LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Half-Blind Dovetails on Curved Parts

A few folks have asked me what I have been up to lately in the shop, so I decided to post a quick video blog, that I shot yesterday, before I head out for the long weekend.

Enjoy and Happy Thanksgiving!

Here is the video

·
Registered
316 Posts

A few folks have asked me what I have been up to lately in the shop, so I decided to post a quick video blog, that I shot yesterday, before I head out for the long weekend.

Here is the video
very clever how you were able to cut those dovetails. can't wait to see the finished project.

·
Registered
118,619 Posts

Here is the video
Hey Brian
Great solution to a problem and most interesting project. you might note that some of what you were trying to show was off camera. I was also wondering what type of dovetail "machine" you were talking about? Far better than any video I've made,having never made one :)) thanks for sharing, your a great asset to Ljs

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Here is the video

Jim, I was referring to the Leigh D4R dovetail Jig. I once saw one of the woodworking show hosts (I think it was Norm) refer to this as a "dovetail machine", as opposed to the dedicated half-blind dovtail jigs. I liked the distinction, this jig being so versatile, so I started referring to it as a dovetail "machine".

I did notice that I was off camera a bit. I am still debating about whether to (continue to) do these rather rough, impromptu video blogs, as opposed to the polished, edited videos . On the one hand, they are easy to make, taking just a few minutes (as opposed to a few hours), and there may be some useful nuggets of information. On the other hand, the refined videos set the bar to some degree. I also believe that when I put out a video, that I am asking folks to spend their valuable time to watch it-perhaps even their precious shop time! so I have to make it worth their while.

·
Registered
118,619 Posts

Here is the video
Hey Brian
I think the video was great. I think it was well worth my time. I know it takes time and planning to make a video so I and I'm sure many others appreciate your time investment. the reason I wanted to know what kind of dovetail jig you were using was to try a picture how you were installing your leveling wedges while routing.
I'm a little surprised the wedges that thick can fit in your leigh jig.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Here is the video
It fit, but barely! :)) If I remember correctly, it was right at the limit.

·
Registered
27,252 Posts
Happy Holidays!

Thanksgiving marks the beginning of the holiday seasons, so I thought I would whip up a little video bit in the wake of the Thanksgiving feast to wish everyone a happy holiday season.

Here is the video
Brian, that was a nice video. It looks like you are a wonderful cook as well as a fine woodworker. But I can appreciate the desire to get the holidays over so that we can get back into our normal routines.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Surviving the Brutal California Winter (humor)

It seems that every year we get a cold snap here in the San Francisco Bay Area, and I always like to take that opportunity do do something that I do not often get to do: complain about the weather!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts

It seems that every year we get a cold snap here in the San Francisco Bay Area, and I always like to take that opportunity do do something that I do not often get to do: complain about the weather!

And tomorrow we're supposed to reach a high of 29 (F)

·
Registered
173 Posts

You should move up to the Seattle area. That is about all we hear are complaints about the weather. It is either too cold, wet, hot, windy, cloudy, dry, flooding, mud slides, black ice and once in a great while it is way too bright out there. What is that glowing orb in the sky?

·
Registered
14,500 Posts

God help us when it gets down to 45 at night…. lol It almost snowed here in Sacramento as well. Think it got down to 23 last night. I hear the last time it snowed in Sacramento was 1976 and then the 1940s before that.

·
Registered
772 Posts

Don't look to us Eastern people for sympathy. Your cold weather is what we call Fall :)

·
Registered
10,899 Posts

move your fammely and yourself with your shop for a year to Denmark then complain abaut the wether here it is a national sport to talk abaut it 24 aurs a day 365 days pr year
by the way the last 2 month we had only one day where the sun came thrugh the clauds 6 aurs all the other day´s we had claudy and betwin 6 - 8 degrees celcius (don´t now the convert math but you get the point

happy holydays

Dennis

ps love the vidio

·
Registered
18,890 Posts

hahah that is hilarious. Well done!!!

oh you poor, poor man…. the hardships you are having to endure with your winter weather!!
My sympathies go out to you :)

·
Registered
4,019 Posts

I feel bad for you… but for another reason. A blizzard howling outside and a heated shop inside. Nothing like it. It actually makes you feel more like a craftsman for some reason. Maine here.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.