LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
101 - 120 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Sides Marquetry incrustation

I have been back full time on our boxes for over a week now so I have some progress to report.

I have been selecting veneer out of our veneer cellar for the ebony background.

Brown Rectangle Wood Publication Book

From the experience of the previous series I paperbacked the ebony as it is a very brittle wood. Better be safe than sorry

Wood Rectangle Road surface Asphalt Font

Then built the packs in 4 layers without forgetting the grease paper, one of my specialty in the mistake department. Teaching marquetry has been a great help as by reminding the students to not forget it, it seems I myself stopped forgetting to insert it.

Wood Rectangle Flooring Table Floor

When the packs are made I glue the design on

Brown Rectangle Wood Beige Pattern

another lesson from the previous series is to drill the packs for the nails. So on this project I used red for the bridges, to be really visible, blue for the nails and a red dot for the entry points.

Brown White Rectangle Creative arts Line

Next step is to cut the background on the chevy. Ebony is really tough on the blades, very abrasive.

Easel Wood Art Wood stain Hardwood

I am cutting all the line away because I really do not want to have to trim the ebony, which may happen if I am to greedy for precision.

Table Wood Plant Wood stain Natural material

Everything is kept inside the pack with tape to keep the integrity of the pack and avoid breaking any piece of the fragile background.

Brown Rectangle Wood Tree Beige

When I am done cutting I remove the tape and carefully remove the plugs of waste.

Art Font Rectangle Pattern Creative arts

Then I open the pack layer by layer. I keep the rest pressed at all time to avoid hygrometric variations, as I said before, I really do not want to have to trim my ebony. Also everything is kept in a tray as precaution until I am done incrusting a panel, you sometime do not know right away if you have broken a piece.

Rectangle Black Wood Textile Creative arts

16 marquetry panels, some of them are on the other side of the assembly boards, 4 times 4 sides.

Brown Rectangle Wood Stairs Floor

I am still missing my green bones. I have not found yet a good recipe. If anyone knows a good way I will be really grateful, it does not seem to want to go all the way through… I am currently testing another recipe.

Brown Flower Rectangle Wood Textile

An I really like some of Patrick choices for the color palette, I think we improved from the first series, we always learn.

Brown Flower Rectangle Petal Wood

Next step, cutting the tops backgrounds and this is going to be a really difficult job. But I will post next week on it, hopefully, if I do not mess up.

In yellow, the bone element, in green the green bone leaves and in blue the isolated background elements that I have to bridge in place and carefully keep.

Rectangle Azure Textile Aqua Art

This is a really exiting project

Cheers
Thank you. I am just glad I have been lucky enough to do that as a living.

You can get gabon ebony if you use sawn veneer or if you resaw your own. For what I understand it is really hard to slice therefore the use of dyed black for sliced veneer marquetry.

I take really the time with the shading it makes such a difference at the end.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Sides Marquetry incrustation

I have been back full time on our boxes for over a week now so I have some progress to report.

I have been selecting veneer out of our veneer cellar for the ebony background.

Brown Rectangle Wood Publication Book

From the experience of the previous series I paperbacked the ebony as it is a very brittle wood. Better be safe than sorry

Wood Rectangle Road surface Asphalt Font

Then built the packs in 4 layers without forgetting the grease paper, one of my specialty in the mistake department. Teaching marquetry has been a great help as by reminding the students to not forget it, it seems I myself stopped forgetting to insert it.

Wood Rectangle Flooring Table Floor

When the packs are made I glue the design on

Brown Rectangle Wood Beige Pattern

another lesson from the previous series is to drill the packs for the nails. So on this project I used red for the bridges, to be really visible, blue for the nails and a red dot for the entry points.

Brown White Rectangle Creative arts Line

Next step is to cut the background on the chevy. Ebony is really tough on the blades, very abrasive.

Easel Wood Art Wood stain Hardwood

I am cutting all the line away because I really do not want to have to trim the ebony, which may happen if I am to greedy for precision.

Table Wood Plant Wood stain Natural material

Everything is kept inside the pack with tape to keep the integrity of the pack and avoid breaking any piece of the fragile background.

Brown Rectangle Wood Tree Beige

When I am done cutting I remove the tape and carefully remove the plugs of waste.

Art Font Rectangle Pattern Creative arts

Then I open the pack layer by layer. I keep the rest pressed at all time to avoid hygrometric variations, as I said before, I really do not want to have to trim my ebony. Also everything is kept in a tray as precaution until I am done incrusting a panel, you sometime do not know right away if you have broken a piece.

Rectangle Black Wood Textile Creative arts

16 marquetry panels, some of them are on the other side of the assembly boards, 4 times 4 sides.

Brown Rectangle Wood Stairs Floor

I am still missing my green bones. I have not found yet a good recipe. If anyone knows a good way I will be really grateful, it does not seem to want to go all the way through… I am currently testing another recipe.

Brown Flower Rectangle Wood Textile

An I really like some of Patrick choices for the color palette, I think we improved from the first series, we always learn.

