LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Wood and Design

Well after anouncing yesterday I was going to enter this Challenge I figured I better get started.

I went into my shop this morning to decide what wood I should use. I found some popular,cherry and oak. I also had some black walnut logs but not near enough.

So I went to my old barn to see what was there. I had plenty of old timbers and planks from a barn I tore down and saved. I also had some old tounge and groove flooring that came out of that bard.

I took a piece to my planner and ran it thru. I really like what I saw so I planned enough to probly make three tables.

That was the easy part now for the design. I have studied the pics on this site as well as the original. And have come up with a few things to make it my own. Tho I wonder should it look more like the original are the one posted on this site.

I guess I better get started cutting some boards and glueing them up . Lots of work to do. The final design will come to me as I work as it allways does.(I hope)

Good Luck Everyone
John

I posted a pic of boards in the project section

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
The Wood and Design

Well after anouncing yesterday I was going to enter this Challenge I figured I better get started.

I went into my shop this morning to decide what wood I should use. I found some popular,cherry and oak. I also had some black walnut logs but not near enough.

So I went to my old barn to see what was there. I had plenty of old timbers and planks from a barn I tore down and saved. I also had some old tounge and groove flooring that came out of that bard.

I took a piece to my planner and ran it thru. I really like what I saw so I planned enough to probly make three tables.

That was the easy part now for the design. I have studied the pics on this site as well as the original. And have come up with a few things to make it my own. Tho I wonder should it look more like the original are the one posted on this site.

I guess I better get started cutting some boards and glueing them up . Lots of work to do. The final design will come to me as I work as it allways does.(I hope)

Good Luck Everyone
John

That's a true Lumberjock… I'll cut it to fit the picture in my mind

·
Registered
35,383 Posts
The Wood and Design

Good Luck Everyone
John

Well Shack You've got all kinds of wood there you could match and mis-match.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
The Wood and Design

Good Luck Everyone
John

Sounds like a great start Shack.

·
Registered
18,890 Posts
The Wood and Design

Good Luck Everyone
John

just listen to the wood-it will tell you how to build the table

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
The Wood and Design

Good Luck Everyone
John

Just start slapping it together, times a wasting!

·
In Loving Memory
1,494 Posts
The Wood and Design

Good Luck Everyone
John

Hi Shack;
--well I'm glad to meet another 'old barn' woodworker!

Wow, and then I read about the barn you tore down and the timbers and planks you saved,....Ha!--'barn again timbers and planking'. What type of barn do you have?

I'm sure your table will be a success, as you work the wood and the design comes forth in the process.

GODSPEED,
Frank

·
Registered
777 Posts
The Wood and Design

Good Luck Everyone
John

John,

I had similar thoughts as you. I spent some time carefully examining pictures of the original Thorsen table, and not the David Thiel interpretation, I noticed several differences. I'm much more partial to the original - the proportions seem more appealing to me. And it is a minor difference, but… if you look at the ebony plugs in the legs on the original, you'll see there is definitely a "flow" from the two plugs in the front to the two plugs on the side of each leg. If you look at David's table, I don't quite get that "flow"; they are laid out more like a grouping of two plugs than a grouping of four plugs. Again, it's just a matter of making sure you have a pleasing layout.

So I think I'll be studying the original table a little more than the copy, for however little that might matter in the end.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
The Wood and Design

Good Luck Everyone
John

I'm really looking forward to the end results. It doesn't matter who wins, but this seems to be bringing out the best in all of us. Not so much a competition with each other, but a competition within ourselves… to see the table, and then add a few individual things to it.

I'm blessed to be part of this whole thing.

·
Registered
18,890 Posts
The Wood and Design

Good Luck Everyone
John

I had forgotten that there was a competition element to this.
For me, it's definitely challenging me - my vision, my designing, my skills, my patience, ,,,

·
Registered
35,383 Posts
The Wood and Design

Good Luck Everyone
John

Now you see what I was trying to do. Get our creative juices flowing but using the same starting point.

