LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
I'm not a lawyer, but those logos are copyright protected, and should not be sold. At one time, I scrolled NY Yankee logo fridge magnets that I was selling at my stoop sale (an urban version of a yard sale). I was warned by a passerby that it was illegal, so I ended up giving away the rest to friends.

·
Registered
900 Posts
If you sell just a few here and there, you should be fine and under the radar of the corporate machine. Just don't go advertising it. I think the worst that will happen to you if you get caught is a cease and desist letter from a law firm.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Colleges have a reputation for being very aggressive about protecting their logos. With the funding shortfalls that most of them are having now, they might be even more protective.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I'd get the permission of the copyright holder. Companies are very aggressive lately about protecting their copyrighted stuff. I had a friend who wanted to make a bat for his son with a big red B on it, he contacted the Red Sox and it took him 6 months to hear back.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Nicholas,

Unfortunately, what has been said is largely true. Most of college logos are copyrighted, and your use of them commercially may cause some issues. Some colleges are more vigorous than others in enforcing their copyrights. And some are downright vicious!

KU is one of the latter. They have taken a local tee shirt shop here in Lawrence to court twice to the tune of a $600,000 judgment, I believe. That's a lot of tee shirts! And some of the tee shirts just said "KANSAS" on them! Like I said, VICIOUS!

I hate to rain on your parade like this, but "forewarned is forearmed!"

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
It's not a copyright protecting logos, it's a trademark. You need to get the permission of the trademark owner, which in the case of a college sports team is the university itself (or some subsidiary company, most likely).

If you make something for your own personal use you have a shot at a fair-use defense, but if you're selling pieces containing a trademarked image, you will most certainly lose in court.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
i think should answer a lot of the questions

https://www.clc.com/Licensing-Info.aspx

http://www.ncaa.org/championships/marketing/ncaa-licensing-program-faqs

"All products must be approved by the NCAA and the Collegiate Licensing Company. Failure to obtain a license or approval from the NCAA and CLC would be grounds for the seizure of all non-approved merchandise bearing the NCAA's marks. Vigorous legal action will be taken against violators, which could result in jail time and numerous fines."

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Even if you license the trademarked logos, there are usually very specific rules about how they can be used and displayed. (They may not take kindly to logo-ed urinal cakes for example.)

Failure to follow the rules is also subject to penalties.

·
Registered
Maker
764 Posts
Wow. Old thread!

Selling Trademarked items online may get you a cease and desist order, but from what I've seen, there are no trademark enforcement officials walking the craft show beat. That s#!t is everywhere. Around Chicago, you can get Green Bay Packers to Indianapolis Colts and EVERYTHING in between.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Yes. Old thread, but still a topic of interest, apparently.

I have seen a trick used by an ebay seller. Buy wrapping paper and cut out little pieces and glue them on and laminate or finish over. I don't know if it would pass in court, but it was an interesting approach.

·
Registered
207 Posts
An old thread but I will add my .02 in.
We all know how certain things get past the shipyards and into retail stores around the world. Remember Rolex, Louis Vuitton, the list goes on…. made in… Well you get it.
Although I do agree with Controlfreak….
Just change some hole diameters and locations, throw slightly different rads on and your good to go. No harm, no foul since it won't line up with the trademark.
IMHO, You have to do what you have to do. You need to eat, raise a family and pay the monthly bills in this crazy world.
Just delete the emails 30min after you post the item you are selling. Then wait until someone comes to ring your door bell. Then you can set them straight…. It may look the same but its a little different.

Maybe I'm just too old to care anymore, well wait… Nope, I've always been that way.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts