LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking the plunge!

I've been posting lots of questions for about a week now, emailing and messaging fellow Lumberjocks, and I've finally started my project so I thought I'd blog about it to keep track of my project. Progress may not be the quickest, but I'll post what I run into along the way - the good, the bad, and the ugly!

My wife and I are thinking about finally starting a family. I just finished graduate school, got a job, and she'll be done with her doctorate also in a few months. She has always wanted a rocking chair, "for when we have kids", so I thought I'd try to get one made before the crying and lack of sleep sets in from a new little one.

I've always liked the look of the Maloof rocker, but a few things just didn't set with me. This in no way is meant to belittle the amazing work of Sam Maloof, but I wanted to customize it a bit for myself. First: I didn't want the front legs to be turned. Nothing on the rest of the chair is perfectly round, and the front legs seemed a little out of place. I turned to inspiration for the front legs to Hal Taylor, who uses a more shaped design. Second, Also from the Hal Taylor design, I like the lamination idea for the back slats. The added strength laminates give, flexibility for comfortable sitting, and ability to add style by using different woods for the layup appealed to me. However, I still want to keep the up-turned headrest from Maloof. I have a few more ideas of my own up my sleeves that I'll figure out if they are possible once I get going. This will definitely be a hybrid chair!

Wood selection…UGH! I went round and round on this one for a while. Thanks to much help and may suggestions from fellow LJ's, here's what I have come up with: Predominantly black walnut. The seat I will be using a style similar to Paul from http://www.canadianwoodworks.com/ with his lacewood/walnut chair. The seat is .25" top layer of Walnut, 1.5" lacewood, then bottom surface is again 0.25 walnut. When shaped, the lacewood shows itself, but wrapped in walnut. I will be using the same idea, but spalted hard maple instead of lacewood. The headrest will also have some style to it. 1/3 on the right and left side will be walnut, and the middle 1/3 will be a nice piece of spalted maple. Backrests will be a layup of 4 pieces from front to back: spalted maple, walnut, spalted maple, spalted maple. The unsymmetrical layup helps keep it from looking like it was purchased, or merely just plywood. The rockers will also be a layup of alternating layers.

My wood will be purchased from a guy I found near Milwaukee who takes trees from local city's that are cutting down trees that would otherwise end up in the landfill. He cuts them up, kiln dries them, and sells for a very reasonable price! I'm normally not a big eco-guy, but local wood is pretty cool, I can select the exact pieces from his huge stock, and the price can't be beat.

I'm working on figuring out my exact plans as we speak, so look for another post soon detailing which ones I buy and the modifications I'm going to make to it.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Taking the plunge!

I've been posting lots of questions for about a week now, emailing and messaging fellow Lumberjocks, and I've finally started my project so I thought I'd blog about it to keep track of my project. Progress may not be the quickest, but I'll post what I run into along the way - the good, the bad, and the ugly!

My wife and I are thinking about finally starting a family. I just finished graduate school, got a job, and she'll be done with her doctorate also in a few months. She has always wanted a rocking chair, "for when we have kids", so I thought I'd try to get one made before the crying and lack of sleep sets in from a new little one.

I've always liked the look of the Maloof rocker, but a few things just didn't set with me. This in no way is meant to belittle the amazing work of Sam Maloof, but I wanted to customize it a bit for myself. First: I didn't want the front legs to be turned. Nothing on the rest of the chair is perfectly round, and the front legs seemed a little out of place. I turned to inspiration for the front legs to Hal Taylor, who uses a more shaped design. Second, Also from the Hal Taylor design, I like the lamination idea for the back slats. The added strength laminates give, flexibility for comfortable sitting, and ability to add style by using different woods for the layup appealed to me. However, I still want to keep the up-turned headrest from Maloof. I have a few more ideas of my own up my sleeves that I'll figure out if they are possible once I get going. This will definitely be a hybrid chair!

