LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13,760 Posts
i just got a message from A1JIM ,
that he got a virus he believes came from an LJ site .

wants me to warn everyone !

something called
pirate (something ).com
about a torrent .

that is all i know .

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
One of the LJ members added a link to a torrent bit site for downloading plans. When he use the link it was an infected site.

The LJ site is not the issue, the link that he used created the issue.

I did not use the link but I read A1Jim's comment that he got a warning on his computer system that the linked site had a virus.

I guess when you get the warning it is too late.

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
Posting here is unlikely to spread a virus. Even PMs go thru a secondary email server/ISP so I really doubt he go the infection here.

·
Registered
13,760 Posts
thanks guys ,
i guess it's under control .
i have a macbook ,
so i don't have that problem .
( knock on wood )

i just reread the pm ,
it was a link that did it ,
my bad .

·
Registered
767 Posts
We who have Macs are less susceptible to viruses than those with PCs…....but 'stuff happens'

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Gimme the link, I'll check it out from my Linux box….

From the description, the infection came from following a link on one of the rotating banner ads. I simply don't follow any of the banner ads because of viruses… (Sorry sponsors, but the bad guys are slowing your business down…)

·
Registered
714 Posts
We who have Macs are less susceptible to viruses than those with PCs…….but 'stuff happens'

Kindergarteners are less susceptable to occupational injury than adults. Mac users running microsoft platforms because they want to like actually do something with their computer are just as vulnerable. I wonder why no PC users want to run mac platforms on their machines??? Weird huh?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I think this was probably a link to the piratebay and some of their ads get flagged as belonging to sites that host malicious content. Just don't click on the ads and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
998 Posts
piratebays gone downhill since they went commercial, i dont even bother with torrent sites since i started using emule

·
Registered
624 Posts
Mac rules, I don't know any one who has one to have ever been hacked or to have a virus. A client had to resort to a Mac to keep from the same problem, no issues yet (3 years now). Kindergarden? Don't get me started! The Pentagon uses Mac to steer from Hackers!

·
Registered
13,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
all the spyware is built in ,
and is upgraded as they invent it ,

FREE !!!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.