LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on a T.V. stand

Hello guys its been awhile thought I would let you know what I'm up to. Well I'm not getting alot of commisioned stuff right now, so I have time now to do what the wife wants and that is a T.V. stand. The stand will be made with Walnut and I will use birch ply for the carcass, the stand will be a corner unit with some storage above and below the T.V.
I have to say it really is more enjoyable to work on your own pieces, you can take all the liberties you want and not have to call for aproval. I don't have pics now, but will try to show a few progress pics soon. See Ya, be safe and make sawdust.

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
Working on a T.V. stand

Hello guys its been awhile thought I would let you know what I'm up to. Well I'm not getting alot of commisioned stuff right now, so I have time now to do what the wife wants and that is a T.V. stand. The stand will be made with Walnut and I will use birch ply for the carcass, the stand will be a corner unit with some storage above and below the T.V.
I have to say it really is more enjoyable to work on your own pieces, you can take all the liberties you want and not have to call for aproval. I don't have pics now, but will try to show a few progress pics soon. See Ya, be safe and make sawdust.
sounds like a good plan

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Carcus is together

Hey everybody, let me say this is the first time I have tried to do any progress pics, so bare with me. Now thats out of the way I managed to get some blond shallac on the birch ply and also got the carcus together, all that and had a family reunion too. LOL So the next step will be to make the face frame and build some doors. Then its on to the upper half. Have to build in sections so it will fit in the door. So hopefully you will like the pics, if there is anything else you would like to see let me know and I will try and get pics. First pic is of the top where the T.V. will sit. walnut T.V. stand here is a pic of the carcus walnut T.V stand

·
Registered
941 Posts
Carcus is together

Hey everybody, let me say this is the first time I have tried to do any progress pics, so bare with me. Now thats out of the way I managed to get some blond shallac on the birch ply and also got the carcus together, all that and had a family reunion too. LOL So the next step will be to make the face frame and build some doors. Then its on to the upper half. Have to build in sections so it will fit in the door. So hopefully you will like the pics, if there is anything else you would like to see let me know and I will try and get pics. First pic is of the top where the T.V. will sit. walnut T.V. stand here is a pic of the carcus walnut T.V stand
Looking good. Haven't made a corner unit before but seems as though determining all of the angles would be a pain, particularly the inner dividers. Eagerly awaiting more!

Jim

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Carcus is together

Jim not as hard as it looks, just one step at a time and a few practice cuts.

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
Carcus is together

Good start looking fine

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still going on the T.V. stand, just slowly

Hello again lumberjocks, the work on the T.V. stand is still going, only slower than I had hoped. Work and life in general has slowed the progress some, but still having fun in the shop when I can. I now have the face frame on the lower unit and the doors are made, still need sanding and cut to final size. I have decided to order the pocket door slides for the middle doors, since the daughters games will be in there and it would not be nice to have a door broken off by someone running though the house and the doors wide open. I was planning on the side spaces to be for dvd storage, but the wife bought a surround sound system so now it will be for speakers. Now a question for you. Do you think if I scroll saw a design in the side doors that that will be enough for the sound? If not what do you suggest. That's it for now. Hope you enjoy the pics. Oh, if you see anything that will help me please let me know.
!
!

·
Registered
118,619 Posts

Hello again lumberjocks, the work on the T.V. stand is still going, only slower than I had hoped. Work and life in general has slowed the progress some, but still having fun in the shop when I can. I now have the face frame on the lower unit and the doors are made, still need sanding and cut to final size. I have decided to order the pocket door slides for the middle doors, since the daughters games will be in there and it would not be nice to have a door broken off by someone running though the house and the doors wide open. I was planning on the side spaces to be for dvd storage, but the wife bought a surround sound system so now it will be for speakers. Now a question for you. Do you think if I scroll saw a design in the side doors that that will be enough for the sound? If not what do you suggest. That's it for now. Hope you enjoy the pics. Oh, if you see anything that will help me please let me know.
!
!
Looking great can't wait for the rest of the story

·
Registered
813 Posts

!
!
I'd consider replacing the interior door panels with speaker mesh on the sides. Not sure any scroll-sawn pattern will be sufficient. You may want to try on a scrap piece of plywood to see if the sound comes-through alright.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
finished the T.V. stand

I had started this as a blog to try and show how I made this T.V. stand, but time kind of got away from me and did not finish taking the pics. This did take longer for me to make than I thought it would (especially the wife), but it is finished now and in the house. Here are some pics in its final resting spot. Hope you like, and if you see anything that I could have or should have done different let me know thats the only way for use to learn. Thanks in advance.corner t.v. standcorner T.V. standcornerT.V. stand

13,555 Posts
finished the T.V. stand

I had started this as a blog to try and show how I made this T.V. stand, but time kind of got away from me and did not finish taking the pics. This did take longer for me to make than I thought it would (especially the wife), but it is finished now and in the house. Here are some pics in its final resting spot. Hope you like, and if you see anything that I could have or should have done different let me know thats the only way for use to learn. Thanks in advance.corner t.v. standcorner T.V. standcornerT.V. stand
Looks cool.

·
Registered
941 Posts
finished the T.V. stand

Nice job - it looks great! I'll send you the dimensions of my tv and you can perfect the process on a second one. Oh, and could you add a couple of drawers and six shelves for my video/stereo equipment, too?

Seriously, you did well and it looks very nice! Good job!!!

JimC

·
Registered
325 Posts
finished the T.V. stand

that looks great

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
finished the T.V. stand

Thanks guys, Jim I think shipping would make it cost prohibitive, but if you would like to come to the great state of Ky. you and I could build you one, then shipping would not be a factor.

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
finished the T.V. stand

Looking good

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.