LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 276 Posts

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting a start

Well I finally got started on the project today.

I dug out some Black Ash boards, & ripped , & planed 4 legs to thickness. Then I dug out some Black Walnut for the table top & aprons, & set it aside until tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Getting a start

I dug out some Black Ash boards, & ripped , & planed 4 legs to thickness. Then I dug out some Black Walnut for the table top & aprons, & set it aside until tomorrow.

Another tease! Where's the photos? I don't think I've seen black ash before - at least not knowingly.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Getting a start

I'll take some tomorrow. When I went out to my shop today, I wasn't planning on doing anything, just look for boards.
Look at the clocks I made. The Granddaughters Curio Clock, & the Black Ash & Walnut Clock.

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
Getting a start

OK, I have to admit I am unfamiliar with the term black ash. Help me here.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Getting a start

I stand corrected, nice wood combination. I loved the curio clock when you posted it, and I still do!

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Getting a start

Black Ash grows on wetlands in northern MN. The wood isn't black, so I don't know why they call it that.
It's the last tree to get its leaves in the spring, & the first to lose them.
You can see how the 2 woods go together on this clock.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Getting a start

I'm glad to hear that you've begun the process, Dick. That is some great looking wood. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures, tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Getting a start

Your first reply was longer than your blog…what no photos…NO VIDEO…NOT EVEN A SCRATCH AND SNIFF!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Getting a start

Dick, I can't wait to see the contrast in the wood colors and where you use them.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Getting a start

Ok, so who is building a Thorsen table out of Sassafrass anyway? I thought someone was thinking of it. I bet we get one of cedar as well.

Any other scented woods ?

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Getting a start

I layed off of my table for a few days, & came up with some fresh ideas. Now i'm going out to My Cave, & make some noise.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Getting a start

I am still in the drawing phase, and looking to see what lumber I have available.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Take a Little Peek.

I took a couple of days off, but it helped me come up with some fresh ideas.

I went out to my shop this afternoon, & made a couple of Templates, one for the aprons, & one for the stretchers.

Now I'm all set to make parts on the router table

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Take a Little Peek.

I went out to my shop this afternoon, & made a couple of Templates, one for the aprons, & one for the stretchers.

ooh, an industrial looking table ;)

·
In Loving Memory
1,494 Posts
Take a Little Peek.

Hi Dick;
--is this the start of a massive advertising campaign, before the production wheels start rolling out there in the heartland?....!!!
GODSPEED,
Frank

·
Registered
18,890 Posts
Take a Little Peek.

you crack me up, Dennis! lol

Dick, this is a great tease and I can't wait to see more

1 - 20 of 276 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.