Wood selection…UGH! I went round and round on this one for a while. Thanks to much help and may suggestions from fellow LJ's, here's what I have come up with: Predominantly black walnut. The seat I will be using a style similar to Paul from http://www.canadianwoodworks.com/ with his lacewood/walnut chair. The seat is .25" top layer of Walnut, 1.5" lacewood, then bottom surface is again 0.25 walnut. When shaped, the lacewood shows itself, but wrapped in walnut. I will be using the same idea, but spalted hard maple instead of lacewood. The headrest will also have some style to it. 1/3 on the right and left side will be walnut, and the middle 1/3 will be a nice piece of spalted maple. Backrests will be a layup of 4 pieces from front to back: spalted maple, walnut, spalted maple, spalted maple. The unsymmetrical layup helps keep it from looking like it was purchased, or merely just plywood. The rockers will also be a layup of alternating layers.

My wood will be purchased from a guy I found near Milwaukee who takes trees from local city's that are cutting down trees that would otherwise end up in the landfill. He cuts them up, kiln dries them, and sells for a very reasonable price! I'm normally not a big eco-guy, but local wood is pretty cool, I can select the exact pieces from his huge stock, and the price can't be beat.

I'm working on figuring out my exact plans as we speak, so look for another post soon detailing which ones I buy and the modifications I'm going to make to it.
Sounds like an interesting project! It would be great to have a lumberyard like you describe close by.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BUSTED!!!

So much for trying to keep this top secret! My wife checked my email account from my phone last night when we were driving back from Thanksgiving. She was a bit curious about what this Top Secret project was all about. I tried minimizing the damage by admitting that: "I was thinking of building one, but said that I don't have nearly the ability to make it. The thread was just feeling it out, and it bombed on me." She seemed to buy the excuse for now. And to make sure this doesn't happen again I just made a new email account that she now doesn't know about where I'll get my LJ mail sent to!

I purchased plans this weekend. With some recommendations based on the ideas that I have, I purchased the Hal Taylor design book, set of plans, and backrest template. I'm hoping to get everything in the mail by Friday so I can make sure I know exactly what I'll need for lumber purchasing this weekend.

As far as building the chair without her finding out, that won't be a problem. We aren't actually living in the same place right now. No, not from marital problems, but she is doing month-long clinical rotations at hospitals around the country as her last year of medical school. I'm living in Minneapolis with my Godfather until she is finished. He has a woodshop in his basement, so I'll come home from work, play around for a few hours, give her a call and she'll be none-the-wiser!

The wood supplier is definitely Treecycle Hardwoods from West Bend, WI (http://www.treecyclehardwoods.com/). I'm heading there on Saturday to pick out all my lumber. Unfortunately, his figured black walnut won't be ready until February, as I'd have liked to have some figured wood for the arm rests. Even still, I'll see what he has and post up some pictures once I have all my pieces.

Progress at first might be a little slow. I just got roped into building my mom a new live-edge, slab-top coffee table for Christmas. The design is pretty easy, but it still needs to be made. In any case, I'll try to post up my crude picture of what I want it to look like soon.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
BUSTED!!!

So much for trying to keep this top secret! My wife checked my email account from my phone last night when we were driving back from Thanksgiving. She was a bit curious about what this Top Secret project was all about. I tried minimizing the damage by admitting that: "I was thinking of building one, but said that I don't have nearly the ability to make it. The thread was just feeling it out, and it bombed on me." She seemed to buy the excuse for now. And to make sure this doesn't happen again I just made a new email account that she now doesn't know about where I'll get my LJ mail sent to!

I purchased plans this weekend. With some recommendations based on the ideas that I have, I purchased the Hal Taylor design book, set of plans, and backrest template. I'm hoping to get everything in the mail by Friday so I can make sure I know exactly what I'll need for lumber purchasing this weekend.

As far as building the chair without her finding out, that won't be a problem. We aren't actually living in the same place right now. No, not from marital problems, but she is doing month-long clinical rotations at hospitals around the country as her last year of medical school. I'm living in Minneapolis with my Godfather until she is finished. He has a woodshop in his basement, so I'll come home from work, play around for a few hours, give her a call and she'll be none-the-wiser!

The wood supplier is definitely Treecycle Hardwoods from West Bend, WI (http://www.treecyclehardwoods.com/). I'm heading there on Saturday to pick out all my lumber. Unfortunately, his figured black walnut won't be ready until February, as I'd have liked to have some figured wood for the arm rests. Even still, I'll see what he has and post up some pictures once I have all my pieces.

