LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
21,115 Posts
Tenon dry fit, oops

All of the tenons are cut and fit. Not perfect but the last ones went much better than the first few.

Wood Engineering Machine Composite material Plywood

Wood Engineering Hardwood Composite material Plywood

Wood Floor Flooring Hardwood Engineering

I got wrapped up in laying out and cutting the mortises. Later I realized there is no lower rail on the front of the two larger tables. (they cannot nest if there is a rail in front). I've got some walnut. I think I'll use to plug the mortise. Maybe the contrasting color will make it look like I meant to do it. I may try to cut it as a bow-tie key.

Wood Gesture Door Finger Wood stain

Next up is is some decorative slats for the sides. I'll follow up with more pics then.

BJ
Lookin good. Nicely cut mortises

Attachments

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Scroll work

The tables have some 0.25" slats on the sides. The center slat is 3" wide and has a decorative slot cut into it. The straight part was cut on the router table. The curved ends were cut on a scroll saw.

I bought the scroll saw on CL last winter. It is a Craftsman. This is the first time I used it on a project. I had trouble setting the blade tension. When mounting the blades I set them completely into the clamp. But then there was no play for the tensioning screw. So I had to mount the blades with the clamp rotated forward so the blade could extend past the clamp. I'm sure this isn't correct but it worked. The manual's pictures were not very detailed.

Wood Hardwood Wood stain Flooring Tool

I xeroxed the pattern and pasted it onto the slat so I could follow the shape with the saw. I didn't like the way this worked. So on the rest I drew the shapes by hand and followed the pencil line. This worked better for me.

Like cutting mortises, the first ones were a little rough. The last two turned out much cleaner. I dressed them up with a small rasp and sanded the inside edges to 150 grit.

BJ

Attachments

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Fixing one mistake, creating another

I posted earlier how I cut unneeded mortises in four table legs. Well today I started fixing this error. I decided to cut the motises and plug them with bow-tie keys. The legs are white oak. The keys are walnut.

Wood Gesture Calipers Handheld power drill Thumb

Now the mortise.

Wood Tool Wood stain Gas Hardwood

Gluing it in place.

Wood Automotive tire Yellow Line Floor

Protect the sides and cut with a flush saw.

Wood Electric blue Plastic Font Machine

Wood Font Sleeve Electric blue Plastic

Well shoot, this didn't work too well. The saw dug in. I had trouble controlling it's path. I'm sure it's operator error. Unfortunately it may be too deep to sand. I'm not sure how I'll fix it. (suggestions welcome)

Wood Wood stain Tool Hardwood Plank

When I'm stumped I move on. Below is the second mortise to repair. I cut the mortise with a little more care. I made a clean shelf for the key to rest upon.

Wood Bumper Hardwood Gas Automotive exterior

It fit better so I glued it in place.

Wood Bumper Hardwood Table Gas

This time I used a block plane to make it flush. Then sanded by hand. Looks a lot better.

Wood Table Office ruler Wood stain Floor

This is how I'll make the last two repairs.

BJ

Attachments

·
Registered
553 Posts

I posted earlier how I cut unneeded mortises in four table legs. Well today I started fixing this error. I decided to cut the motises and plug them with bow-tie keys. The legs are white oak. The keys are walnut.

Now the mortise.

Gluing it in place.

Well shoot, this didn't work too well. The saw dug in. I had trouble controlling it's path. I'm sure it's operator error. Unfortunately it may be too deep to sand. I'm not sure how I'll fix it. (suggestions welcome)

When I'm stumped I move on. Below is the second mortise to repair. I cut the mortise with a little more care. I made a clean shelf for the key to rest upon.

This time I used a block plane to make it flush. Then sanded by hand. Looks a lot better.

BJ
use a scraper to clean up your saw wound on the leg.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,818 Posts

Now the mortise.

Gluing it in place.

BJ
I would hand plane it down with a small plane that won't have to flatten the whole leg. Failing that, a scraper as bogey mentioned. If it's still too deep, mix some walnut dust and glue to make a putty of sorts, then sand flush when dry.

Attachments

·
Registered
118,619 Posts

Now the mortise.

Gluing it in place.

BJ
This is a great idea for hiding the extra mortises .Repairing after repairing is just part of woodworking .

Attachments

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·

Now the mortise.

