LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
surprise wood pile find

I set aside this log earlier in the season. I knew that deep down inside it was going to have an interesting grain pattern. I could see how this piece of oak had almost a swirly grain, as if the tree grew under enormous pressure.

I screwed this to a piece of 1x and ran it (safely) through the tablesaw. Oh, what beauty to find within!

a second pass to take a peek at the long grain

The final piece of "S4S" is approx 15.5×3 x 1.5. Managed to cut this with very little waste despite some twist!

I think this will make some very nice looking pens, or an interesting (albeit small) box.

·
Registered
14,500 Posts
surprise wood pile find

I set aside this log earlier in the season. I knew that deep down inside it was going to have an interesting grain pattern. I could see how this piece of oak had almost a swirly grain, as if the tree grew under enormous pressure.

I screwed this to a piece of 1x and ran it (safely) through the tablesaw. Oh, what beauty to find within!

The final piece of "S4S" is approx 15.5×3 x 1.5. Managed to cut this with very little waste despite some twist!

I think this will make some very nice looking pens, or an interesting (albeit small) box.
Wonderful find. I love using found wood. I got some advise from Frank today on the tools needed to work with Green wood. I'm hoping to find some local wood and set it aside to dry.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
surprise wood pile find

A couple more of those and you can get to work on your Thorsen table. It would also make some nice screwdriver handles.

·
Registered
35,383 Posts
surprise wood pile find

Great looking wood.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
surprise wood pile find

I may take a free day this week to ransack my father-in-laws pile. If I got this log from him, there could be more! (presuming they aren't already converted to heat for the last time).

I wish the photos could show the shimmer on the sides of this oak. It's really pretty.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
surprise wood pile find

What A find!

·
In Loving Memory
1,494 Posts
surprise wood pile find

Hi Scott;
Those grain patterns in that 3rd photo are really great!
When one starts to understand the woodpile, that woodpile will never look the same again.

Thanks for sharing your find and may the wood gods be smiling on you as you look for more….
GODSPEED,
Frank

·
Registered
18,890 Posts
surprise wood pile find

.. and then it is: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO you can't burn that!!!!"

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
surprise wood pile find

That is "Grooovy", man!

·
Registered
429 Posts
surprise wood pile find

I mentioned this in your other post… my buddy (who's wife had a new little one yesterday) found a stump at the LDS temple grounds in St. George Utah for a walnut that was slow growth due to the heat… he told the grounds keeper that he had burned up an $80,000 tree and the guy did not believe him… (If I were him I would not even look into it for fear it was true).

Drew

·
Registered
11,304 Posts
surprise wood pile find

Great save Scott. Good to see it being used, too.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Saving Stock for the Winter

It's quickly becoming my favorite time of year. The gardens and farmers markets are overflowing with their bounty, almost everything is fresh and in season, the days are becoming comfortable - not yet crisp, but not too hot. Time to preserve and make preparations for the winter.

The freezer down in the basement (shop) is almost completely stocked with goodness to keep me going well into next year!

I promised "more about this later" during my shop tour... so here it is.

I've read somewhere that it's a good idea to freeze wood to make sure you keep any nasty foreign bugs away. Of course this pertained to imported handicrafts, but it still makes sense to me - especially where I have a lot of found and scavenged wood, as well as nearly half a fridge full of goodies from Texas (thanks Rob and BSB!) where admittedly there were Texas sized critters eyeballing my wares.

Shortly, I'll be clearing out this lot, to put down some real food, (but that's another blog) For now, that's a ton (ok, literally 65 pounds) of Red Eucalyptus on the top shelf,

Ebony logs below, with a little Osage Orange and Juniper. All from TX. Below that is some local (NH) oak, maple and cherry rescued from the firewood pile. The door is filled up with Mesquite, pen blanks and such.

Oh what to do with it all???

·
Registered
18,890 Posts

It's quickly becoming my favorite time of year. The gardens and farmers markets are overflowing with their bounty, almost everything is fresh and in season, the days are becoming comfortable - not yet crisp, but not too hot. Time to preserve and make preparations for the winter.

The freezer down in the basement (shop) is almost completely stocked with goodness to keep me going well into next year!

I've read somewhere that it's a good idea to freeze wood to make sure you keep any nasty foreign bugs away. Of course this pertained to imported handicrafts, but it still makes sense to me - especially where I have a lot of found and scavenged wood, as well as nearly half a fridge full of goodies from Texas (thanks Rob and BSB!) where admittedly there were Texas sized critters eyeballing my wares.

Shortly, I'll be clearing out this lot, to put down some real food, (but that's another blog) For now, that's a ton (ok, literally 65 pounds) of Red Eucalyptus on the top shelf,

Ebony logs below, with a little Osage Orange and Juniper. All from TX. Below that is some local (NH) oak, maple and cherry rescued from the firewood pile. The door is filled up with Mesquite, pen blanks and such.

you tease!! :)

I wonder if the bugs hibernate and wait for warmer weather?

·
Registered
1,858 Posts

Yummy….I like my osage orange with a little chipotle bbq sauce on the grill.

Seriously though….nice stash.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

mmmm, smoked over meqsuite, with a cherry/maple/juniper remoulade!

·
Registered
35,383 Posts

You guys are making me hungry. I haven't had my smoked meat since I left KC last week. Time to fire up the smoker.

·
Registered
14,500 Posts

Tri-Tip would be good….

·
Registered
4,119 Posts

Karson, Did you eat at Gates & Sons, K.C. Masterpiece or Arthur Bryant's BBQ in KC?

Now I'm hungry too. I'll have a short end of Gates Ribs and some of your rémoulade, Scott (please, double steam bent and thinly julienned).

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Double steam bent, you got it…

With the applewood chips, or walnut bits?

·
Registered
661 Posts

Scott, that looks like a rank of fun in that there frig!!!! LOL! It looks to me like the problem here is what to start on first.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.