flooring Road surface

Clamp to hold the leg still is clear up here, because it would not hold anywhere else. Mortise chisel and the mallet to dig out the waste. A test fit?
Wood Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Machine

Will need a bit of fine tuning…rotate the leg, and chop some more..
Wood Tool Machine tool Gas Toolroom

I tried one more mortise, but things were acting up, stuff would get in my way, and would not get out of the way. That stool refused to slide around to where I wanted it to go…..until a size 11 shoes showed it where it was needed to be …

Maybe tomorrow, I can try again? I found the cause of the lathe's pulley sliding around and throwing the belt….set screw was a full turn from being tight…..I then gave it an extra 1/4 turn to make sure it stayed put. Might go back and add a second one on top of the first screw, to keep things in place..

Halfway done with the mortise and tenon work…..maybe by this weekend a glue up??? Stay tuned.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,293 Posts

Before I got tired of fighting things. IF I got too angry in the shop…..time to quit for the day. better luck the next day, right?

Anyway, I had the aprons to mill into something usable….I hope. Ends needed cut at an angle [email protected] 15 or so degrees…closer to 10, maybe.

I used the bandsaw to cut the ends…..too much stuff in the way to use the mitrebox…plan so far is to splay the legs out a bit, almost like a Tavern table.

Was trying to figure out how long the aprons needed to be. With the angled ends, and a 1/2" long tenon.

While the "short" aprons will be a bit plain, the longer ones down the sides will be a little fancy..

Now, the way this whole Mortise & tenon Joinery stuff works for me, is the tenons get cut first. To that end, I needed to set up the bench..

That stool makes things a lot easier on the back, for me. Clamped things to the bench where I can work them over, and scrounged up a collection of tools to use…

I tried out two saws for this job. The backsaw was a bit hard to see how deep is was going. The coping saw? When the back edge of the saw blade is just below the surface, I'm done. Then I tried the chisel & mallet routine.

These will be the fancy parts. Undecided about the ends. Anyway, needed a place to put all these tenons I've been cutting..

Clamp to hold the leg still is clear up here, because it would not hold anywhere else. Mortise chisel and the mallet to dig out the waste. A test fit?

I tried one more mortise, but things were acting up, stuff would get in my way, and would not get out of the way. That stool refused to slide around to where I wanted it to go…..until a size 11 shoes showed it where it was needed to be …

Maybe tomorrow, I can try again? I found the cause of the lathe's pulley sliding around and throwing the belt….set screw was a full turn from being tight…..I then gave it an extra 1/4 turn to make sure it stayed put. Might go back and add a second one on top of the first screw, to keep things in place..

Halfway done with the mortise and tenon work…..maybe by this weekend a glue up??? Stay tuned.
Looking good, as always. Nice to see the progress.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,568 Posts

I'm following along, Bandit.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,120 Posts

Watching all the way Bandit ..

Attachments

·
Registered
519 Posts

Looking good, Bandit. I can't agree with you more about giving it a rest when your gear/tools starts refusing to cooperate. I was recently trying to install some drawer slides, and had every kind of problem I could imagine. I ended up creating more work and did some damage to my project that I will have to figure out a fix for. Came back the next day, and within 20 minutes the drawer was installed and working as it should.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
33,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Time for Elmer to take over

Well, when last seen, I had one more mortise to chop. Have since got that done…..no more chisel work! Good thing, as I need the space on my bench's top. Tried a few ways to clamp things up.
Wood Automotive tire Gas Engineering Machine

Left the long apron un-glued, for awhile. Glued the short aprons in place. Had a lot of trouble ( and cussing) trying to get the clamps to stay put. Got out a few wedges…...they slid around…..put a nail through the wedge….clamp wanted to slide off the wedge…..maybe IF the nail was where the clamp wanted to slide?
Wood Gas Machine Metal Auto part

Needed a few extra clamps to hold the assembly in place.

One in the middle of the apron, one stretching between the leg's tops, as they wanted to rotate a bit. Let this mess sit, wanted to glue up the other side. Just the long apron, this time..
Wood Gas Machine Metal Room

Same story with the wedges. Got this one to lay flat…finally. Trudged back upstairs for awhile..

Got down there again. Wanted the other long apron glued in place. Same fighting going on….Finally got it clamped up. Had errands to run….BRB

Ok, Today. Got the last assembly ready to go. Gingerly took off a couple clamps and added some glue to the tenons on the short aprons…without the whole mess exploding in my face
Wood Gas Engineering Industry Machine

Not as complicated as it looks. had to add one extra nail into a wedge, it wanted to rotate. While all of this was curing in the clamps….I scrounged up a drill bit, and a couple 7/16" dowel rods. Marked a point about 7" up from the bottom of the leg. Drill bit didn't want to start at that spot….ok, we have ways…
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Wood Gas Bumper

Wiggled it a bit, as well, as the bit was a bit big
Motor vehicle Wood Gas Automotive exterior Machine

But at least the drill itself is "Vintage" Drilled down a bit, trying to keep things lined up. Repeat on another leg, find out how long to make the dowel. Glue on the ends, and set it in place…
Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Gas Engineering

Then spent some time, working my way around the legs…
Wood Gas Composite material Automotive exterior Metal

Hoping the holes didn't meet inside the leg. Finally get all four dowels set.
Gas Wood Machine Engineering Auto part

And called it a day/night….. Maybe tomorrow, I can sneak back down there, remove the clamps? The tops of the legs will need "leveled" out. Then maybe some clips to hold the top in place? LOTS of sanding to do, too.

Stay tuned, we be getting there….

