LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How far I got in class

I took Roy Underhill's hand tool only class on making a tool chest. It was a wonderful class and I learned a great deal. I highly recommend his classes. We learned about many hand tools and built a dovetailed tool chest. In class I finished the chest and only had to assemble it at home because it had to ship knocked down. The lid I am fitting together and should glue it tomorrow night.

This is a picture of fitting the first section of skirt on to the top portion of the side.

This is the chest with the skirt and bottom attached.

This is a close up of the hand cut dovetails with out any wedges. Roy and his assistant Bill are great teachers because I did not have this skill when I came to class.

·
Registered
237 Posts
How far I got in class

I took Roy Underhill's hand tool only class on making a tool chest. It was a wonderful class and I learned a great deal. I highly recommend his classes. We learned about many hand tools and built a dovetailed tool chest. In class I finished the chest and only had to assemble it at home because it had to ship knocked down. The lid I am fitting together and should glue it tomorrow night.

This is a picture of fitting the first section of skirt on to the top portion of the side.

This is a close up of the hand cut dovetails with out any wedges. Roy and his assistant Bill are great teachers because I did not have this skill when I came to class.
Wow. Great work. I'm envious that you got a chance to work with Roy.

·
Registered
14,504 Posts
How far I got in class

Looks very impressive, I'm sure you learnt a lot in his class.

·
Registered
85 Posts
How far I got in class

I look forward to seeing this come together - you've done a great job with the main case - it's goodto see that you enjoyed the class.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
How far I got in class

Hi Rob,

Great job on this.

I bet that was a fun class.

Lee

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
How far I got in class

Wow, what a great opportunity for you. I'm jealous, but am really glad for you.
Your work is looking good.

Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How far I got in class

Thank you for your kind comments. Roy is just as enthusiastic and interesting as he is on his shows. He has a wonderful shop with a very complete set of hand tools. He has ten + of all the common tools.

·
In Loving Memory
17,103 Posts
How far I got in class

Really good job on those dovetails Rob. I hope you post it when finished. I sure envy you that Veritas Jack plane.

13,555 Posts
How far I got in class

Nice start on the tool chest.

·
Registered
287 Posts
How far I got in class

great work. there is something special about having handcut dovetails on a project like this. the slight inperfections add to the personal nature of the piece.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How far I got in class

It makes the piece really yours. More personal some how. Thanks for stopping by.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
How far I got in class

great work!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fitting the lid

Fitting the lid is taking a lot longer than I thought. I had to trim the sides to length freehand as I don't have a miter box. The grooves on the sided required trimming and deepening. Deepening the grooves was with a mortising chisel as I don't have a plow plane.

These pictures how the groove in the frame fits into the groove in the panel and the halves of the mitered bridle joint go together to make the lid. The antique clamp was my Dad's.

Shows the groove in the lid and the mitered bridle joint. Roy gave me a lot of help with these!!!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Top is finished

Here is the lid after glue up. Turned ot well. Thanks Roy!!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Shaping and adding Spacers to the Handles

Roy (Underhill) had the basic shape of the handles turned for us by a local chair maker. I shaped mine and added a spacer so I could get my stubbie fingers around the grip. I put a thread insert on the back side of the spacer to aid in mountng them to the chest.

i

This picture shows the profile I came up with.

·
Registered
118,619 Posts

Roy (Underhill) had the basic shape of the handles turned for us by a local chair maker. I shaped mine and added a spacer so I could get my stubbie fingers around the grip. I put a thread insert on the back side of the spacer to aid in mountng them to the chest.

i

Looks good Rob. good ole Roy

·
Registered
31 Posts

i

Looks very nice, I'm sure Roy's class was both a joy and very educational.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lid on and rejected as a blanket chest

Well I finally got the lid back together. My better half thought it looked too good to stay in the garage, but after checking it out in the bed room, it is too small for the foot of the bed. Close call.

As I was mortising the hinges, I dropped the lid onto a front corner. Popped one of the mitered bridle joints. I thought I had clamped the frame to tightly onto the panel but the fit is ok. Reglued the joint, doweled it from underneath. Fit is good and looks ak. It is a tool chest, not fine furniture. I am very pleased wit how it turned out. I learned so much. Thank You Roy Underhill for having such a great school!!

This shows the back with the lid support attached with cut nails. (Trying to stay in period)

Thank you for looking.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.