LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
18 months ago, I purchased some walnut at $7.50/bf. Last weekend I priced some walnut at the same shop in Fort Collins and it was priced at $11.50/bf. Has there been some cataclysmic event or surge in demand that has driven up the price of walnut in your area?

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
Not in my area. I usually buy my walnut rough and dry, I never pay more than $3.00/bdft. and I always shave a little off the end with a block plane to see what I'm getting before buying.

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
Had a sawyer & forest ecologist tell me that the price of standing walnut had doubled in about a year and was now costing more than cherry. A lot depends on location, too. A lot of the in demand walnut is from Missouri and eastern Kansas, due to the coloring, so how far it has to be transported is a big factor.

Lucky for me, living in Kansas, can usually get walnut for $3.25-4 a bd/ft.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
I think you have to consider a few things that are happening that is going to make lumber, just like food among other things to go way up in the future. The drought in CA is not helping as it is causing a lot of stress on nut trees and other crops. Money printing, low interest rates and hunting money has caused a lot of well to do folks to remove their money from banks in anticipation of another failure (with bail-in procedures in place) and invest in diamonds, arts, collectibles, real estate and such. The lumber warehouses are doing the same thing in their anticipation. On top of that, there seem to be a big push towards doubling the minimum wage very much like the politician and government workers from judges to prosecutors have managed to double their salaries in the past 6 months or so. All of these are indicative of an inflation anticipation which devalue the currency and creates a cost push toward tangibles. So, in essence, folks who have cash are getting rid of it knowing it is about to lose its purchasing power and buying things that they anticipate will maintain their wealth. Thus, supply is getting squeezed and demand is going up. If we encounter another recession/depression all those investments will dump and flee to other things causing a flood of supply. So, it all depends on your personal perspective as to how things will end up economically in the next 3 to 5 years.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Walnut is expensive here in CO, usually around $8/bf. Some places to try near-ish to Denver:

Frank Paxton Lumber Company
Austin Hardwoods
Consolidated Hardwoods
TC Woods
Stan's Hardwood Lumber
Woodcraft
Rockler

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Jmartel,
Understand what you are saying. I just wanted to give an investor's point of view as it relates to price action. As we all know, walnut, compared to most lumber in USA is like Tiffany# (41 at the low of 2010- high of $85 today) compared to Wal-mart# ($49 at the low of 2010- high of $78 today); ordinary v.s luxury. I bought $2000 worth of walnut last year for $2/B/F. I have to pay over 35% to buy the same thing today. Take a look at this historical chart of the largest timber company# with more than 6 million acres of timberlands in 19 states. $7 in 1991 and $42 today. My point is that inflation, although a horrible thing, for elderly and poor, is a much better option than deflation. So, the question is, if we are going to experience inflation as we have after every recession, in the next 3-5 years expect price of everything including lumber to go up especially as soon as companies initially smell it coming. If we go through another deflation within the next 3-5 years, what good is $.20/BF walnut when we live in a Mad Max scenario.
I used to work in a gas station in 1979 and remember so many people saying "if gas goes to a buck, I selling my car and walk to work or ride the bus". 3 months later, they were filling it up at $1.15 thinking it will go higher next week. In deflation the opposite happens. Everyone sits on the sidelines waiting for it to go lower; not a good scenario.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Two things that have gone on I feel is fuel to move the boards,make,etc have gone up and the sawyers want more to make a living.plus there is a demand now for walnut, I have seen a lot more walnut made items in the last couple of years, call it a trend. so those factors make prices go up.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Here in Ohio, we have a fungus blight affecting Walnuts - "thousand cankers disease" spread by beetles. Shipments of raw lumber are quarantined in some counties - heat treated (kiln dried) lumber with all bark removed can be transported as well as veneer and finished products. The beetle and disease had spread to Indiana as of last week. That might be causing the price of lumber to rise in your area. Hoping my two 25 year old trees are safe, but since the disease was identified in a neighboring county, it is only a matter of time before it gets here, doubt the trees will make it to 40 years. I really love black walnut.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Actually, I believe the spike in price is due to the export market. I have had several recent calls from Chinese lumber brokers wanting me to saw walnut and fill shipping containers. Simply put, demand is up,and with the increase in demand is an increase in price. Simple economics.

·
Registered
11,329 Posts
Black Walnut is outrageous here. $8.00 and up. I've got a friend with a cabinet shop who saves his cutoffs for me and has sold me a few boards at his price. If I didn't have him for a source I couldn't afford it.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.