Gluing it in place.

BJ
Bogey and Allen,

I showed it to my wife. She sanded it down to being almost unnoticeable. She is much more patient than I am with a sander.

On the last two pieces, I'll use a plane to get close, then try a scraper for the last little bit.

Thanks for the tip

BJ

Attachments

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Table top miter problem

The plans I'm following call for table tops made up of glued-up boards. I have some very nice Qsawn oak boards with very straight grain. I thought it would look better if I mitered and rotated pieces along the board so the grain would "follow" around the perimeter of the tops.

I like my miter saw so I cut the boards for the smallest table using it. Well for some reason I got some flex in my blade so the cut is not perfectly straight. I'm using a thin kerf 12" blade.

I can match the inside:

Wood Rectangle Triangle Flooring Wood stain

I can match the outside:

Wood Rectangle Chair Triangle Hardwood

But I can't match both! I'll come back to this problem later.

I purchased an Incra Miter 1000 a few months ago. My reason for the purchase was to use it for cutting small blocks for cutting boards. I thought I'd give it a try for this table top.

Well I had squared it up but I must have been off a smidge. Going around the top this added up to 4 smidges.

Wood Rectangle Floor Flooring Hardwood

Wood Rectangle Table Hardwood Wood stain

I squared it up again. This time I did a test piece using some pine. I had trouble holding the piece firmly against the miter gauge fence. It is a small piece and the slight pull makes the miter inaccurate. The fix for this is to buy or make a sled to attach the miter gauge to. This way I could clamp the piece to the sled and hold the piece without putting my fingers at risk. I could buy the Incra sled. My wife will be happier if I make one.

While cutting the pine scrap pieces to run my test, (I cut them close to size using the miter saw), I noticed the miter saw making noise. It sounded like a piece of wood or a chip was wedged up under the blade guard. I unplugged the saw and checked. The guard was clear. I checked the blade and found it was loose. This explains my curved miter cuts. I also realized the blade is pretty dull.

So a new blade this weekend. I'll think about the sled a little bit more.

BJ

Attachments

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Table top miter problem

The plans I'm following call for table tops made up of glued-up boards. I have some very nice Qsawn oak boards with very straight grain. I thought it would look better if I mitered and rotated pieces along the board so the grain would "follow" around the perimeter of the tops.

I like my miter saw so I cut the boards for the smallest table using it. Well for some reason I got some flex in my blade so the cut is not perfectly straight. I'm using a thin kerf 12" blade.

I can match the inside:

I can match the outside:

I purchased an Incra Miter 1000 a few months ago. My reason for the purchase was to use it for cutting small blocks for cutting boards. I thought I'd give it a try for this table top.

Well I had squared it up but I must have been off a smidge. Going around the top this added up to 4 smidges.

I squared it up again. This time I did a test piece using some pine. I had trouble holding the piece firmly against the miter gauge fence. It is a small piece and the slight pull makes the miter inaccurate. The fix for this is to buy or make a sled to attach the miter gauge to. This way I could clamp the piece to the sled and hold the piece without putting my fingers at risk. I could buy the Incra sled. My wife will be happier if I make one.

While cutting the pine scrap pieces to run my test, (I cut them close to size using the miter saw), I noticed the miter saw making noise. It sounded like a piece of wood or a chip was wedged up under the blade guard. I unplugged the saw and checked. The guard was clear. I checked the blade and found it was loose. This explains my curved miter cuts. I also realized the blade is pretty dull.

BJ
Sharp tools go a long way toward good joints. Use an artist square, the plastic ones, to set your gauge. Check your miter slot to blade with a dial indicator. Brian at Garagewoodworks has a great one. Getting four 90s can be a challenge. A doable challenge.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
Table top miter problem

I can match the inside:

I can match the outside:

BJ
Great idea for the piece, I agree get the saw set with the artist square and test until they meet.

Attachments

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Mitering success

I had some problems cutting my mitered table top. I used an Incra miter gauge but had trouble holding the piece firmly. I have a shop built miter sled, but because the pieces are small, they don't lie well against the fence.

Rectangle Wood Material property Flooring Tints and shades

I bit the bullet and bought the Incra miter express sled. I'm not doing a review here but I like the sled. I felt very safe using it. The only problem I had was binding in my miter slot. I have a Craftsman Hybrid TS. It has a granite top. I may have to file a little bit on the miter slot. I squared everything up and made some test cuts. Apparently I wasn't quite true.

