LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unisaw #2

I have been spending all of my free time getting this saw in a working condition. I sold my only useer a week or so ago to make room for the new, to me, Delta Unisaw. In my last installment I had painted the cabinet and rebuilt the trunnion/arbor assembly.

As of today I have reassembled the inner workings and the cast top. I forgot how heavy that thing is! I have installed the motor, with 1 belt, i'm waiting on the remaining 2. Today I installed the Biesemeyer fence and rails that were picked up used off of craigslist for $250. I had built and extension table sometime ago for my previous saw but never installed it, now I have a use for it. I will cover the extension with plastic laminate and fabricate a couple of support legs. The support table is leaning to the right in the pic.

The dust door is complete except for reassembly of the latch and new bagde. The angle badge was cleaned and reinstalled as well as the handwheels polished and repainted.

I also kept the Bench Dog router table and installed it. It an awesome addition.

Here is the motor reinstalled. The cast iron goose egg has been painted and will be installed when the belts come in.

The cast goose egg is seen here on the table. I stripped and painted it and got fancy. I added automotive weather stripping to the inside edge that mated to the cabinet. There were 2 reasons: 1) to keep from scratching the paint on the cabinet and 2) it will help seal the opening for dust collection.

I am looking forward to having the saw completed in the next week or so. I am getting behind on the projects and really need a saw.

I could also use some input on a mobile base. What is everyone using?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Unisaw #2

I have been spending all of my free time getting this saw in a working condition. I sold my only useer a week or so ago to make room for the new, to me, Delta Unisaw. In my last installment I had painted the cabinet and rebuilt the trunnion/arbor assembly.

As of today I have reassembled the inner workings and the cast top. I forgot how heavy that thing is! I have installed the motor, with 1 belt, i'm waiting on the remaining 2. Today I installed the Biesemeyer fence and rails that were picked up used off of craigslist for $250. I had built and extension table sometime ago for my previous saw but never installed it, now I have a use for it. I will cover the extension with plastic laminate and fabricate a couple of support legs. The support table is leaning to the right in the pic.

The dust door is complete except for reassembly of the latch and new bagde. The angle badge was cleaned and reinstalled as well as the handwheels polished and repainted.

I also kept the Bench Dog router table and installed it. It an awesome addition.

Here is the motor reinstalled. The cast iron goose egg has been painted and will be installed when the belts come in.

The cast goose egg is seen here on the table. I stripped and painted it and got fancy. I added automotive weather stripping to the inside edge that mated to the cabinet. There were 2 reasons: 1) to keep from scratching the paint on the cabinet and 2) it will help seal the opening for dust collection.

I am looking forward to having the saw completed in the next week or so. I am getting behind on the projects and really need a saw.

Hi Ken,

That saw looks great. But that doesn't look like the same top that had the imbedded miter gauge. What's the story with that?

I like the router insert where can I get and extension like that?

13,555 Posts
Unisaw #2

Going to be a nice Unisaw.

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
Unisaw #2

Looks great Ken.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Getting much closer

Since my last post a few days ago I have fabricated and installed the extension table. All that is left to complete the saw and begin using is to install the VFD and wire the saw, make the legs to support the extension table and a mobile base. As you can see my shop space is limited and I need to be able to relocate the saw occassionally for larger projects. I cant wait to rip that first piece of 8/4 lumber and see what a difference there is in hp upgrade and 3 phase power.

I went ahead and made an insert from UHMW plastic.I guess we will see how well it holds up

·
Registered
13,760 Posts
Getting much closer

Since my last post a few days ago I have fabricated and installed the extension table. All that is left to complete the saw and begin using is to install the VFD and wire the saw, make the legs to support the extension table and a mobile base. As you can see my shop space is limited and I need to be able to relocate the saw occassionally for larger projects. I cant wait to rip that first piece of 8/4 lumber and see what a difference there is in hp upgrade and 3 phase power.

I went ahead and made an insert from UHMW plastic.I guess we will see how well it holds up
man , that looks brand new !
i can't wait to have you using it too .

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Getting much closer

Solid Gold Preservation! Nice work all around. It will probably cut like butter, thanks for sharing and enjoy working with this ageless beauty…Blkcherry

·
Registered
90 Posts
Getting much closer

Very nice job. I'm filled with envy. I wish I had the space for a Unisaw. :(

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
Getting much closer

dat's a beauty!

