LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
First I want to belatedly thank all the people who welcomed me to this site when I first signed up. I sure should'a done this sooner but I really don't do much posting. Not a good excuse. Apologies and thanks to you all.

I have to preface this by saying that I'm by no means a pro. I've made a few pieces of furniture for my home and a couple of pieces for people I know, but I'm not going to have any museum exhibits anytime soon. I'm getting much more enthusiastic about woodworking and learning more about it since I built my dedicted shop this past winter. For now, though, I'm gonna keep my day job.

I have always been frustrated with hand planes, no matter how carefully I try to sharpen them and set them up. I finally decided that maybe I got crappy results 'cause I was using crappy planes, or setting them up poorly. Or both! Garbage in; garbage out syndrome. Problem is, I don't own a power planer (donations accepted, good deal seriously considered) and I sometimes glue up panels that would be too wide anyway, so I NEED to plane or I'll have to buy stock in a sandpaper company. All the guys on the videocasts and TV make it look easy, so I had to do something. I recently discovered the joys of using card scrapers and decided it was time for a real plane. So I ordered the Veritas. Lie-Nielsen was a bit pricier and maybe better? Who knows.

I received my plane yesterday from Lee Valley and love it. The superior quality was obvious right out of the box. It was shipped to where I work so I had no way to see how well it would perform, since I was reluctant to plane the dock full of rusty nails outside my dive shop door.

To give it a fair assessment I actually followed the instructions for installing the iron, adjusting the setscrews holding it in alignment and ballparked the cap iron and mouth opening settings. As soon as I got home I went straight out to my shop and over to an oak panel I glued up the day before for a microwave shelf I'm making. Put plane to wood and after a few diagonal passes one way then the other, and a few with the grain I had a flat panel, a big pile of long curly shavings, and never broke a sweat. Then I cleaned the plane, opened the mouth a tiny amount more, spritzed a bit of Boshield on it to keep down the rust and lube the sole, and planed another board just for the heck of it. Even better and easier. The plane is a keeper!

I followed up by ordering their cabinet scraper (yet to arrive) because I kinda need it for something I'm working on. As soon as possible I'm going to also be the proud owner of their Jointer Plane (donations accepted again, or Veritas could sponsor me!)

I'm no longer frustrated. I'm sure I'll encounter some funky grain I can't plane, but I'm a convert now. I can honestly say Veritas has a heck of a nice product. Thanks for reading my little rant.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Sounds like we have a convert to the slippery slope. Good for you. They all work well when tuned except the real junk. I don't own a Veritas but my Baileys and Sargents do a very good job. Welcome aboard

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Congrats Marty. One of the things that makes this line of planes easier for me, is that with thicker blade, and the frog extending all the way to the sole of the plane, they don't noticeably chatter. My cheaper planes actually require more tuning than the Veritas to produce results that are not as good as the Veritas. Now that you have the #4, it's time to add a low angle block plane, and the Veritas Low Angle Jack. If you like that #4, you'll want to sleep with the Veritas line of bevel up planes.

One great added benefit of having a plane such as the one you have, is now you know what they are supposed to feel like. This will help GREATLY in tuning your cheaper planes. I have a couple of footprints that I've now tuned up to work really well, and Bob #2 introduced me to a Groz #6 that is a workhorse for me now. Those premium planes are nice to have, but as Thos. says, the cheaper ones can work pretty damn good when tuned correctly.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Mot - that's an interesting comment about having a good plane helping you tune up the lesser ones. I was thinking that maybe I needed to bite the bullet and get a good "out of the box" plane to use as a go-by.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting. Part of what I hoped was that getting this plane might help me set up a couple of old sargent planes an 85 year old friend gave me. Now here are several people suggesting that I am right. I love it when a plan comes together! I'm off Monday and I'm gonna take a look at them. Hpoefully in a better light.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I'm rehabilitating a Sargent this weekend, (probably a war era plane, if they are like Stanley's). They are quite well made. If you get an aftermarket blade or blade-chipbreaker combination I think you'll find you have a great user. I never did understand buying a plane for it's collector's value. Keep us posted on your Sargents.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, sometimes the problem with collecting things like that is it takes them out of the hands of those whwo would actually use them. It also jacks the prices sky high.

I sorta collect Griswold cast iron pans, but at least I cook with them ang give them as gifts to others who like to cook. I'll bet there are a bunch of plane collectors right here but they probably use theirs, so that's great.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
If you check E-Bay, you will see so many planes that I see no reason to use the ones the collectors want. Good Bedrocks have held their value as users very well. I think collecters have an impact on the market but how many planes do any of us really need? I don't think I'll live long enough to wear mine out.LOL

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Yes, Ebanista, that is a great article. One only needs to spend 5 minutes with a well honed Veritas bevel up plane, to be a convert. Just when you thought you were done buying planes! LOL

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I have an eclectic collection of old planes that I have rehabed and use on a frequent basis.
Recently I purchased three planes from India to try out .
The first was a special here and selling for $16.50.
Turns out is is quite functional and takes a decent shaving once the blade is sharp.

Bob

plane-#4-1

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.