LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unpopular, Unloved or just overlooked?

In my time here on LJ's I have seen, [especially Handplanes Of Your Dreams topic] what great lengths many of us go to, to bring a woodworking tool, in this case Hand Planes back from the junk heap to a full [wood]working life!

The big boys, particularly here in the UK are /were:-
1) STANLEY, made in USA & England

2) RECORD, made in England

But there are many others available that have not, shall we say been taken to our hearts like those above.

So here I'd like to show you a plane that I own, picked up for pennies at a car boot fair [Flea Market]. It has remained under my bench stashed away, unloved. Until now.

This is a RAPIER 400. Which to all intents and purposes is a Bailey pattern #4 bench plane. they were made by Anglo Scottish Tool Co. Gateshead, England.
Gateshead just happens to be approx 20 miles from where I live. I'd never heard of these planes until I saw this one and read 'Gateshead'. Which in itself is a bit odd because usually planes simply say 'MADE IN ENGLAND'. Also Gateshead is not particularly [be polite Johnny] well known, other than being on the south side of the river Tyne, across from the more famous [?] city north of the Tyne, Newcastle. However I'm waffling.
Carry on!

Wood Bumper Sports equipment Tool Automotive exterior

Font Audio equipment Gas Auto part Metal

To make a point I Googled RAPIER and found a link to the UK Workshop site [like LJ's] and found this ...a typically pithy comment by ALF [She's on LJ's too somewhere] it reads…. RAPIER...

Brandname of the Anglo-Scottish Tool Co. of Gateshead, c.1950s/60s. Generally considered not the greatest planes ever, although their #3 mini grooving plane (a knock-off of the Record #043) is well regarded. There's a bit in the archive on them, but not much more than this really - no-one seems to know (or care) much about all the various companies skulling about in Britain at that time.

Cheers, Alf

Thank you Alf, I couldn't of put it better myself :)

Why don't I like this plane much? Well it's silly really- it's got 'Plastic' handles and it's not black [Stanley] or blue [Record] and it hasn't got a nice shiny chrome Lever Cap?

But is it well made? Yes. The castings of the body & frog is excellent.

Plane Scrub plane Rebate plane Bumper Gas

It is also slightly heavier than the equivalent Stanley #4 by 5 ounces

Hood Sports equipment Bumper Fender Motor vehicle

Are the handles comfortable- fit for purpose? Yes, apart from being made from plastic.

Smoothing plane Scrub plane Sports equipment Rebate plane Bumper

Are they cheap to buy off Ebay? Hell yeah- nobody wants them!

Can it be tuned up into a smoother? Dunno- Yet!

STAY TUNED?????

Attachments

·
Registered
18,679 Posts

In my time here on LJ's I have seen, [especially Handplanes Of Your Dreams topic] what great lengths many of us go to, to bring a woodworking tool, in this case Hand Planes back from the junk heap to a full [wood]working life!

But there are many others available that have not, shall we say been taken to our hearts like those above.

So here I'd like to show you a plane that I own, picked up for pennies at a car boot fair [Flea Market]. It has remained under my bench stashed away, unloved. Until now.

This is a RAPIER 400. Which to all intents and purposes is a Bailey pattern #4 bench plane. they were made by Anglo Scottish Tool Co. Gateshead, England.
Gateshead just happens to be approx 20 miles from where I live. I'd never heard of these planes until I saw this one and read 'Gateshead'. Which in itself is a bit odd because usually planes simply say 'MADE IN ENGLAND'. Also Gateshead is not particularly [be polite Johnny] well known, other than being on the south side of the river Tyne, across from the more famous [?] city north of the Tyne, Newcastle. However I'm waffling.
Carry on!

To make a point I Googled RAPIER and found a link to the UK Workshop site [like LJ's] and found this ...a typically pithy comment by ALF [She's on LJ's too somewhere] it reads…. RAPIER...

Brandname of the Anglo-Scottish Tool Co. of Gateshead, c.1950s/60s. Generally considered not the greatest planes ever, although their #3 mini grooving plane (a knock-off of the Record #043) is well regarded. There's a bit in the archive on them, but not much more than this really - no-one seems to know (or care) much about all the various companies skulling about in Britain at that time.

Cheers, Alf

Why don't I like this plane much? Well it's silly really- it's got 'Plastic' handles and it's not black [Stanley] or blue [Record] and it hasn't got a nice shiny chrome Lever Cap?

Are the handles comfortable- fit for purpose? Yes, apart from being made from plastic.

STAY TUNED?????
i've never encounter a RAPIER. Something to look forward to. I'll be you make a smoother

Attachments

·
Registered
2,789 Posts

Carry on!

Cheers, Alf

STAY TUNED?????
I have seen Rapiers by times, and for some reason there are a couple of their blades in planes on my wall,
they seem to be an OK blade, not stellar, just OK..

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Carry on!

Cheers, Alf

STAY TUNED?????
This Stanley of mine, surprisingly has a RAPIER blade in too.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPad App

You can pretty much be sure that whoever made these cutters for Rapiier, made them for Stanley and Record too.

Cheers
John.

Attachments

·
Registered
732 Posts

Carry on!

Cheers, Alf

STAY TUNED?????
Interesting posting. I didn't know that these planes were made in Gateshead, but I only lived there until I was 6 years old . . . could be the reason?

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts

Carry on!

