LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,185 Posts
I love it, but it does need to be 'rubbed' in to really work.

It is from the nut of the Tung tree. The story I have heard is that the British were blow away by the Chinese Junks and their water tightness and beauty. At that time the Tung tree was only in China and the British used pine tar to waterproof their boats (yuck). Anyway, Tung oil is unique in that it is one of the few oils that polymerizes or actually hardens. It becomes water proof. The concept of Tung Oil Finishes (Watco, etc.) are blends of Tung and other oils to produce an easier to apply oil with less cost.

Then again, I could be wrong.
Steve

· Registered
2,185 Posts
TO sst, your humor is BLO me.

So good, I have been using walnut oil on my cutting board counter and it is OK. (you can buy it at the supermarket)

Charles, thanks for the visual.
I will try out that Salad Bowl Finish.

Steve

· Registered
2,185 Posts
For what it is worth, I just bopped over to John Boos Cutting Boards for a look (www.johnboos.com). These are probably the most famous Yuppie boards around for use in the kitchen for actual cutting and chopping. So… this brings us full circle back to Tung oil mixtures.

Boos Mystery Oil

John Boos Mystery Oil Is Recommended For Care Of Tops And Blocks That Are Used As A Working, Cutting Surface. This Fine Oil Is A Mixture Of Mineral Oil, Linseed Oil And Tung Oil And Will Give Your John Boos Product The Same Quality Finish As The Factory.

We Recommend Oiling Your Tops Or Blocks Every 4-6 Weeks. This Food-Safe Oil Finish Keeps Your Blocks Looking New.

Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.