Table Wood Engineering Motor vehicle Machine

To make four 45 degree joints match up all the way around the top, (8 cuts), I had to set the saw at 45.2 degrees. For the two remaining tops I will set it at 45.15 degrees. This should fine tune it slightly. Very easy to adjust with the Incra miter.

Table Wood Rectangle Triangle Material property

Hey there's a hole in the middle! Instead of trying to make a clean joint all the way to a center point, I thought I'd leave an opening. This will be filled with a ceramic tile of a celtic knot. I'll cut a mortise and drop it in

Rectangle Wood Material property Font Pattern

This is a nesting table project with 3 small end tables. Each will have a tile in the center. 3×3 for the small table. 4×4 for the middle size. 6×6 for the largest top. Here is a cool advantage to using the internet. I was able to find an art studio in British Columbia run by John & Shannon Gresham. They had just what I was looking for. They were fast and inexpensive. This was for a small, (5 tile) order. 2,000 miles away, I paid using paypal. Before the web I would have had to put in many hours and lots of miles to find these tiles. Here is a link http://earthsongtiles.com

I'll post more as things progress.

BJ

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mitering success

I had some problems cutting my mitered table top. I used an Incra miter gauge but had trouble holding the piece firmly. I have a shop built miter sled, but because the pieces are small, they don't lie well against the fence.

I bit the bullet and bought the Incra miter express sled. I'm not doing a review here but I like the sled. I felt very safe using it. The only problem I had was binding in my miter slot. I have a Craftsman Hybrid TS. It has a granite top. I may have to file a little bit on the miter slot. I squared everything up and made some test cuts. Apparently I wasn't quite true.

To make four 45 degree joints match up all the way around the top, (8 cuts), I had to set the saw at 45.2 degrees. For the two remaining tops I will set it at 45.15 degrees. This should fine tune it slightly. Very easy to adjust with the Incra miter.

Hey there's a hole in the middle! Instead of trying to make a clean joint all the way to a center point, I thought I'd leave an opening. This will be filled with a ceramic tile of a celtic knot. I'll cut a mortise and drop it in

This is a nesting table project with 3 small end tables. Each will have a tile in the center. 3×3 for the small table. 4×4 for the middle size. 6×6 for the largest top. Here is a cool advantage to using the internet. I was able to find an art studio in British Columbia run by John & Shannon Gresham. They had just what I was looking for. They were fast and inexpensive. This was for a small, (5 tile) order. 2,000 miles away, I paid using paypal. Before the web I would have had to put in many hours and lots of miles to find these tiles. Here is a link http://earthsongtiles.com

BJ
Thanks for posting this. I bought the rockler version of this sled looking forward to using it.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,103 Posts
Mitering success

BJ
Looks like a great sled. My own miter gauge came with my table saw and the fence is shaped like an 'L'. First you cut the first piece on one fence and the matching piece on the other. they will always match up even if the miter gauge is set a little off the the true angle. Simple but effective.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,103 Posts
Mitering success

BJ
Looks like a great sled. My own miter gauge came with my table saw and the fence is shaped like an 'L'. First you cut the first piece on one fence and the matching piece on the other. they will always match up even if the miter gauge is set a little off the the true angle. Simple but effective.

Attachments

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
A tighter miter

It has been 2 months since I worked on the project and posted any progress. In the last entry I was happy with the first mitered top. But over the holidays I would look at it and think, I can make it better, (a tighter miter).

The first top was cut at 45.2 degrees. There was a slight gap in the joint. I ran a few test pieces through. I adjusted the miter sled by 0.05 degrees. I'm not kidding. The best tests were at 45.15 degrees. If I was working in pine, the first cuts could have been clamped tight. But this is QSWO. I wanted them as close as possible because of limited flex in the WO.

