LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unboxing

I decided to buy myself some education on lutherie. This is a kit that I bought from eBay, though it apparently is the same kit that you'd get from tomtop.com [link]. The body of the violin comes pre-assembled, but unlike the more expensive stew mac version, the purfling is already installed. I was actually expecting painted on purfling, so this was a pleasant surprise.

I'll need to create the dado into which the neck is fit and fit the pegs and drill a hole for the end button. The only thing i see missing is the saddle, but I can make and fit that into the body. It won't be the first time.

This project will be a time in the doing because I'm using it as filler work. Stay tuned.

I think the finishing will be the most challenging part, but we shall see.

EDIT I might mention that this kit comes without instructions, but the Stew Mac website with a similar kit [link] has pdf instructions for download ;-)

Rectangle Wood Font Packaging and labeling Linens

Rectangle Wood Road surface Asphalt Beige

Packing materials Wood Plastic bag Gas Plastic wrap

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument Plucked string instruments

Wood Guitar accessory String instrument String instrument Musical instrument accessory

Table Wood Flooring Road surface Beige

Musical instrument Guitar accessory Wood String instrument String instrument accessory

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,077 Posts
Unboxing

I decided to buy myself some education on lutherie. This is a kit that I bought from eBay, though it apparently is the same kit that you'd get from tomtop.com [link]. The body of the violin comes pre-assembled, but unlike the more expensive stew mac version, the purfling is already installed. I was actually expecting painted on purfling, so this was a pleasant surprise.

I'll need to create the dado into which the neck is fit and fit the pegs and drill a hole for the end button. The only thing i see missing is the saddle, but I can make and fit that into the body. It won't be the first time.

This project will be a time in the doing because I'm using it as filler work. Stay tuned.

EDIT I might mention that this kit comes without instructions, but the Stew Mac website with a similar kit [link] has pdf instructions for download ;-)

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument Plucked string instruments

Wood Guitar accessory String instrument String instrument Musical instrument accessory

Musical instrument Guitar accessory Wood String instrument String instrument accessory
Looking forward to watching your progress on this, even if it does take a while.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Unboxing

Looks like a good project, should be fun.
What is the wood on the body?, looks quarter sawn, pine?
As for finishing, wouldn't shellac be traditional? How do you plan to stain without covering the double black line around the perimeter (purfling?)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unboxing

Looks like a good project, should be fun.
What is the wood on the body?, looks quarter sawn, pine?
As for finishing, wouldn t shellac be traditional? How do you plan to stain without covering the double black line around the perimeter (purfling?)

- Oldtool
In theory, and according to the description, the top is spruce and the bottom, or back, neck, sides and fingerboard are maple. I will say that though this may end up a violin, it isn't going to be a strad by any chance. The pieces are adequate, but they are not the best.

The finish is always done last, so it shouldn't bother the purfling. The black will get blacker. Any stain I use would be a light color in any case, like maple. Depending on how this turns out, I may get another and finish it darker.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Unboxing

Looks like it will be a fun journey, can't wait to see

Attachments

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unboxing

Looks like it will be a fun journey, can t wait to see

- mcoyfrog
Depending on what awaits me at work, I may get a start on it tomorrow. I'll definitely learn something as I've never actually cut a neck into the body, just cleaned and re-glued the joint.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Unboxing

That definitely looks like it will be fun. I am building 3 ukuleles for my grandkids right now and fitting neck to body is probably the most challenging part. I am dovetailing them # 3 is definitely much better fit than #1. it has been very educational and a lot of fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unboxing

That definitely looks like it will be fun. I am building 3 ukuleles for my grandkids right now and fitting neck to body is probably the most challenging part. I am dovetailing them # 3 is definitely much better fit than #1. it has been very educational and a lot of fun.
Do mandolin necks always get dovetailed? Apparently violins depend on the tab coming off the back to hold them from moving, that and the glue.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Unboxing

I think neck fastening is more a personal thing with the builder and some tradition built in also. Violins probably have more tradition than any other instrument. In the research I have done on Ukes builders do bolt on , dado, sliding dovetails, tapered dovetails. I am thinking of making another uke out of a 2×4 and trying a tapered dovetail for the neck. If I screw it up I won't be out that much.
I have found out that using hide glue is definitely the way to go. On uke #2 I glued the bridge on backwards I had several coats of finish on when I discovered it. A little heat some scraping on the finish and reglued correctly. You probably already know that from your repairs.

