Osmo - Polyxoil (Rating: 5)

In the past, I've used Gary Week's danish oil finishing schedule, which was recommended to me from a woodworking instructor. I really like the results, particularly using Deft brand danish oil. However, working on prototype wood iphone back panels (LB project, <a href="http://www.madebymonolith.com/>Monolith website</a>), I realized two things. First, using danish oil (Watco in this case), gave an irregular sheen to the wood I was applying it to (Honduran Rosewood). I suspect that this had to do with the natural oil content of the raw wood, some area of the grain wouldn't absorb the danish oil. I tried several coats with no change. The second realization was that for a commercial product where I need to finish with a quick turnaround for custom orders, the danish oil application schedule I used took far too long. At least several days for two or three coats, and some would argue you should wait even longer between coats.

So, I came upon a bit of luck when I noticed a snapshot on flickr of a furniture maker using Osmo Polyxoil. It sounded and looked like a good option to try. I found it at Eco-wise, a local shop that specializes in environmentally friendly building supplies. There are two versions of Polyxoil offerred by Osmo-there is the regular ">s main purpose, finishing hardwood floors, the price could really be a deal-breaker.