Brown Flower Rectangle Petal Wood

Next step, cutting the tops backgrounds and this is going to be a really difficult job. But I will post next week on it, hopefully, if I do not mess up.

In yellow, the bone element, in green the green bone leaves and in blue the isolated background elements that I have to bridge in place and carefully keep.

Rectangle Azure Textile Aqua Art

This is a really exiting project

Cheers
The color palette is perfect and your cutting is sooo good. I saw the last one of the first series I think this is much better, its the shading I think that makes it look so good.

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Top incrustation

As promised some news on the marquetry top for the treasure box series #2

The challenge here is to insert the oval white bone inlay first then cut the rest of the background repositioning the pack perfectly as some of the marquetry looks like it moves in front and in the back of those bones.

Rectangle Azure Textile Creative arts Art

I first build the pack with 4 layers of paperbacked ebony sawn veneer

Brown Rectangle Wood Flooring Font

I used a idea of mine and an idea from Patrick to locate perfectly the veneer with the 2 drawings that had to be used to cut this background twice.

I used lines and a v cut to clamp the pack with the first drawing and he second drawing

Art Wood Font Tree Tints and shades

Wood Art Tree Wall Font

and drill 4 holes with a bit the right size to use veneer nails to rebuild the back after cutting the oval.

The drawing for the oval has bridges to keep everything at the right spot

Rectangle Wood Grey Art Flooring

Atmospheric phenomenon Twig Art Pattern Font

Cutting the cavities on the marquetry chevalet

Wood Textile Floor Art Wall

I prepared a light paper assembly board as I had to glue it twice on an assembly board and did not want to add to much paper and glue to the front.

Wood Rectangle Grey Natural material Hardwood

I had to cut some ebony string inlays to go in sandwich between 2 bones purflings.

Wood Line Gas Flooring Hardwood

And soaked the bone to make them more bendable.

Drinkware Mason jar Tableware Liquid Wood

Here is the background with the oval cut done, the ebony string inlay and the bone. The assembly board is ready, the glue is hot and I have podcast on my Ipad, ready to go.

Table Wood Tableware Art Audio equipment

The background is slapped down on the assembly board with hot hide glue

Rectangle Wood Art Font Beige

I cut the middle bridges as I go and insert the 3 string inlays in the cavity, here is a particularly horrible picture to illustrate this step

Wood Font Gas Art Flooring

You can see now the locator hole Patrick thought about to rebuild the pack precisely

Wood Rectangle Grey Font Tree

and the rebuilding in action

Sleeve Rectangle Wood Collar Beige

Ready to cut some more.

Rectangle Wood Art Font Plant

The pack was fairly heavy and the ebony is really hard to cut.

Wood Gas Flooring Hardwood Rectangle

It took me roughly 5 days with 5 hours of cutting a day to finish it. This is after 3 days.

Rectangle Textile Art Wood Font

But the locators did work great. As you can see the pieces I had to keep as they were to small for bridges are exactly the same, better than expected.

Textile Plant Organism Font Tree

When I open a pack I always keep all my trash you never know what you are going to miss

World Rectangle Wood Textile Paint

Like this broken bridge

Azure Rectangle Asphalt Wood Electric blue

I got myself ready for incrustation

Furniture World Blue Wood Textile

Blue World Purple Wood Plant

A series of picture to illustrate the incrustation session, almost 2 weeks for 4 panels

Rectangle Organism Font Art Pattern

Textile Rectangle Sleeve Font Art

Font Pattern Art Rectangle Painting

Brown Textile Rectangle Font Pattern

Mythical creature Textile Art Pattern Wood

Mythical creature Textile Art Painting Rectangle

Textile Art Creative arts Pattern Symmetry

Art Creative arts Symmetry Pattern Dishware

And as usual I love details shot. Please pardon this excess of pictures, but this has been my biggest marquetry challenge so far and I did sweat a lot on that part, and not only because I was working at 85-92 degrees because of successive heat waves…

Bird Wood Creative arts Art Pattern

Flower Petal Rectangle Botany Textile

Brown Flower Plant Leaf Textile

Brown Flower Plant Textile Rectangle

Art Flower Painting Wood Rectangle

Sleeve Pattern Creative arts Art Metal

Thank you for following !

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Top incrustation

The challenge here is to insert the oval white bone inlay first then cut the rest of the background repositioning the pack perfectly as some of the marquetry looks like it moves in front and in the back of those bones.

I used a idea of mine and an idea from Patrick to locate perfectly the veneer with the 2 drawings that had to be used to cut this background twice.

I used lines and a v cut to clamp the pack with the first drawing and he second drawing

Wood Art Tree Wall Font

and drill 4 holes with a bit the right size to use veneer nails to rebuild the back after cutting the oval.

I prepared a light paper assembly board as I had to glue it twice on an assembly board and did not want to add to much paper and glue to the front.

I had to cut some ebony string inlays to go in sandwich between 2 bones purflings.

