LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Scott, you can touch it to the blade , with power to the switch on but the power to the blade off, and if it will cause a trip, the green light will turn to red. If you are cutting a bunch of it, call SS customer service, because I thought there was a material that tends to stick to the sensor, and I don't recall if it was trex or not . but IIRC there was a suggestion about how to avoid a problem. If you are only cutting a little, and you don't want to take any chances with a false trigger, you can always use bypass mode

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Alternatively, you can always temporarilly turn off the detector. I do this when cutting particurlarly wet wood. OTOH, I've accidently cut through a couple of finish nails and NOT tripped the detector. I'm sure it was because there was not a path from the nail to my body.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I just cut some yesterday for lawn border and stakes. No problems, bypass mode not necessary.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. My concern is that TREX is very dense and they use a resin with the sawdust so I didn't want the SS to trip because of that.

I made 2 cuts yesterday in bypass mode but then I figured that it kind of defeats the purpose of me having the SS in the first place. It's nothing urgent, so I may call or email SS to be absolutely sure.

I would have to sue SS and Trex if anything bad were to happen. ;-)

·
Registered
27,252 Posts
I agree that it shouldn't be a problem. I have been putting down bamboo floor and cutting the flooring on mine. Basically the flooring is very dense mixture of bamboo sawdust and epoxy resins.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.