Looks like my layout…..day 1
And so.. my personal Thien Baffle challenge begins.
1/2" MDF (i have 2 of these 4×8' sheets..might as well use them). First time ever working on MDF with a power tool. To date… MDF 1, Eric 0 for dust control.
This baffle will sit on top of a 55 gallon plastic drum, be 12" high (to allow more separation and swirling action), and same as many other Thien Baffles out there with a couple differences:
1.) I used a 45 degree chamfer bit on the outer lip to give falling particles no gap space against the 1/16" lexan I'll be installing. This has increased my gap space another 1/2" from the desired 1 1/8" cut out end result (right now, the cut out is 2 1/8" because I'll be laminating 1/8" hardboard on top of the MDF to extend 1" into cutout area). Shall see how this messes anything up.
2.) routed a 1/16" wide 1/8" deep slot at the top of the chamfer for the 1/16" lexan. Made it all the way around and was pulling it backwards to blow out the dust inside the groove and the tip of the bit broke. Darn it.
I am thankful to have picked up a MicroFence edge guide with circle jig at an auction for $20 will everything intact, as this thing is a wonderful perfect router circle jig and with the help of a hand clamp a wonderful circle jig marker as well.
I used some of the inexpensive orange box pine faced finish plywood for mine. At first I thought your slot was too big, but then read that you were covering with 1" hardboard. Should work good.
I routed a groove on the bottom to match the diameter of the barrel and as it has a rolled edge, a cove bit makes a nice fit.
One other thought. I screwed the walls to the vertical supports. I didn't want the suction to implode the walls. No problem so far.