LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
19,715 Posts
I'm trying to decide if I should sell tools. Here's my thought process.
#1 I could use the Money
#2 I'm not using the tools I'm selling
#3 I need more room.
With work being slow I decided to empty my storage unit to save the rent it adds up to $ 925 a year. After thinking about it most of what I had i there is not worth that much. So now i get to find a place for this stuff on my lot, that's on the small side anyhow. OK that done I still have tools and equipment that have to go inside. It's already pretty tight in there. Next I'll look around and see if there are things I don't use that much. That's good but then I have to be honest and I come up with a long list .Each item I haven't never used or used once.Ok it's sale time. The list ( http://roseburg.craigslist.org/tls/1809278112.html . )
Oh well if I didn't use them that much before I won't need them ?or will I ?....It's always the tool you sell you need the next day. It's the revenge of the tools by the tools . LOL

If you live close buy it's a great time to stop by and say hi, and of course buy lots of tools :))

· Registered
1,331 Posts
As someone too far away to take advantage of your largesse, just count me in as a supporter of selling. When we moved into our current place, we looked around and realized that our house just cost us $500/square foot (a bit of a fudge, that was "price / house square feet") and thought: It's a small house, space is valuable, our lifestyle should reflect that.

Got rid of, and are still getting rid of, a whole lot of "some day" projects, in favor of "now".

· Registered
9,848 Posts
Hey Jim
You are selling allot of stuff.
If you do not want people stopping by before the sale I'd remove your address from the Craigslist ad.
Regards
DAN

· In Loving Memory
3,873 Posts
Sorry, but I've got all the tools I need (except for a 16" jointer, Donations welcome :))

· Registered
3,011 Posts
I have just sold off some major pieces .. RAS and Chisel Morticer.. things I do not use… still have a 9 " jointer and a spindle molter sitting outside under cover… anyone local wants them come and get them…

· Registered
3,315 Posts
Hi Jim;

That's quite a list. Fuuny how we accumulate a bunch of stuff! Stuff we're sure we'll be needing.

I have a similar problem. With the construction business, I needed to fully equip several large jobs at a time. Now, I have three or more of all kinds of stuff. The only thing I don't have is the work to keep them busy. (nor do I want to any longer). I must be getting old.

Good luck.

Lee

· Registered
9,309 Posts
don't blame you , jim .
i got stuff here i been storing for 20 years ,
i don't even know what it is anymore ,
i'm ready to just take it to the dump ,
if i go thru it , it will take me a month to do it .
i haven't used any of it in all this time ,
what will i do if i find something ,
put it in a box and let it sit for another 20 years ?

· Registered
1,190 Posts
Jim, I did the same thing last year and it's funny, I haven't missed one thing I sold. I accumalated tools for over 20 years and thought I couldn't get rid of anything. Because of ecomony and needing to down size, I bit the bullet and decided to sell some of the tools I hadn't used for a couple years. I geared back, went to a smaller shop, and business is better then ever. I have much more room, lower overhead and business has been good this year. (hope it continues!). Years of buying tools that I thought I just had to have, but the truth of the matter is, I kept the tools necessary to run my business with the type woodworking I'm doing and the rest was just excess. Good luck with your sale and I'm sure you'll have good results.

· Registered
744 Posts
Since I have such a small 1 car garage for a shop, about once a year, I will do an inventory and get rid of tools that I do not use regularly. I hope you get very good prices for your stuff.

· Registered
411 Posts
Hey Jim it's a sad day when we start getting rid of stuff I know but I keep looking at my overstuffed workshop that I keep adding to & think it's time to go into reverse. I'm only 58 but I keep thinking it's going to give the people I love a nightmare trying to sort it out & sell or throw away valuable stuff when I'm gone. Most of it won't mean a thing to them, you've inspired me to look more closely why do I need 12 routers?
Hope you do well my friend & I hope it doesn't restrict your wood working too much
God bless
Trevor

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.