Cheers, Alf

STAY TUNED?????
The big plus point for a Rapier is the frog that has two horizontal bottom surfaces .Also they have a frog adjuster. The complication with a slanting frog bed is not there to confuse the user . I have a No 4 Spear and Jackson plane with slanted bed frog. (two surfaces on the same plane angle ) .Also a Pre Stanley Acorn 4 1/2 with slanted frog base . Both need some understanding . (The Bedrock planes have the same slanted bed .That`s why collectors like them. Similar to a Penny Black stamp with missing perforations .Rare and a bit strange ) .Strangely both have lateral adjusters set a little off centre which becomes a real pain. The Acorn is easier to manage .The Spear and Jackson needed a metal hacksaw saw and some filing to get it working. (before I got it ) .Frankly the Spear and Jackson would be better without the adjuster .Just tap the blade sideways like it was a wooden plane. The sideways lateral adjuster forced me to offset the blade to the chipbreaker to get the blade to level out properly .This covered part of the hole used by the wishbone.So that was obstructed and needed some filing to keep the blade flat on the frog .One Spear and Jackson fault would knock on and create another one. The top spring cap had a habit of shifting loose due to the straight up keyhole.Apart from that the cam on the lever spring would be tighter in the loose position than when it was supposed to be tight .That`s why it has a Stanley cap fitted .
So Rapier planes have Bakelite handles. If you had wooden handles coated with hard lacquer you might not notice the difference.Is hard lacquer classed as plastic ? Sorry to complicate the topic but planes ,good and bad , can help the learning curve .Rapiers have all you need technically for a very good plane. Just buy some wooden handles if you absolutely must .Rapiers. Nowt wrong with them .

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts

Carry on!

Cheers, Alf

STAY TUNED?????
I received a Rapier 500 plane from e bay today .Taking the blade off there was a collection of sawdust . The blade to chipbreaker join had some rust . Wire wool shifted that quickly . The chipbreaker is very flat compared to a Stanley. Basically it`s the same design in my wooden planes . Not much of a hump at the front . Taking it apart the small frog adjuster plate was moving as the screw was loose . The lateral adjuster was nice and central .What a relief. But the blade would not sit straight . The cast iron sole has a centre control to keep the frog straight . There is a bump of cast iron on the left side and it restricted the frog .The frog body is made of aluminium so it was easy to file the left side of the frog "nose" until it could find a central position . Very little slackness in the depth adjuster . I was curious to see how the top plate with the tension wheel would work compared to a lever cap . So on the first day I can give the Rapier full marks for that design . Only moderate screwing down gives ample tightness to the blade . A good test is how easy or hard is the lateral lever movement and also the depth adjuster movement. If you want the blade tight in case of knots in the wood you can turn the cap wheel a bit more. If you wanted to change the depth of the blade you can ease off the cap wheel , do the depth change and turn the cap wheel back again . It`s a very intuitive and smooth action compared to the lever cap design .
The Bakelite handles needed a tiny adjustment. The problem with two materials like cast iron and bakelite is neither one has any " give". Wood will squash down to help the fit ,but not bakelite .So you have both screws tight but you still feel a tiny twitch as if they might come loose . My trick was to undo both handles and put a layer of Evostick where they touch the sole plate. and just do the screws up .In 5 minutes the twitching was gone .
The sole needed flattening . On the coarse diamond plate the first shiny mark was behind the blade. Then two long areas along the edges. The part in front of the blade will come in next .(Tomorrow ). The blade edge had all the usual short cut sharpening until the edge bevel was so thick it was unable cut wood . Another tomorrow job . Overall-easy to renovate and it will be a very good plane . Better than Stanley just for the screw cap alone . Well done Gateshead . My spell checker does not realise Bakelite was the start of the plastic era . It keeps giving it a red line .

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts

Carry on!

Cheers, Alf

STAY TUNED?????
I remember phoning up Castrol once and the lady must have liked the sound of my voice and sent me a free pot of Red Rubber Grease . I used that on the Rapier plane that came today . Any screws had a dollop , especially the depth adjuster thread . I put some on the frog surface where the blade fits too . It gives the whole plane operation a nice smooth feel . It`s a rust inhibitor as well as a lubricant . It has a slow smooth feel compared to bearing grease. Much more lethargic . Better for a plane than runny oil . It smells like fruit . It`s a vegetable grease . I was thinking "Let`s see what it feels like ". Well , really good .

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts

Carry on!

Cheers, Alf

STAY TUNED?????
The 500 Rapier I bought 2 days ago had a very blunt blade .I was about to sharpen it and remembered I had an old wooden plane blade already sharp . It was not attached to it`s chipbreaker and I fitted the modern chipbreaker to it . So could I make it fit?? The front of the mouth needed to be opened up and the slot in the blade was a bit narrow for the lateral adjuster . I had already opened the mouth on a Stanley 41/2 for a new thicker blade .So the two jobs were both done with a bastard file .I marked the mouth line with a felt pen and a square .
The old wedge shaped blade fits very nicely in the Rapier. I can make super thin shavings or thick shavings .They curl up very tight so the chipbreaker is working well . The old blade can be fitted back into a wooden plane any time I like . One negative with the Rapier sole is the right side is not very square to the bottom sole so not so useful on a shooting board .After a while using the coarse diamond plate I managed to get it almost right . I can work on that .The best part is the wheel to apply top plate pressure . That is so much better than a lever .
The sole plate is originally a dull grey . I feel like some Red Hermetite gloss would be an improvement.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts

Carry on!

Cheers, Alf

STAY TUNED?????
I bought a Matheson 2 inch tapered blade which will be a useful spare for the Rapier. A Scottish (Glasgow ) blade for an Anglo Scottish (Gateshead ) plane .

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.