I am trying to build up the courage to try a mandolin.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unboxing

If there were anything that is now securly tied to tradition, it is definitely the standard violin! It's one of the reasons that I have no plans on ever trying to make one from scratch. I'd stick with something that have some 'give' to it like a teardrop fiddle, for example. Even dulcimers have some constraints, but there is still room to experiment.

The liquid hyde glue that titebond sells is very good stuff (my opinion).

And I'd say go for it with the mandolin! If you don't want to dive in the deep end all at once, maybe make a cigar box mandolin or buy a kit? One of the joys of folk instruments is that people just went and made them out of what they had and the way they wanted them to look.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Small step, end button installation

I decided to start by simply drilling and reaming the hole for the end button of the fiddle and fitting it in place.

Drum Table Wood Chair Comfort

Drum Wood Household cleaning supply Tool Wood stain

Wood Gas Tints and shades Wood stain Metal

Hat Jewellery Auto part Metal Font

Furniture Wood Table Musical instrument accessory Floor
jj

Next up, the hard part, fitting the neck.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,612 Posts

I decided to start by simply drilling and reaming the hole for the end button of the fiddle and fitting it in place.

jj

Look easy enough do far. What is that tool in the last two pictures?, pencil sharpener or dowel maker?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

jj

Look easy enough do far. What is that tool in the last two pictures?, pencil sharpener or dowel maker?

- Oldtool
It's like a pencil sharpener, but it's matched to the reamer in the 3rd from last picture. The technical term is peg shaper.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,077 Posts

jj

Simple enouh step, but a guy's gotta start somewhere. Tapered tenon on the end button. Who knew?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

jj

Simple enouh step, but a guy's gotta start somewhere. Tapered tenon on the end button. Who knew?

- Dave Polaschek
I think the tapered aspect allows for a very tight fit. Loose things on fiddles tend to cause a buzz when playing.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fitting the Neck

The main part of this violin kit is fitting the neck to the body of the instrument. To do this a mortise must be created in the neck end of the instrument (the one opposite the end button end) that not only fits the neck root as tightly as possible, but also holds it at the proper angle and height.

You start by cutting the overhand off the top plate, holding the neck in place for straightness and marking where it should go. Then you cut within your lines to a depth of about a quarter inch and grab the chisel of your choice to slowly remove material, test fit, remove material, trst fit, and repeat until it fits properly.

At some point you have to start shaping the part of the neck to meet well with the back extension which is called the button.

A chisel and rasp help with this.

Using a bit of paper as a feeler gauge helped.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,077 Posts
Fitting the Neck

The main part of this violin kit is fitting the neck to the body of the instrument. To do this a mortise must be created in the neck end of the instrument (the one opposite the end button end) that not only fits the neck root as tightly as possible, but also holds it at the proper angle and height.

Hand Wood Knee Finger Wrist

You start by cutting the overhand off the top plate, holding the neck in place for straightness and marking where it should go. Then you cut within your lines to a depth of about a quarter inch and grab the chisel of your choice to slowly remove material, test fit, remove material, trst fit, and repeat until it fits properly.

Musical instrument Drum Wood String instrument Folk instrument

Wood Finger Gas Wood stain Hardwood

Automotive tire Wood Finger Tire Nail

Wood Automotive exterior Hardwood Bumper Flooring

At some point you have to start shaping the part of the neck to meet well with the back extension which is called the button.

Pipeline transport Road surface Asphalt Wood Tar

Automotive tire Wood Bicycle tire Hood Bumper
So that's how a violin's neck attaches to the body. Interesting!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fitting the Neck

So that's how a violin s neck attaches to the body. Interesting!

- Dave Polaschek
Yes, and the very important part is that tab in the back. That's really what keeps things solid. The mortise basicaly just cradles it. The glue helps though.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,192 Posts
Fitting the Neck

the Violin is the best sounding instrument in the world LOL :<))

Attachments

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Fitting the Neck

To an extent, it depends on who is playing and what is being played ;-)

the Violin is the best sounding instrument in the world LOL :<))

- GR8HUNTER

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.