LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35,383 Posts
Not woodworking, but it is nice to know just where we stand in the universe.
6 and 1/2 minutes long.

The known Universe by The American Museum of Natural History.

If you go to the link you get a little explanation about the video. If you click the YouTube link you just get the video / in a smaller window also.

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
thanks for the link, this is one of my favorite subjects. when you look at the stars, and the universe it makes you realize how small we are, and how absurd all the petty political arguments and wars between the people on out planet really are, and what a waste of time and energy they prove to be.

nice find!

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Wow, it is truly amazing what is out there and how small we are in relation. It is astonishing what we know, but what is even more astonishing is what we don't know… yet.

·
Registered
13,760 Posts
thanks karson ,
i wonder when we will have some LJ's

from out there ?

and what kind of wood they have ?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Definitely interesting, yet quaint. While the sheer size is fascinating, it's effectively meaningless in regards to value and significance. Compare the value of a 2 cubic foot diamond with a 2 cubic mile landfill … bigger is not necessarily better. Or, compare the significance of a newborn infant with a full grown elephant and again, size does not enter the equation. Size is too often over-rated.

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Simply breathtaking, thank you for posting!

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
What do you mean, Karson, by stating that it's not woodworking? I'm already dreaming of the exotic lumber species we're gonna find someday on other planets! Somewhere, out there, is a species of tree that is quarter-sawn no matter how you slice it, air-dries in a week, and sharpens your planes and saws as you cut it. Or, when you log it, it unrolls itself like a carpet to reveal beautiful veneers, ready to use. Lumber that heals itself if you accidentally cut it too short. Sawdust that evaporates, and smells like patchouli when it is milled. It's out there, somewhere!

·
Registered
35,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm with you. There is no reason to believe that we have all of the known woods available to us. Why there is probably some wood in our own country that is known by locals and no one else.

We see Degoose showing us all of his beautiful Australian woods and when have you touched any of them. And we are finding wood in bogs that is so beautiful.

I want to see some of the lumber from Mars. It's probably burried under all that ice that they are starting to find.

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
<---hears the sound effect of screeching tires…..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.