LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Couple questions on a veritas 5 1/4 bench plane…Seems when i am trying to get the blade parallel to the body ,the blade advances in the depth ? and how tight should the lever cap screw be ? should i be able to remove the lever cap without using a screw driver ? And I seem to be wearing down the round pivot mechanism unevenly..any help would be great. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
these are actually common questions.

the screw that holds the lever cap should be turned 1/4 turn after the cap comes in contact with the blade and not any more as it'll put too much pressure on the screw, the cap, and the blade - making it impossible to align the blade. and yes- the blade should be able to move back and forth WITHOUT having to take the cap off. and yes you should be able to get the cap off without using a screwdriver. if you need a screwdriver - it's too tight.

if you are changing the lateral position of the blade and the blade seems to creep up forward - it's normal. you just have to play with it till it's positioned properly.

one more thing - watch for backlash. don't try to adjust the blade backwards as when you unscrew the blade bolt it'll have a little play, and upon usage the blade will be pushed more backwards than anticipated. instead - if you need to retract the blade a bit - then retract it more than you should, then advance it till it gets to the proper position.

good luck, and make sure the blade is sharp.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.