Here is the background with the oval cut done, the ebony string inlay and the bone. The assembly board is ready, the glue is hot and I have podcast on my Ipad, ready to go.

I cut the middle bridges as I go and insert the 3 string inlays in the cavity, here is a particularly horrible picture to illustrate this step

You can see now the locator hole Patrick thought about to rebuild the pack precisely

Ready to cut some more.

It took me roughly 5 days with 5 hours of cutting a day to finish it. This is after 3 days.

But the locators did work great. As you can see the pieces I had to keep as they were to small for bridges are exactly the same, better than expected.

When I open a pack I always keep all my trash you never know what you are going to miss

Like this broken bridge

A series of picture to illustrate the incrustation session, almost 2 weeks for 4 panels

And as usual I love details shot. Please pardon this excess of pictures, but this has been my biggest marquetry challenge so far and I did sweat a lot on that part, and not only because I was working at 85-92 degrees because of successive heat waves…

Cheers!
No Patrice, THANK YOU.
This is just so sweet. The cutting and assembly are, of course, great but what impresses me the most is your shading.
It is so "right" looking.

You mention that you soaked the bone to bend it. Did you also soak the ebony. As you know I have some of the same material and to look at it, it doesn't seem very bendable. Perhaps I'll have to give it a try.

The string inlays really set this piece off so it was definitely worth the effort. I think these boxes will be even nicer than the first set ….. no mean feat.

Thanks again.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Top incrustation

Wood Art Tree Wall Font

Ready to cut some more.

Like this broken bridge

Cheers!
Patrice,

Very, very impressive, as Paul wrote, thank you for posting.

Keith

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Top incrustation

Wood Art Tree Wall Font

Ready to cut some more.

Like this broken bridge

Cheers!
Thank you.

I did not soak the ebony, I figured that the bone will clamp the ebony in place in the cavity, and I can se some small deferring but nothing really to worry about as it is black. I think it only works because it is in a grove just the right size for the three inlays and therefore they can not really snap, except for the bone if it is not soaked.
This box is definitely way more involved than the first set. I would have simplified the drawing if we did not have presold 2 boxes first, but in fact it is good to as we will produce a more complicated project.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Top incrustation

Ready to cut some more.

Like this broken bridge

Cheers!
WOW! WOW! WOW! That is amazing! Thank you so much for sharing that process

Attachments

·
Registered
527 Posts
Top incrustation

Wood Art Tree Wall Font

Ready to cut some more.

Like this broken bridge

Cheers!
Once again absolutely amazing and beautiful.

Attachments

·
Registered
715 Posts
Top incrustation

Wood Art Tree Wall Font

Ready to cut some more.

Like this broken bridge

Cheers!
Wow Patrice, I bet you sweat doing all that cutting and assembly work. Thanks so much for sharing these techniques with us amateurs…we can only dream about producing this kind of work. As Paul says, the shading is masterfully done and brings such realism to the design. Here again, the color palette selection is shown to be outstanding. I couldn't read the units on the scale where you were showing the weight of the pack, can you clarify please…was that 4.78 lbs?

By the way, did you ever figure out how to dye the bone green or are you using wood veneers for the leaves?

Congratulations on already pre-selling two of the boxes in this series! I'm sure these will be worth a fortune when they are done and will only appreciate from there. Great to see there are patrons still willing to support the level of craftsmanship and the time investment it takes to produce such quality work.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Top incrustation

Wood Art Tree Wall Font

Ready to cut some more.

Like this broken bridge

Cheers!
Patrice,

This absolutely takes my breath away! We love your series of photos of the incrustation to show us just how it progresses. The details are so precise; the shading so perfect; the design so lovely! What an heirloom piece!

L/W

Attachments

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Top incrustation

Wood Art Tree Wall Font

Ready to cut some more.

Like this broken bridge

Cheers!
Magnificent! It's easy to make the case that some of the best work in the country is coming out of 3815 Utah. I'm sure the pictures don't do it justice. It's hard to imagine that Riesner or Oeben would have done as well. Spectacular work. My compliments.
Roger

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Top incrustation

Ready to cut some more.

Like this broken bridge

Cheers!
Thank you.

It was 47.8 oz, 3 lbs. Quite enough to wear muscles down.

We are still investigating the dying. We will start 2 new batches of recipes next week. I still believe in copper sulfate, the vinegar though seem to turn the surface of the bone mushy and it never comes back to shape ending up with half a millimeter bone veneer instead of 1.5mm
We pre-sold the third one a month ago. They are not that expensive even if I could not afford one as most of our pieces… I chose to have a car instead, how stupid is that!

Thank you all for your nice comments.

Next step, work on the box's body, finally die bone green, so we can start veneering the damn thing.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,901 Posts
Top incrustation

Wood Art Tree Wall Font

Ready to cut some more.

Like this broken bridge

Cheers!
Every time you share your work is a treat - and you don't need to worry about too many pictures! Thanks for sharing.

Attachments