LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Telescope Eyepiece box

I have been commisioned by a young man who is an ameture astronomer to build for him an eyepiece box. That is, a box that will hold all of his eyepieces, his filters and his maps without any damage to the pieces.

He travels with his telescopes every year to SC, I believe, so it needs to be secure enough to not open up on him and to withstand an accidental tumble or two.

I have had to learn how to use a dovetail jig and have done pretty well with it. However, due to my lack of proper planning, I have found that I will have to hide the corners because of some channeling mistakes I made on the inside of the box.

I am sure that the end result will far exceed my expectations, so I am very hopeful.

As soon as I have a moment to figure out how to embed photos, I will begin to add them as I progress.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Telescope Eyepiece box

I have been commisioned by a young man who is an ameture astronomer to build for him an eyepiece box. That is, a box that will hold all of his eyepieces, his filters and his maps without any damage to the pieces.

He travels with his telescopes every year to SC, I believe, so it needs to be secure enough to not open up on him and to withstand an accidental tumble or two.

I have had to learn how to use a dovetail jig and have done pretty well with it. However, due to my lack of proper planning, I have found that I will have to hide the corners because of some channeling mistakes I made on the inside of the box.

I am sure that the end result will far exceed my expectations, so I am very hopeful.

As soon as I have a moment to figure out how to embed photos, I will begin to add them as I progress.
Here are some pictures of the project so far.

Putting in the interior.

Creating the interior

Here is a shot after i have made some corner molding. Checking the fit and the look with the straight molding I wanted to use.

What it will look like

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More pictures

I have been busy, as of late, with actual work, going out of the shop to build, so I have been slow at getting pictures of this box uploaded. For any who are interested, here are current pictures. I need to put a finish on it, molding on it and complete the interior. (A small box that will be able to be lifted out for filters.) Last, but not least, I need to add some sort of handle on each side.

Photobucket

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More pictures

I have been busy, as of late, with actual work, going out of the shop to build, so I have been slow at getting pictures of this box uploaded. For any who are interested, here are current pictures. I need to put a finish on it, molding on it and complete the interior. (A small box that will be able to be lifted out for filters.) Last, but not least, I need to add some sort of handle on each side.

Photobucket
I also just figured out how to do the whole blog entry thing, sorry.

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
More pictures

Photobucket
Ok

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.