LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
21 - 40 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Its a funny thing about work benches (I am on my 6th version). It is an evolution with many revisions. So far, nothing has survived though the process, the current legs and their bolts have lived the most - 4 versions .

Someday, when I get the space, I expect to have 3-4 benches for different jobs. There is no "one" bench that does it all unless it is 12' long - maybe 18'. Hmm, which part will have drawers, how many vises, here we go again--

Dude - lets face it, for the non production workshop, there are so many "dream" options out there, what fits to your style of work is very unique, and it changes as much as you do.

In my "dream" bench, I want small drawers, some large drawers, a pull out tray for scraps, metal vise, a couple of wood vises, tail vise, holes for dogs, oh so many options - I want them all. Will I get it? Who knows.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I asked bob lang for a photo of his bench he has not even replied it has been a week so the only photo i have seen is mikes and it is backwards for me I have also decided to make my top 4 inches thick insted of three it will add some mass to the bench i dont want it to be too light

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
I love looking at nice benches. They are artwork in their own right.
As for me though, I don't want one.
I work on an old table I picked up from the curb in someone's garbage. I took it home to my shop and throwed two pieces of particle board on it. When that wore out, I put some more on top of that. I'll be adding to that soon, as the second layer is getting pretty bad. I like it though that it is crap.
On my "workbench", I abuse the hell out of it. For that reason, if I built a nice bench, I would never abuse it the way I do my old garbage found work table. I hammer on it. Paint on it. Write measurements on it. Sand those off and mark more measurements on it. I drill holes right in the middle of it and clamp stuff to it. I mean I really abuse that thing. If it ever truly tears up beyond repair, I'll start looking on the side of roads for another one to use.

In the meantime, as I said, I love looking at benches. So I wanted to join this thread so I can admire all of ya'll's benches.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Well, here is my bench. I'm not done with it, but you'll get the idea. I promise you've never seen another one like it. I used some ideas from other benches and just made a lot of it up. I know it is ugly, but I built it out of used furniture. Most of it was even free.

Table Wood Cabinetry Wood stain Workbench

It is made of parts from three desks, a bookcase, an oak day bed, an old pine water bed frame, and some 2×4's. The main part of the bench only took a couple of days to put together.

Wood Hardwood Wood stain Varnish Rectangle

It's still ugly but it's getting there.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
33,602 Posts
The starting point????
Wood Table Floor Gas Composite material

Found an old "Bodkin Point" style arrow head in one of these. End grain shot, anyone??
Wood Road surface Rectangle Art Tints and shades

Pole Barn's owner just re-decked his trailer with NEW 2×12s, and left the old ones in the barn. Maybe i could talk him out of some to make a top????

Attachments

·
Registered
698 Posts
The top is 4 inches thick, and it has lots of storage. I used Super strut from HD as my t-tracks. I used almost 70 feet of it so far. It works better than that stuff from Rockler, and only costs $1.50 a foot. I made T-bars out of oak 1×2's and knobs so I can attach anything I want to them. Also, 1/4×1-1/4 flat bars and 1-1/4" patio door rollers fit nicely.

Wood Hardwood Wood stain Flooring Varnish

I plan to make a lot of accessories, to work with the tracks. I just finished the leg vise. It's not perfect, but it works pretty well.

Wood Cabinetry Wood stain Drawer Floor

Attachments

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
welcome to the new posters. I am happy you have joined me and those that are posting. I do hope that every one has a dream bench and will try to post photos and plans.As well as any links to great workbench stuff on here. Only with your help will this thread last and be fun to read, for all of you who choose to hang out. I hope you choose to contribute and to post. Not only the benches you own but the ones you covet as well.

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
DUUUUDE!
Ok, seriously.
You mentioned in your last post that "for all of you who choose to hang out. I hope you choose to contribute and to post"Does that really mean we can hang out here without making anyone mad?
You can check this thread out to see what I mean.
We go way off topic.
We "hang out" on a nightly basis for the most part.
We don't stick to the rules, again, for the most part.

