LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Door Progress

I didn't have much time in the shop this weekend. We're getting ready for our Passover seder and my college softball team had a double header today, and I couldn't resist spending a little time in the sun.

In the shop I worked on the sizing the strips which will hold the panels in the doors of the wall cabinet (see project posting).

The doors have a rabbet that runs around the inside of the door to hold the panel. To hold the panel from the back I'm using strips that will be pinned in place with brads.

I finished cutting the miters in the strips for one door. I may have to narrow the strips, so that the door handles and hinges will fit. I'll decide on that the next time I'm down in the shop. In the oops category I discovered that I miscalculated and didn't cut enough stock for both doors. The source of the miscalculation is the miter. I forgot to calculate the lengths based on the outside of the strips, rather than the inside.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Door Progress

I didn't have much time in the shop this weekend. We're getting ready for our Passover seder and my college softball team had a double header today, and I couldn't resist spending a little time in the sun.

In the shop I worked on the sizing the strips which will hold the panels in the doors of the wall cabinet (see project posting).

The doors have a rabbet that runs around the inside of the door to hold the panel. To hold the panel from the back I'm using strips that will be pinned in place with brads.

I finished cutting the miters in the strips for one door. I may have to narrow the strips, so that the door handles and hinges will fit. I'll decide on that the next time I'm down in the shop. In the oops category I discovered that I miscalculated and didn't cut enough stock for both doors. The source of the miscalculation is the miter. I forgot to calculate the lengths based on the outside of the strips, rather than the inside.
been there

·
Registered
18,890 Posts
Door Progress

I made a box, REMEMBERED to include the extra length for a mitred edge….
and then said, "why are these sides so long? That's not right… and then cut them off"...

(shaking my head at my brain goof)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Completed Doors

I finished the doors for the wall cabinet earlier this week. The frame is maple, the panels walnut.

Here are the two doors. If you look closely you might be able to see that the panels are bookmatched.

The inside of one door. The mitered retainer frame is glued and tacked to the inside of the door frame. The color variation in the upper right corner is the result of a measuring error. When I cut the pieces I used the inside measurements of the frame, not the outside. So, I had to use some extra stock to fill the gap. I'll have to work on evening out the color when I finish these.

Next up is assembling the cabinet case. This requires a visit to the big orange store - I am going to attach the back to the sides with brads and I don't have the correct size. I hope to have the construction phase of this completed this weekend.

·
Registered
18,890 Posts
Completed Doors

I finished the doors for the wall cabinet earlier this week. The frame is maple, the panels walnut.

Here are the two doors. If you look closely you might be able to see that the panels are bookmatched.

The inside of one door. The mitered retainer frame is glued and tacked to the inside of the door frame. The color variation in the upper right corner is the result of a measuring error. When I cut the pieces I used the inside measurements of the frame, not the outside. So, I had to use some extra stock to fill the gap. I'll have to work on evening out the color when I finish these.

Next up is assembling the cabinet case. This requires a visit to the big orange store - I am going to attach the back to the sides with brads and I don't have the correct size. I hope to have the construction phase of this completed this weekend.
Gorgeous!!!

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Completed Doors

Looking good.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Case Assembly

Over the past several days, I completed the assembly of the case for the wall cabinet. Material is maple except for the panel in the back, and I made that so long ago that I don't remember what kind of ply it is.

The back sits in rabbets in the sides and is secured with screws. I had to make a visit to the big orange store because I didn't have the size screws (#4). The back panel has mortise and tenons between the rails and stiles.

The sides are attached to the top and bottom with pocket hole screws. I made a slight error in laying these out. I placed them a little too close to the back which made them difficult to secure. I'll be plugging the pocket holes with maple plugs. Oh and if you look closely you might see the plugs in the mis-cut shelf pin holes.

The doors will sit between the sides.

Tonight I fit the doors - a fair amount of hand planing and sanding, and started work on the hinge mortises - one down, 7 to go.

·
Registered
14,500 Posts
Case Assembly

Over the past several days, I completed the assembly of the case for the wall cabinet. Material is maple except for the panel in the back, and I made that so long ago that I don't remember what kind of ply it is.

The back sits in rabbets in the sides and is secured with screws. I had to make a visit to the big orange store because I didn't have the size screws (#4). The back panel has mortise and tenons between the rails and stiles.

The sides are attached to the top and bottom with pocket hole screws. I made a slight error in laying these out. I placed them a little too close to the back which made them difficult to secure. I'll be plugging the pocket holes with maple plugs. Oh and if you look closely you might see the plugs in the mis-cut shelf pin holes.

Tonight I fit the doors - a fair amount of hand planing and sanding, and started work on the hinge mortises - one down, 7 to go.
Looks like your making good progress. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished project.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Case Assembly

Lookin good… Do you have a Kreg pocket hole jig? Or do you do them by hand?

Drew

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Case Assembly

I do have a Kreg pocket hole jig. I bought it on a whim at a woodworking show several years ago and I've got to say it was well worth the cost.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Case Assembly

Nice job.

·
Registered
35,383 Posts
Case Assembly

Great views.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hinge Mortises

I'm closing in on completing the construction of the wall cabinet. Progress this past week has been on the hinge mortises. I've got the mortises in the doors done, as well as two of the four in the case.

I'm cutting the mortises by hand - using a marking gauge to mark the depth and width and doing the rest with a chisel. It's slow work - the door frames and case are maple, after all, but satisfying.

Here's a picture of one of the mortises, with the hinge in place.

·
Registered
18,890 Posts
Hinge Mortises

I'm closing in on completing the construction of the wall cabinet. Progress this past week has been on the hinge mortises. I've got the mortises in the doors done, as well as two of the four in the case.

I'm cutting the mortises by hand - using a marking gauge to mark the depth and width and doing the rest with a chisel. It's slow work - the door frames and case are maple, after all, but satisfying.

that's pretty precise!! nicely done.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Hinge Mortises

...it looks good.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Hinge Mortises

Just yesterday I worked a hinge into a case. It is very satisfying to go slow, take time and allow the wood to inform you as to what to do.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Hinge Mortises

Very nice!

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Hinge Mortises

Nice job!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.