LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
61 - 80 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I've got the power!

Well I have electricity at least. Thankfully, service returned yesterday afternoon. No power for 2 days really sucks.

Today after doing some cleanup outside, I returned to furthering this along. Basically cut some dados and grooves for the back panel and for the cabinet dividers and profiled the edge. I abandoned the idea of doing sliding dovetails. They're really not necessary and I have never done them before. Didn't want to waste time trying to figure them out. I have so much more to accomplish and really want to get this done and to move on.

Still lots to do, but I'm feeling good about where this is heading.

Wood Rectangle Flooring Floor Wood stain

Wood Rectangle Floor Flooring Wood stain

Wood Flooring Art Machine tool Hardwood
Thanks Larry. I really should feel fortunate it was only two days. My neighbors across the street are still out. They have a different feed. Our power lines run through a utility right of way at the rear of the property. Also, things could obviously have been so much worse had the tree gone a different way. I guess I need to count my blessing rather than complain :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I've got the power!

Well I have electricity at least. Thankfully, service returned yesterday afternoon. No power for 2 days really sucks.

Today after doing some cleanup outside, I returned to furthering this along. Basically cut some dados and grooves for the back panel and for the cabinet dividers and profiled the edge. I abandoned the idea of doing sliding dovetails. They're really not necessary and I have never done them before. Didn't want to waste time trying to figure them out. I have so much more to accomplish and really want to get this done and to move on.

No power sucks. Glad you got the lights back on.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I've got the power!

Thanks Brian. Heat back on was even better than the lights lol Say, why no new videos? I'm not done learning :)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
I've got the power!

Looks like good progess to me! Power is good - in the January 2007 ice storm, I think we were without electricity for 10 or 11 days. No fun!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,795 Posts
I've got the power!

We have been extremely fortunate that we never lost power for more than 12 hours. Having said that, my wife is actually telling me we should think about a generator after the massive power outages around the area after the last ice storm.

The console is looking good. Very modern look to it. A little finish and it will really be an eye catcher for everyone that walks by it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I've got the power!

Thanks Barbara. Yes power is good lol 10 - 11 days without power in the Winter? Wow! Definitely not fun.

Earl I'm looking into solutions for extended power outages. The power goes out here intermittently every few months, usually it's just for a few hours, but I can see how events such as ice storms or heavy wet snow would wreak havoc on the grid here, making for extended outages. All the power is above ground, lots of tall trees and lots of inclines/hills. Heavy rain takes down lines here as the soil softens and trees topple. It's happened a couple of times in just the past few months. This wind event was way over the top.

Yes the console is supposed to be mid-century modern like the house. Glad that is somewhat apparent in the design lol The finish will be key to making look like furniture rather than an arts and craft project :p

Attachments

·
Registered
22,923 Posts
I've got the power!

I really like how the profile came out on the face edges Bill. The whole shebang is looking really good :) Looks even better with light on it, eh? ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
I've got the power!

Yeah light and heat cannot be overrated - oh hot showers too ;p

It's only dry fit and the doors still need to be sized, but sometimes seeing where you're going offers some encouragement. I like the zebra wood with the walnut.

Table Property Furniture Wood Shelving

Still a bit of work to do to bring this home. Guess I'll start a new entry for the next phase.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,228 Posts
I've got the power!

Bill, glad your warm and illuminated!

It's coming along well. I just picked up a small piece of zebra wood, love the grain.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,795 Posts
I've got the power!

Your zebrawood looks a lot better than what I have. Mine looks to be flat sawn and the grain makes it look a lot like flat sawn red oak that has had a little stain put on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Turning the corner

After meeting with the tree removal guy and taking care of a few things that were neglected during the outage - LAUNDRY mostly lol, I milled the remaining components. Everything is dry fit and looking almost like a finished product.

Using simple techniques that I've seen dozens of times on YT, but usually fail to employ, made things much easier and cleaner. Using a chisel to form a kerf for the saw is one. Such a simple and quick little method ensures a crisp shoulder, but I generally fail to do it, instead using the knife line to start the kerf which sometimes goes well and sometime doesn't.

Pics of how things go together and some of the work I was able to get done this afternoon.

Wood Line Flooring Hardwood Tints and shades

Hand tool Wood Crosscut saw Tool Metalworking hand tool

Property Rectangle Wood Table Architecture

Hand tool Wood Tool Office ruler Metalworking hand tool

Wood Flooring Floor Plank Composite material

Table Wood Floor Flooring Hardwood

Wood Flooring Floor Table Wood stain

Wood Rectangle Gas Hardwood Composite material

Saw Wood Flooring Floor Workbench

Tomorrow I'll pull it apart and start to hand scrape everything, followed by sanding. There's a scratch that I caused when I failed to tighten one of the screws for the sole plate on the router after centering the bushing when I did the splines. It's visible in the first pic. A silly brain fart, but I'll have to work it out.

Before I do that I need to cut the doors to size and mortise in the knife hinges. I'm using touch latches with magnets, so those need to be located while I can still take things apart and locate the screws. Otherwise I'll be messing around trying to do this when things are already glued and I can't get a drill inside.