This is the top I recut. It is 9" x 9"
Wood Rectangle Font Flooring Wood stain

This is the middle size table top. 14.5" x 14.5"
Rectangle Wood Flooring Floor Wood stain

This is the large table top. 20" x 20"
Table Wood Automotive design Rectangle Automotive exterior

All three for comparison. The first piece is at the very top. It wasn't a wasted piece. I used it to test the glue up process and practice cutting the mortice. I used a Incra miter express sled for the miters. It made the cuts accurate and SAFE!
Wood Automotive design Flooring Engineering Machine

The glue up was tricky. I dry fit it all first. Then clamped one piece to the work bench. I then brushed glue on the mitered edges and set them together. Minimal clamping pressure. I was more concerned with keeping it flat so I clamped each piece to the table as I assembled the top. (sorry no pics). I used waxed paper to keep the mess manageable. That's something I learned here at LJs.

After the glue up was finished I machined a camfered edge. The tables are A&C style. The plans called for a flat glue up with squared edges. I think this looks nicer.
Table Wood Engineering Machine Toy

The next step is to drop in the decorative tile in the center of each top.
First I scribe the shape with a marking knife. The tiles are not perfectly square. Each mortice must match its tile.
Door mat Rectangle Wood Wood stain Hardwood

Rectangle Art Gesture Wood Font

Then I drill out the excess with a forstner bit. The small table fit in the drill press. These pics are the middle size, 14.5", top. I had to drill this top with a cordless drill.
Pneumatic tool Drill Handheld power drill Automotive tire Hammer drill

Table Wood Automotive tire Flooring Hardwood

Wood Rectangle Beige Hardwood Facade

Now to clean out the mortice.
Calipers Hand tool Wood Geologist's hammer Stonemason's hammer

And the fit is good.
Rectangle Wood Flooring Floor Building

I'm wondering if anyone has advice for gluing the tiles to the tops. The bottom of the tiles are not glazed. I think any wood glue would work. Any thoughts or suggestions?

More to follow.

BJ

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
A tighter miter

It has been 2 months since I worked on the project and posted any progress. In the last entry I was happy with the first mitered top. But over the holidays I would look at it and think, I can make it better, (a tighter miter).

The first top was cut at 45.2 degrees. There was a slight gap in the joint. I ran a few test pieces through. I adjusted the miter sled by 0.05 degrees. I'm not kidding. The best tests were at 45.15 degrees. If I was working in pine, the first cuts could have been clamped tight. But this is QSWO. I wanted them as close as possible because of limited flex in the WO.

All three for comparison. The first piece is at the very top. It wasn't a wasted piece. I used it to test the glue up process and practice cutting the mortice. I used a Incra miter express sled for the miters. It made the cuts accurate and SAFE!

The glue up was tricky. I dry fit it all first. Then clamped one piece to the work bench. I then brushed glue on the mitered edges and set them together. Minimal clamping pressure. I was more concerned with keeping it flat so I clamped each piece to the table as I assembled the top. (sorry no pics). I used waxed paper to keep the mess manageable. That's something I learned here at LJs.

After the glue up was finished I machined a camfered edge. The tables are A&C style. The plans called for a flat glue up with squared edges. I think this looks nicer.

First I scribe the shape with a marking knife. The tiles are not perfectly square. Each mortice must match its tile.

Then I drill out the excess with a forstner bit. The small table fit in the drill press. These pics are the middle size, 14.5", top. I had to drill this top with a cordless drill.

And the fit is good.

I'm wondering if anyone has advice for gluing the tiles to the tops. The bottom of the tiles are not glazed. I think any wood glue would work. Any thoughts or suggestions?

More to follow.

BJ
I don't think I'd try wood glue. I'd think you'd have better luck with silicone.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
A tighter miter

And the fit is good.

More to follow.

BJ
Construction adhesive.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
A tighter miter

And the fit is good.

More to follow.

BJ
Your miters came out great. They can make you want to throw something when thier not working.

I would go to the tile isle at your local big box store and buy adhesive especially made for tile.
That's what I did on this project and and it will hold up like you need it to…...................

Attachments

·
Registered
21,115 Posts
A tighter miter

And the fit is good.

More to follow.

BJ
I like it. Those miters are very nice. I don't have a clue what to use to make it stick.

Attachments

·
Registered
814 Posts
A tighter miter

And the fit is good.

More to follow.

BJ
Be careful, even with quarter sawn stock, you will still have wood movement. If every thing is too tight you risk breaking your tiles. That's also why I would not use wood, no flex once it's glued down. I'd go with the construction adhesive or a specialty tile product. Good luck, they are looking great.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.