Progress at first might be a little slow. I just got roped into building my mom a new live-edge, slab-top coffee table for Christmas. The design is pretty easy, but it still needs to be made. In any case, I'll try to post up my crude picture of what I want it to look like soon.
Looking forward to seeing progress. But you must keep MOM happy first.

·
Registered
147 Posts
BUSTED!!!

Keep a good blog with lots of pictures, I have looked into this also and a nice rocking chair for my Daughter, she just told us that I will be a Grandpa in June, would be a great gift for her. Now, All I have to do is find a good plan and wood to start.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BUSTED!!!

David - I had a tough time deciding on a plan. What seemed to help me was look at TONS of pictures to figure out what you like, and what your Daughter might like. Then once you decide, ask questions and look at reviews online to see which plans will work well for you. I'll make sure to put up a lot of pictures once things start progressing.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
BUSTED!!!

umm… if she reads your email- maybe she reads L/J posts as well? Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
BUSTED!!!

Well whether your you get busted or not, keep on doing this blog…looking forward to following along.

It sounds like you did not get the Hal Taylor DVD, I would suggest you consider that too, it has a ton of info and it is beneficial to see how it is done. Try http://www.youtube.com/user/RockingChairU for a sampling of what is on the dvd.

Also just in case you have not seen this, here is a blog done by a "first timer" http://hubyuk128.blogspot.com/2010/03/building-hal-taylor-rocking-chair.html

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BUSTED!!!

I'm not too worried that she'll log onto LJ and spy on me here. Discovery was just a function of information placed right in front of her. She's not the spying type to hunt me down on here.

I'm going to continue the blog for sure. I have my plans on order, so it would be just a waste of money to not do it now, right? I did not get the DVD. While I'm sure it has a lot of great information, I needed to save a few bucks somewhere and this seemed like a place I could do that. Thanks for the link on the other blog. I'll give that a read tonight.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sketch of chair

As promised, here is my VERY rough sketch of what I envision the chair ending up looking like.

photo

I essentially took an image I found online of a maple rocker, and colored it to my liking. Dark represents walnut, light represents spalted maple.

As you can see most of the chair is walnut. Rockers are laminated walnut/maple. Headrest has a center maple section, flanked by walnut. It's tough to see, but the joints at the seat will have a detail of maple. I'm also thinking of making the dowels out of maple to help tie in the second color a bit more. The back uprights extend past the headrest, and I'm thinking of curving them ever-so-slightly backward.

The most unique color feature of this chair will be the seat. I really like the dual-toned seat that Paulfromaction (sp?) showed me from his website. However, I don't want to merely copy someone else's work, but build on it (no pun intended!). The top and bottom pieces will be 0.25" walnut. The center will be mostly maple, but on the back edge, and sides, it will be ringed with a 0.5" wide piece of walnut. Before laminating, this center piece of wood will look like maple framed in walnut, but missing the front edge of the frame. The effect when complete will be a seat pan that from all angles appears to have the maple completely encased in walnut. I'm pretty excited about this feature, and think it will look nice. It will also, in my opinion, clean up the appearance of the Maloof joint between the legs and the seat allowing the thin strip of maple detail at this joint to really pop.

As always, the comments and advice is welcome!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sketch of chair

As promised, here is my VERY rough sketch of what I envision the chair ending up looking like.

photo

I essentially took an image I found online of a maple rocker, and colored it to my liking. Dark represents walnut, light represents spalted maple.

As you can see most of the chair is walnut. Rockers are laminated walnut/maple. Headrest has a center maple section, flanked by walnut. It's tough to see, but the joints at the seat will have a detail of maple. I'm also thinking of making the dowels out of maple to help tie in the second color a bit more. The back uprights extend past the headrest, and I'm thinking of curving them ever-so-slightly backward.

The most unique color feature of this chair will be the seat. I really like the dual-toned seat that Paulfromaction (sp?) showed me from his website. However, I don't want to merely copy someone else's work, but build on it (no pun intended!). The top and bottom pieces will be 0.25" walnut. The center will be mostly maple, but on the back edge, and sides, it will be ringed with a 0.5" wide piece of walnut. Before laminating, this center piece of wood will look like maple framed in walnut, but missing the front edge of the frame. The effect when complete will be a seat pan that from all angles appears to have the maple completely encased in walnut. I'm pretty excited about this feature, and think it will look nice. It will also, in my opinion, clean up the appearance of the Maloof joint between the legs and the seat allowing the thin strip of maple detail at this joint to really pop.

