LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a start

The whole reason I joined Lumberjocks was because I wanted to get some information about the Thorsen Table Challenge. After spending countless hours here I decided I better at least attempt a table.

SWMBO said that I could only build a table if the wood choice matched the bedroom furniture (The Wife's Dresser). So sorry Obi, but it is going to be made out of pine. I decided to add some Cedar for a contrasting wood

Just to do something different I went with a brick laid pattern.

This is the top glued up and the bread board ends attached, along with the aprons and a few other pieces.

Unfortunately as a school teacher I have to start getting my students ready for the end of year testing. That's going to take up a lot of my time for the next couple weeks, so I don't know how much more I'll get done for awhile.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
It's a start

The whole reason I joined Lumberjocks was because I wanted to get some information about the Thorsen Table Challenge. After spending countless hours here I decided I better at least attempt a table.

SWMBO said that I could only build a table if the wood choice matched the bedroom furniture (The Wife's Dresser). So sorry Obi, but it is going to be made out of pine. I decided to add some Cedar for a contrasting wood

This is the top glued up and the bread board ends attached, along with the aprons and a few other pieces.

Unfortunately as a school teacher I have to start getting my students ready for the end of year testing. That's going to take up a lot of my time for the next couple weeks, so I don't know how much more I'll get done for awhile.
Pine or not… Looks good

·
Registered
35,383 Posts
It's a start

Looking good, Make the students pay for causing you to miss out on all of the good stuff.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
It's a start

Glad to have you in the challenge. Looking good.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
It's a start

Thank for entering the race. I think you should make it on time. About 5 weeks yet. I like the brick parquet.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a start

Thanks for the kind comments.

You know Karson some days I almost (ALMOST) wish they would let us use corpral punishment in schools.

Oh well, that's what having a shop is for right. To help relax and unwind.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the next entry

Well, the state mandated testing is over, so now I have a little more time on my hands. I have been working on the table. As of right now the legs are sized as are the approns. Currently I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate a hidden drawer. It is giving me a harder time than it should.

I also have to figure out what I'm going to do for the shelf. As I was at my parents house last weekend delivering my dad's table (which he loved it by the way) I was helping in his shop. In the scrap bin I found these:

So now I have to decide which will work best, the shelf I've already started on and is almost finished or one of the above boards.

·
Registered
35,383 Posts
the next entry

Well, the state mandated testing is over, so now I have a little more time on my hands. I have been working on the table. As of right now the legs are sized as are the approns. Currently I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate a hidden drawer. It is giving me a harder time than it should.

I also have to figure out what I'm going to do for the shelf. As I was at my parents house last weekend delivering my dad's table (which he loved it by the way) I was helping in his shop. In the scrap bin I found these:

So now I have to decide which will work best, the shelf I've already started on and is almost finished or one of the above boards.
So what is the wood that is in these boards. They almost look like Aromatic Cedar.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
the next entry

Great looking wood to make a Thorsen table from. Looking to see more.

·
Registered
18,890 Posts
the next entry

woo hoo. This is going to be beautiful

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the next entry

Karson you've got a good eye. The story behind it (I'm told) is that my dad mentioned to my uncle he was building cedar chests. Well my uncle said there's plent of cedar trees on my ranch cut down as many as you can. (Cedar sucks up a lot of water, so ranchers don't like them). So my dad went up with his chainsaw and the rest is history

I was told by my wife, that "I" want to stick with the original shelf. I'll have to find another use for this Cedar.

·
Registered
18,890 Posts
the next entry

lol well I'm glad to hear that you realized what "you" wanted to do prior to wasting your time building it according to your first thoughts haha

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.