If this is a problem, I will refrain from posting off topic here.
However, I have a good time on the other thread and I think I would enjoy doing the same a couple of other threads in order as well. Different threads may wind up with different groups of guys.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I want to try to keep a general theme here but as we get to know each-other off topic posts will happen and i don't have a problem with that If any one does then i am sorry

That is a great bench big feet I really like the shaker style it has a clean look and must have been pricy to build I would think . What was the final bill on the build my friend I bet here it would go ove 2k to build that where are you from 2 big feet and what kind of wood did you use

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Randy I am sorry i missed your bench and just saw it I must be lagging I think it looks great considering your source material and I would not hesitate to beat the hell out of something ion that bench it looks good and solid .

Bandit are you going to leave them like that or are you going to plane them down the rustic look does something for me I would love to see it made with out being planed and the other hand that could be some great wood underneath I cant wait for more people to chime in on this thread .

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I want you all to check out the build on 2bigfeets bench it is really cool and well captured believe me I know how hard it is to get that done and he did a very good job I was curious about the bench top is it made of laminated plywood ?

·
Registered
68 Posts
thedude50

Thanks. Most of the material was left over scrap from other cabinet work. The top is LVL which I ripped into strips, turned edge side up and laminated. You can find out more about by googling "LVL bench", then click on images.

The only things I really paid for was the Moxon vise screw kit, the leg vise screw from Lee Valley and some maple for the edges and vises. So I probably have a few hundred dollars into it.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Thanks Dude. It is actually looking a lot better than I expected. It is solid, too. Most of the stuff came from a thrift store, three blocks from my house. The drawer boxes on the right are the ugliest part, but they are very well built. The drawer fronts are MDF and faded formica, but they are dove-tailed to solid oak boxes, with thick bottoms. The whole desk was free, I had to take it. It also had a 3' x 6' MDF top that was 1-1/4" thick and already covered with formica. The cabinet on the left came from a much better quality desk. The MDF is so dense that it almost looks like solid wood. It was all covered with black Walnut veneer that is 1/8" thick. I was actually able to resaw the veneer off of some smaller pieces on a table saw, and glue it to something else. Try that with that .03" thick crap from rockler. The drawer box from it will make a great filing cabinet when I get around to making a top to match my computer deck. I refinished the 2' x 5' top from it, and it looks so good that I'll have to build a nice cabinet to go under it, and find it a place in the house. This desk was only $30. The top surface is from another $30 desk with oak veneer. It came out so pretty, when I sanded it down and refinished it, that I still shed a little tear when I leave another scratch on it. Anyway this workbench, and the rest of my shop, is basically a way to use up some of the junk I keep collecting, and shut the wife up. I built her some stuff out of other pieces, but that is another story.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have just completed a new bench. This is built in the Roubo style with leg vise and wagon tail vise.

It is not yet complete in this picture ….

See the full build thread, with several chapters, which is to be found at this index (follow to lower end of the index list) ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/index.html

Derek

·
Premium Member
33,602 Posts
Dude50: TOO MANY bleeding nails to risk a plane on the wood. I'll saw a few tenons , and slap something together. OLD Barn wood. Not set up for a vise as yet. I MIGHT check out a local re-bar supplier here in town, and see IF they could "all-thread" a #12 bar into a vise screw. I can take it from there. I used to work with rebar, and anchor bolts everyday, doing concrete work. They have a way to add threads to a rebar to fit a nut/washer.

·
Registered
17,881 Posts
Derek, that is absolutely stunning. But then, I've been admiring your work and blogs for years so it's not surprise to me that such a bench would come from your shop. Outstanding, and thanks for sharing your passion.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
Derek Cohen

Man!

Those Dovetails are just awesome!

I LOVE them!!

Nice bench!

Great work!

21 - 40 of 111 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.