LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
I'm building a toy box out of alder and and walnut to have a rustic look like this by Rustic Bru. I plan to make the panels out of individual boards - probably 3-4 horizontal alder boards per panel joined by my own tongue and groove joints. I do not plan on gluing the boards together to form the panel - just dry fit. If I make the panel boards 3/8" thick, I would end up with 1/8" for the tongue.

Since I have no kids, I have no idea how rough a little guy can be with his toybox. Is it possible for him to kick the panels and break the tongue and groove? Should I make them thicker? Or should I change to plywood for the panels?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like good advice. stiles and rails 3-3/4" x 1-1/8" thick. posts are 3-3/4" x 1-3/4" thick. So I can go up 1/2" thick on the panels with no problem - maybe a little thicker

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Good luck with your toy box. Be sure to incorporate some sort of locking hinge that will keep the top/lid open when the kids get excited. I had a 2 year old nephew that was killed when the lid of the toy box his dad made fell on his neck when he was trying to reach a toy in the bottom of the toy box.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Toolz- sorry for your loss. I suspected something like this could happen and talked about it with mothers of young children, but I never heard of anyone that had experienced such a nightmare

I've been thinking for the last 2 weeks how to make this thing safe. I'm using the Rockler safety hinges, rounding the edges

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.