Attachments

·
Registered
4,293 Posts

Well, when last seen, I had one more mortise to chop. Have since got that done…..no more chisel work! Good thing, as I need the space on my bench's top. Tried a few ways to clamp things up.

Left the long apron un-glued, for awhile. Glued the short aprons in place. Had a lot of trouble ( and cussing) trying to get the clamps to stay put. Got out a few wedges…...they slid around…..put a nail through the wedge….clamp wanted to slide off the wedge…..maybe IF the nail was where the clamp wanted to slide?

One in the middle of the apron, one stretching between the leg's tops, as they wanted to rotate a bit. Let this mess sit, wanted to glue up the other side. Just the long apron, this time..

Same story with the wedges. Got this one to lay flat…finally. Trudged back upstairs for awhile..

Got down there again. Wanted the other long apron glued in place. Same fighting going on….Finally got it clamped up. Had errands to run….BRB

Ok, Today. Got the last assembly ready to go. Gingerly took off a couple clamps and added some glue to the tenons on the short aprons…without the whole mess exploding in my face

Not as complicated as it looks. had to add one extra nail into a wedge, it wanted to rotate. While all of this was curing in the clamps….I scrounged up a drill bit, and a couple 7/16" dowel rods. Marked a point about 7" up from the bottom of the leg. Drill bit didn't want to start at that spot….ok, we have ways…

But at least the drill itself is "Vintage" Drilled down a bit, trying to keep things lined up. Repeat on another leg, find out how long to make the dowel. Glue on the ends, and set it in place…

And called it a day/night….. Maybe tomorrow, I can sneak back down there, remove the clamps? The tops of the legs will need "leveled" out. Then maybe some clips to hold the top in place? LOTS of sanding to do, too.

Very nice, Bandit. Your project is coming along nicely.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,706 Posts

Looks good, Take care and work safe….do not be putting "stuff" on the wifes washing machine some unexpected "enemy" counter ambush action may occur and you could suffer a most serious injury!!

I will be staying tuned!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
33,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Top is on, and a coat of....

Witch's Brew. Got the top on last night, and brought the table upstairs to show off a bit..
Furniture Wood Table Rectangle Desk

Note to self: Next table, make the splay at 5 degrees, NOT 12. Also, use a thicker, wider top with these kind of fat legs
Wood Outdoor furniture Chair Natural material Composite material

The Boss has decreed this to be a Night stand/bedside table. She could also put one of her LARGE potted plants on it.
Table Wood Rectangle Stool Flooring

Table didn't need much sanding. Took it back down to the shop tonight. Thought about just a clear coat of varnish…but with them white legs…..maybe I should "Tan" them? Found the quart can of Witch's Brew..

Witch's Brew? A quart can, into which I pour the last remnants of whatever can of finish had been used in the shop…stains…..varnish…BLO….Rather than a collection of almost empty cans sitting around. Stirred this evil smelly brew up…..looked a might on the red side..
Wood Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part Metal

had to add a couple planks acroos the bench, this table has a WIDE stance.
Wood Gas Engineering Composite material Machine

I started out with the table sitting on it's top. I worked my way from the feet down to the top itself. There are white, plastic "Feet" at the end of each leg. just nailed on type on things. Point of the nail goes right where the dead center of the lathe was. I think you can see a couple under the legs.

Plan now? I will let this smelly mess dry over night, steel wool to "rub" it out. Then, maybe either a second coat of the Brew, or just a coat of gloss poly. Need to go out and get a few more brushes, too. Woodwork is done, finish is almost done…...next time I'll post as a Project, stay tuned for that….

Attachments

·
Registered
17,881 Posts

Witch's Brew. Got the top on last night, and brought the table upstairs to show off a bit..

Note to self: Next table, make the splay at 5 degrees, NOT 12. Also, use a thicker, wider top with these kind of fat legs

The Boss has decreed this to be a Night stand/bedside table. She could also put one of her LARGE potted plants on it.

Table didn't need much sanding. Took it back down to the shop tonight. Thought about just a clear coat of varnish…but with them white legs…..maybe I should "Tan" them? Found the quart can of Witch's Brew..

Witch's Brew? A quart can, into which I pour the last remnants of whatever can of finish had been used in the shop…stains…..varnish…BLO….Rather than a collection of almost empty cans sitting around. Stirred this evil smelly brew up…..looked a might on the red side..

I started out with the table sitting on it's top. I worked my way from the feet down to the top itself. There are white, plastic "Feet" at the end of each leg. just nailed on type on things. Point of the nail goes right where the dead center of the lathe was. I think you can see a couple under the legs.

Plan now? I will let this smelly mess dry over night, steel wool to "rub" it out. Then, maybe either a second coat of the Brew, or just a coat of gloss poly. Need to go out and get a few more brushes, too. Woodwork is done, finish is almost done…...next time I'll post as a Project, stay tuned for that….
I appreciate the "Notes to Self," and would agree at first glance. That said, I love the different feel the piece has. Turned the legs, too. A total win there. Q: Do you think the dowel-rod-type stringers will hold up over time? The 12 degree splay might have them a bit overexposed. I don't know how I'd ever locate the anchor points for those, you done good!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,120 Posts

I also think you may be right on the splay , but just the same very impressive creation Bandit.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,790 Posts

The splay of the legs is is not wrong in itself, it depends of the usage.
You might want to make a second one. I envision you learning to a big cat to spring from one stool to the other through a hoop ;-)

Support for a large plant is certainly a good idea. The added stability is a bonus if you have small children or big pets running in your house.

If you don't like it, and if you used hide glue you might disassemble it and rework it.

I am always admiring what you are doing on your "one afternoon bench".
The joynery was challenging and is certainly very well done.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.