LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Floor Plan and Tool Placement

Right now I am trying to turn my work room (the garage) into a well organized, flow conscious workshop. I have been focusing on turning, but my first love is furniture design and making. I finally got some more machinery, and careful planning is a necessity. Up to now I have been using movable tables (that is, 2'x2' pieces of OSB). I pile them up with all my turning tools and accessories, and nothing has a proper place. Right now everything is strewn about haphazard, and I don't have any storage.

So as the journey begins, I will start with the floor plan. I have yet to run the electrical, so please feel free to give any input on the strength and weaknesses of what I have laid out so far.

Machinery:

10" Rockwell Unisaw (3 phase)
14" Rockwell RAS (3 phase)
8" Rockwell Jointer (3 phase)
Makita 15" Planer
Delta 14" Bandsaw
Buffalo 16" Drill Press
Rollstone Machine Co. Pattermaker's Lathe
NOVA 1622-44 Lathe

My shop space is 19.5' wide x 21' long. I have played around for HOURS with many different layouts. Here's my favorite.

Thanks for looking,

Hutch

·
Registered
118,619 Posts

Right now I am trying to turn my work room (the garage) into a well organized, flow conscious workshop. I have been focusing on turning, but my first love is furniture design and making. I finally got some more machinery, and careful planning is a necessity. Up to now I have been using movable tables (that is, 2'x2' pieces of OSB). I pile them up with all my turning tools and accessories, and nothing has a proper place. Right now everything is strewn about haphazard, and I don't have any storage.

So as the journey begins, I will start with the floor plan. I have yet to run the electrical, so please feel free to give any input on the strength and weaknesses of what I have laid out so far.

Machinery:

Makita 15" Planer
Delta 14" Bandsaw
Buffalo 16" Drill Press
NOVA 1622-44 Lathe

My shop space is 19.5' wide x 21' long. I have played around for HOURS with many different layouts. Here's my favorite.

Thanks for looking,

Hutch
Sounds like a plan how about some photos when you've got it worked out.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Machinery:

Makita 15" Planer
Delta 14" Bandsaw
Buffalo 16" Drill Press
NOVA 1622-44 Lathe

Thanks for looking,

Hutch
I'm in the process of getting a new shop also and I've been using sketchup to work on the layout.

I've found that Sketchup has loads of tool models. Some are exact models, some are close enough. Others, I just had to create a box with the proper dimensions.

Good for a rough idea before I start humping tools around the shop.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.