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Getting much closer

Good job you have a new saw now.
What is that oval cover of a different color made of.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Getting much closer

The saw is looking great.

I cant wait to hear the results when you start it up.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Getting much closer

GMman…If you are referring to the motor cover, which I think you are, it is cast iron. It weighs about 30# and is a pain to install alone. They were an option on the early unisaws and are kinda rare. Original ones sell for $300-$500 when you can find someone who wants to part with it, which isnt very often. I was scared I was gonna drop it and have little cast iron pieces all over the floor. I do have to remove it one more time to finish the wiring to the motor. With a little patience and some help next time I am sure all will be fine.

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
Getting much closer

Looks great Ken great restoration

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Getting much closer

Hey Pat…...Yeah I know I had other plans for the paint scheme. I wasnt able to find a good quality oil base in the colors I wanted and in small enough quantities. Oh well, I think it still looks pretty good.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Getting much closer

I'm curious to see how the UHMW works for a zero clearance insert. That stuff can really grow with heat and I wonder once the kerf is cut how much friction there would be, shouldn't be any unless its a hot day and the sun shines on it.

Nice job on restoring it, I'm envious still trying to find one in my price range.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Getting much closer

mranum….So far the insert has held up well. I have only used it on one project. I dont know if I will continue to make them or switch to ply or mdf. I had it on hand and wanted to give it a try.

13,555 Posts
Getting much closer

The Unisaw looks brandnew.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Unisaw completed

I have been using the unisaw for the past couple of months even though it was not "complete". I did finally get around to finishing the saw yesterday and I must say it is awesome. In the previous pics you will notice that the dust door is missing, even though I have it. I had a new badge made to replace the one on the dust door and a new knob for the same. The badge and knob were installed on the door and the door installed on the saw. When I acquired the saw the metal floor that separates the cast iron plinth and the cabinet was missing. I built a new floor using 1/4" mdf and installed that yesterday as well. When I originally assembled the saw after bearing replacement and painting I used belts that I bought from NAPA, I was not happy at all with them. They were not close to being the same size even though they are marked as 4L260, 26" belt. I replaced them with Gates belts yesterday and all but eliminated any vibration in the saw. I also reconfigured a Delta mobile base and set the saw on it, I needed it to be somewhat mobile as I am working in the garage. The saw is powered with a TECO FM50 VFD which converts 220V single phase power to 3 phase. I must say 3ph is so much smoother than single phase. I am not able to add any pics right now as my camera died. I will get a new camera soon and add some pics. Ohhhhh…..the saw passed a dime test with flying colors!!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Unisaw completed

I have been using the unisaw for the past couple of months even though it was not "complete". I did finally get around to finishing the saw yesterday and I must say it is awesome. In the previous pics you will notice that the dust door is missing, even though I have it. I had a new badge made to replace the one on the dust door and a new knob for the same. The badge and knob were installed on the door and the door installed on the saw. When I acquired the saw the metal floor that separates the cast iron plinth and the cabinet was missing. I built a new floor using 1/4" mdf and installed that yesterday as well. When I originally assembled the saw after bearing replacement and painting I used belts that I bought from NAPA, I was not happy at all with them. They were not close to being the same size even though they are marked as 4L260, 26" belt. I replaced them with Gates belts yesterday and all but eliminated any vibration in the saw. I also reconfigured a Delta mobile base and set the saw on it, I needed it to be somewhat mobile as I am working in the garage. The saw is powered with a TECO FM50 VFD which converts 220V single phase power to 3 phase. I must say 3ph is so much smoother than single phase. I am not able to add any pics right now as my camera died. I will get a new camera soon and add some pics. Ohhhhh…..the saw passed a dime test with flying colors!!
Welcome tot he world of 3 phase, so much better you'll look for ways of moving more things to it soon.

I'll be buying a small VFD for my 17" Delta DP soon. Found an original 3phase delta motor for it.

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
Unisaw completed

if theres no picture - it never happened ;)

congrats on the finished restoration. looking at the previous pics, I can only imagine how great it looks and work. you did a fantastic job on this one - I would love to do the same one day, but don't think I have the patience for it.

3ph is a completely different world then 1ph. nice that you were able to keep it 3ph. how bulky is the VFD?, and how much space does it take? where did you position it?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.