LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tuner Head Inlay

Well, I am in the process of my first attempt at a guitar, and I have decided to go with Walnut to build it out of. I am designing it somewhat similar to a Les Paul, but I am putting my little twists on it here and there.

As they say, when it rains it pours. I guess that applies here as well. Because I attempted my first inlay today. It isn't perfect and there are some spots that need a little filler but I think for my first attempt I did fairly well.

I first sawed off a couple pieces of maple and then a piece of ebony. Once I sanded those down and glued them together, I cut off thin strips which I then cut with a razor blade to fit my template. Once the glue dried, I sanded it down flush and this is what I came up with.

I have the truss rod on the way in the mail, and hopefully I will get it in soon along with the fret board. I am thinking of using some curly maple. I just need to find a really nice piece.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Tuner Head Inlay

Well, I am in the process of my first attempt at a guitar, and I have decided to go with Walnut to build it out of. I am designing it somewhat similar to a Les Paul, but I am putting my little twists on it here and there.

As they say, when it rains it pours. I guess that applies here as well. Because I attempted my first inlay today. It isn't perfect and there are some spots that need a little filler but I think for my first attempt I did fairly well.

I first sawed off a couple pieces of maple and then a piece of ebony. Once I sanded those down and glued them together, I cut off thin strips which I then cut with a razor blade to fit my template. Once the glue dried, I sanded it down flush and this is what I came up with.

I have the truss rod on the way in the mail, and hopefully I will get it in soon along with the fret board. I am thinking of using some curly maple. I just need to find a really nice piece.
Looks good. Keep the post coming of your progress.

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
Tuner Head Inlay

pretty darn good

·
Registered
212 Posts
Tuner Head Inlay

Can't wait to see finished job. Good work.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tuner Head Inlay

it was pretty nerve racking to cut into perfectly good looking wood to do this, but I am pleased with the result.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tuner Head Inlay

I have been following your blog Autumn… I think my biggest problem with my inlays is the fact I am hand chopping them out with a chisel instead of using a router like you suggested in your blog.

I recently finished a pair of gun grips for a friend that I inlayed an ebony diamond over each screw hole… I plan on posting a project once he gets them mounted on his Kimber, and sends me the photos. Bloodwood is a difficult wood to hand chop LOL.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fretboard

I received an email stating that my truss rod was delayed in mail, so I cannot move as fast as I was expecting to on this portion. But it did give me a chance to go pickup a piece of maple for the fretboard and lay it out to give me the best look. The maple has a little curl to it, so hopefully once I get it polished out It will look real sharp with the contrasting walnut neck.

Also, i have cut out blocks that I will start gluing up to create a radius-ed sanding block for the fretboard, it will have a 12" radius. It is cut out of 6 MDF pieces and once I glue it and true it, I'll have a stable block to get the board just perfect.

And here is a shot of my helper :)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Fretboard

I received an email stating that my truss rod was delayed in mail, so I cannot move as fast as I was expecting to on this portion. But it did give me a chance to go pickup a piece of maple for the fretboard and lay it out to give me the best look. The maple has a little curl to it, so hopefully once I get it polished out It will look real sharp with the contrasting walnut neck.

Also, i have cut out blocks that I will start gluing up to create a radius-ed sanding block for the fretboard, it will have a 12" radius. It is cut out of 6 MDF pieces and once I glue it and true it, I'll have a stable block to get the board just perfect.

This is a really neat project, glad you are blogging it. Cute kid!

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
Fretboard

Good blog keep up the good work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.