LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm building a shoe rack, about 12"Dx26"W. The top will be a bench. I plan on using maple and walnut and was just going to rip stock and laminate together but then I got a more creative idea, see picture. I'm trying to figure out the simplest way to do this. Any thoughts and ideas? Thanks in advance!

Handwriting Rectangle Slope Font Line

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yonak, good point re glue up. Also, I was thinking, because some of the material will disappear during the cut I expect that when the pieces are put together that the edges of the top will not be flush. Right?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Or make 1/4 ply templates. then run the router over them with a pattern bit. This would allow you to sand the ply profile in a very nice arc then transfer it to the stock with the router. Both pieces would fit and be exactly what the template is. Rough it within 1/16 on the bandsaw first.

·
Registered
992 Posts
...because some of the material will disappear during the cut I expect that when the pieces are put together that the edges of the top will not be flush. Right?

- skogie1
You're cutting to the edge of the adjoining piece. The kerf should already be accounted for.

Or make 1/4 ply templates. then run the router over them with a pattern bit. This would allow you to sand the ply profile in a very nice arc then transfer it to the stock with the router. Both pieces would fit and be exactly what the template is. Rough it within 1/16 on the bandsaw first.

- SirIrb
Irb, it's my opinion that this is a wasted step. If you have to cut and sand to shape the template, why not do it right to the component pieces ? No router involved.

·
Registered
992 Posts

- SirIrb

Irb, it s my opinion that this is a wasted step. If you have to cut and sand to shape the template, why not do it right to the component pieces ? No router involved.

- Yonak
Upon reflection, I see how the template and router method would be helpful to keep the edges square if a spindle sander or disk sander is not available.

- Yonak

·
Registered
669 Posts
Even with jigs to hold the mat in place the footprint won't be square or parallel. Never has for me. I account for it and make the items larger than the finish dim so they can be resized. The box top above has differing widths of full depth mahogany running through, that made it even more unruly during clampage.

The last one I did I made a template to the fin dim of the cover, once the glue up was dry I DS taped the temp to the cover and ran it through the TS with an offset jig. If you have a panel sled or one of the Incra miter gauges you really only need to straight edge one side to the TS fence, remove the straight edge then parallel it. The sled or Incra will square it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.