I forgot to mention that the back slats will keep the downward arc, while the headrest will have an upward arc. I think the opposite flow of these two lines will look nice.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Sketch of chair

photo

What a great project to take on. I like the little design features you are planning. Great start, cant wait to see some more progress.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Sketch of chair

photo

Looks like if you can keep it a secret from your "Honey" you will have one fantastic surprise! I will follow your posts!

Erwin, Jacksonville, FL

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Sketch of chair

photo

This will be fun for all of us. I think you could charge admission to the blog and pay off the lumber bill!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Sketch of chair

photo

Be sure to laminate in the proper grain direction because of wood movement, I will watch for progress reports. good luck

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sketch of chair

photo

I hadn't given much thought to laminating the back slats just yet. I know with laminates you are supposed to have 0 and 90 degree layers to keep the wood stable - but don't know exactly how to accomplish that yet with the back slats. Same goes with the rockers. Maybe there is something in the book about it. On the seat, I'll make sure to have the bottom layer at 90 degrees to the top layer. Thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Build-up, let down, and neutralize

I got home from work today and was greeted by a package. My plans came in the mail!! I was really excited and tore open the package to starting pouring over the plans and the book. First, the CNC routed backrest template came out of the box. Next, the sets of plans. I'm still a little confused about the seat portion of the plans, but the rest look about as I expected them to be. Finally, the book. Wait…..where's the CD with the book? SHOOT! Apparently the CD didn't get into the package, even though my packing list shows it on there. Well, mistakes happen and I'm a pretty patient and understanding guy. I emailed Hal, and he's going to have one in the mail for me tomorrow. Everything's set then, right? Wrong.

I live in a suburb north of Minneapolis, and my wood supplier is an hour north of Milwaukee. I'm going back to that area this weekend and I really needed the part of the book discussing lumber selection. Do I need 4/4, 6/4, 8/4, bigger?) How much do I need of each? I've seen pictures of people with their chunks of wood layed out, and was hoping to basically have a raw-wood cut list going to Milwaukee this weekend. As I obviously have payed for the plans, I'm hoping to get a short section about the wood selection emailed to me while the CD is in the mail.

So, the afternoon started great, fell significantly, then ended about neutral.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts

I got home from work today and was greeted by a package. My plans came in the mail!! I was really excited and tore open the package to starting pouring over the plans and the book. First, the CNC routed backrest template came out of the box. Next, the sets of plans. I'm still a little confused about the seat portion of the plans, but the rest look about as I expected them to be. Finally, the book. Wait…..where's the CD with the book? SHOOT! Apparently the CD didn't get into the package, even though my packing list shows it on there. Well, mistakes happen and I'm a pretty patient and understanding guy. I emailed Hal, and he's going to have one in the mail for me tomorrow. Everything's set then, right? Wrong.

I live in a suburb north of Minneapolis, and my wood supplier is an hour north of Milwaukee. I'm going back to that area this weekend and I really needed the part of the book discussing lumber selection. Do I need 4/4, 6/4, 8/4, bigger?) How much do I need of each? I've seen pictures of people with their chunks of wood layed out, and was hoping to basically have a raw-wood cut list going to Milwaukee this weekend. As I obviously have payed for the plans, I'm hoping to get a short section about the wood selection emailed to me while the CD is in the mail.

Ryan - Look for 8/4, you need around 40 board feet. Look for 6"-8" wide or 11" wide, apparently you will have more waste with the 9-10" wide boards. Sent you a pm.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts

between hal and timbo..you will be fine…it will be fine…the song goes…"dont worry be happy''..enjoy the journey….....grizzman

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Even just a few hours later things are looking much much better. Hal has been VERY responsive through emails. He reassured me that a CD is in the mail, and gave me a link to the first chapter of the book that's online. I just quickly browsed it a little and there seems to be great info there. Furthermore, Timbo pulled through for me also by condensing some of the information. I'm not worried a bit now in being able to get my wood this weekend. Even without starting the actual build yet I'm impressed with Hal!

Is it bad that I just got to work this morning, and can't wait for the end of the day so I can go home and pour through this new information? Haha!

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.