I'm conflicted on how to proceed with the glue-up. I think I'll give the whole thing a thinned sealer coat of shellac to prevent squeeze out from effecting the finish, and use blue tape to mask off the joint areas during glue-up. These are the stages where I get somewhat lost in the weeds, and it's probably the most critical for a successful project. Any suggestions are more than welcome :) The finish is something I haven't tried, but appears to be fool proof - meaning I can't mess it up - Maloof 2 part finishing system. I picked up the poly oil and the oil wax.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
Turning the corner

After meeting with the tree removal guy and taking care of a few things that were neglected during the outage - LAUNDRY mostly lol, I milled the remaining components. Everything is dry fit and looking almost like a finished product.

Using simple techniques that I've seen dozens of times on YT, but usually fail to employ, made things much easier and cleaner. Using a chisel to form a kerf for the saw is one. Such a simple and quick little method ensures a crisp shoulder, but I generally fail to do it, instead using the knife line to start the kerf which sometimes goes well and sometime doesn't.

Pics of how things go together and some of the work I was able to get done this afternoon.

Tomorrow I'll pull it apart and start to hand scrape everything, followed by sanding. There's a scratch that I caused when I failed to tighten one of the screws for the sole plate on the router after centering the bushing when I did the splines. It's visible in the first pic. A silly brain fart, but I'll have to work it out.

Before I do that I need to cut the doors to size and mortise in the knife hinges. I'm using touch latches with magnets, so those need to be located while I can still take things apart and locate the screws. Otherwise I'll be messing around trying to do this when things are already glued and I can't get a drill inside.

I'm conflicted on how to proceed with the glue-up. I think I'll give the whole thing a thinned sealer coat of shellac to prevent squeeze out from effecting the finish, and use blue tape to mask off the joint areas during glue-up. These are the stages where I get somewhat lost in the weeds, and it's probably the most critical for a successful project. Any suggestions are more than welcome :) The finish is something I haven't tried, but appears to be fool proof - meaning I can't mess it up - Maloof 2 part finishing system. I picked up the poly oil and the oil wax.
On special projects I rub down the glue joints with a paste wax when it is clamped up during glue up dry run, any dry glue just peels off and the paste wax will dissolve with DNA wipe or shellac finish. I use Chapmans wax but pretty sure any neutral one will work fine. That Walnut looks fantastic, beautiful wood for a fine project!
OSMOS oil makes Walnut look very rich and provides a great long tough finish.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Turning the corner

Andre the wax doesn't get into the pores of the wood and interfere with the finish? What should the wax not contain for this to work? I have Staples Crystal Clear paste wax. Like I said, this is where I get lost in the weeds lol

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,795 Posts
Turning the corner

Bill - I now have hand tool envy to add to my list of sins.

I use the same approach you mentioned for squeeze out and it works pretty darn well. I've always been nervous about trying the wax approach like Andre mentioned, mostly because of all of the horror stories about wax messing up the finish. With my luck I wouldn't get the wax off the wood and I'd wind up smearing it all over the piece which would mean starting over on the finish.

As Kenny will say - that's a sexy beast you're making right there.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
Turning the corner

Bill - You and me both as far as finishing goes! I usually do Shellac finish and wax, now starting to use OSMOS and have never had a problem. I use an old batch of Shellac that's been in the shop for years for the first wipe. Only use this method for inside joints that are hard to get too!, another option is just wipe it a wet/damp rag, much easier and safer if you can access it easily? Only time I have ever had problems with a finish was because of Glue left on the wood, tight joint will have minimal squeeze out? Is that marking knife a shop made one, like the shape.

Haven't seen Staples brand around here, see it is Carnauba based Chapman's is Beeswax, not sure it matters?
https://claphams.com/product/beeswax-furniture-polish/

Attachments

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Turning the corner

Andre I've found wiping with a damp cloth usually just allows the glue to soak into the pores of the wood further. That was my usual method, but I feel it just created more work trying to sand enough to remove those effected areas. Yeah not sure about Carnauba being very good below a finish if I can't remove all of it. There's so much on the net about various woodworking methods, but very little on assembly and glue-up which is really a defining factor in the end results. Basically the information on glue-up is confined to gluing up surface components for table tops and benches.

The Osmo oil looks to be similar to the Maloof poly oil finish/oil wax finish, at least in theory :) I don't know what the formulation for the Maloof finish is. The Osmo finish uses Sunflower oil, Soybean oil, Thissle oil, Carnauba wax, candelilla wax according to the description on Amazon.

The knife was purchased from Japan Woodworker. I like it because the blade is long and thin so it can reach into tight spaces for marking.

Attachments

·
Registered
22,923 Posts
Turning the corner

That's a sexy beast you're making right there!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Turning the corner

I can't wait to see the finish hit this "sexy beast" and explode, that grain is beautiful. Looking good.

Attachments

·
Registered
22,923 Posts
Turning the corner

I bet you wish you had a saw like the one in the 3rd pic eh Brian? ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Turning the corner

Looking good Bill!

Attachments

61 - 80 of 110 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.