We are beginning to find our own way, and not fee likel we have to be better than someone else. But to be able to create what we envision.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
The Wood and Design

Good Luck Everyone
John

It's to bad that Popular Woodworking Magazine doesn't put all of them in as a side article.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Wood and Design

Good Luck Everyone
John

Quote Obi: I'm really looking forward to the end results. It doesn't matter who wins, but this seems to be bringing out the best in all of us. Not so much a competition with each other, but a competition within ourselves… to see the table, and then add a few individual things to it.

I'm blessed to be part of this whole thing.

Obi I could not have said that any better. I checked this site from time to time and the camaraderie here is why I decided to join and enter this challenge.

Thank you all for such a great place.

·
Registered
18,890 Posts
The Wood and Design

Good Luck Everyone
John

i was telling a friend about the people here-I just couldn't find the words that would do the group justice.
The most amazing, generous, compassionate, supportive, spiritual people you'd ever want to meet.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cutting and Dryfitting

Well I finished running my wood thru my planer yeasterday and started glueing it up. I have enough material ready to make about 3 or 4 of these tables.

Today I started cutting out the pieces and glueing up some more stock. I was able to dry fit the base for one table. I thought I had figured out how I was gonna dress them up. But as I was working several Ideals came to me so I have not decided which way I will use. I may do more than one and emblish them differently.

Tomorrow I will try a few things see what I like best. I posted a pic of my progress in the projects section.

Have fun and work safe.

John

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Cutting and Dryfitting

Well I finished running my wood thru my planer yeasterday and started glueing it up. I have enough material ready to make about 3 or 4 of these tables.

Today I started cutting out the pieces and glueing up some more stock. I was able to dry fit the base for one table. I thought I had figured out how I was gonna dress them up. But as I was working several Ideals came to me so I have not decided which way I will use. I may do more than one and emblish them differently.

Tomorrow I will try a few things see what I like best. I posted a pic of my progress in the projects section.

Have fun and work safe.

John
good luck

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pre-Finish

Well all I need to do now is mount the top and do some final sanding. Then its time to apply the finish. I think I am going to use a semi gloss poly. I will spray several coats with my HVLP sprayer.

I used old pine and mahogany as my woods. The strechers and edges of the top are mahogany as well as the diamonds I added to the aprons. I started to inlay the diamonds but decided that being raised would look good. I think just a clear finish will really highlight the natural colors of the wood.

In this challenge I tried not change things too much. I wanted to make subtle changes and just give it a little of my style. I have some more lumber ready to make a few more of the tables and plan to make them all a little different.

I have posted a picture in the projects section to show my progress.

Looking forward to seeing others entrys.

Have fun and be safe.

John

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thorsen Table finished

Well I hate to see this come to an end. This was a fun little project to build. I tried to keep it simple yet add a touch of me to it. I guess we all do that in everything we build. I am giving this table to my mother I hope she enjoys it as much as I did making it.

I have not been on this site long but I am glad I found it. The people here are all so friendly and willing to share their wealth of knowledge.

I know this was a challenge but its refreshing not to have the cut throat competition that we see every where else today. Its not about winning its about having fun doing what we love to do. And sharing ideas.

I want to take this time to wish everyone the best of luck and congradulate the winner. But in saying that from what I have seen here we are all winners.

Thank you all
Have fun and work safe.

John Shackleford

There is a picture of my finished table in the project section.

·
Registered
35,383 Posts
Thorsen Table finished

Well I hate to see this come to an end. This was a fun little project to build. I tried to keep it simple yet add a touch of me to it. I guess we all do that in everything we build. I am giving this table to my mother I hope she enjoys it as much as I did making it.

I have not been on this site long but I am glad I found it. The people here are all so friendly and willing to share their wealth of knowledge.

I know this was a challenge but its refreshing not to have the cut throat competition that we see every where else today. Its not about winning its about having fun doing what we love to do. And sharing ideas.

I want to take this time to wish everyone the best of luck and congradulate the winner. But in saying that from what I have seen here we are all winners.

Thank you all
Have fun and work safe.

John Shackleford

Congratulation on completing Shack.

·
Registered
18,890 Posts
Thorsen Table finished

Thank you all
Have fun and work safe.

John Shackleford

I know that your Mom will love this (and not only because she is your Mom!)

Isn't this the greatest "home away from home"? The people here are amazing. One big family with lots of sibling "teasing", family support, and teacher guidance.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.